Colorado Muzzy Elk or 1st Rifle

I’ll be going on my first ML deer hunt this fall. I’m debating between buying a ML or borrowing a friends for that hunt.

The reason for the debate is that I’ve considered Colorado muzzle loader elk and was considering applying for the 2025 season. Recently, however, I’ve thought about going for 1st rifle instead. I’ve hunted Colorado OTC archery a couple of times during the ML season and being a shitty archery hunter I’ve never closed the distance. I’ve been close… but no dice… So… Naturally a guy says, “if only I had a muzzleloader I would’ve killed a couple elk by now..”

The reason for considering rifle is that I already own a rifle and have taken many animals with rifles in the past, but no elk.

A lot of “I don’t knows” right now and looking for some guidance and advice from people who may have hunted both seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTFJohn

WKR
Six of one, half dozen of another for most areas.

MZ: First 2 days you'll have a surprise range advantage (vs archers), downside is archers coming in to calls or competing for bulls (esp if OTC archery unit). Timing is better relative to getting them in the rut/responsive to calling.

1R: First 2 days you'll have a surprise range advantage (coming off the break). Downside is bulls tend to be less vocal, and lots of the bigger ones will have worked their way away from the herds letting satellites clean up. Calling is less effective, glassing may be more effective. More likely to get a hard round of winter weather, making them start to move to transition areas vs staying on summer range.

Muzzleloader is 9 days and 1st rifle is 5 days. Starting in 2025 and continuing through 2029 1st rifle opens on Wednesday and ends on Sunday. Meaning if you can only hunt weekends you will be hunting the 4th and 5th days of season.

Poser

WKR
9 day season vs. 5 is a significant advantage. I'd say that on every single year I've been unsuccessful during 1st rifle, if I had a "few more days", I would have filled the tag. That being said, personally, I love 1st rifle season for elk. I love being out that time of year, the days a great length (not too long, not too short) and the cool weather. Its my go-to elk tag for Colorado, though I do help other folks with archery season even though I prioritize bear hunting in Sept.

If you're debating the merits of one vs. the other, I'd favor the amount of days you can hunt over any other factor.

OP
D
Amount of days is a good point.. I think I would probably be able to “scout” the 2-3 days before season though. I’m sure that’d help until opening day and the first shots are fired.

Is pressure typically lighter during 1st rifle since it’s all draw? I know ML is all draw but you still have archery hunters (deer and elk) and ML deer and bear hunters during the ML season.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
MZ: downside is archers coming in to calls or competing for bulls
As a bowhunter I find the opposite to be true......ML hunters coming into calls. I generally don't see or hear most ML hunters calling. I always try to hunt where no one else is, but since 2010 I've had 5 ML hunters work their way in and shoot bulls that I was working. In most of those cases they covered quite a distance when they heard the bugles. It was as if I was doing the calling for them while they worked into position for the shot. And in every case I never even knew they were there until I heard the shot. I don't blame them, they heard a lot of bugling and moved in for the kill.

IMO.....September is the absolute best month of the year to be in the mountains. But ML week has been pretty inconsistent the last few years from my experience.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Amount of days is a good point.. I think I would probably be able to “scout” the 2-3 days before season though. I’m sure that’d help until opening day and the first shots are fired.

Is pressure typically lighter during 1st rifle since it’s all draw? I know ML is all draw but you still have archery hunters (deer and elk) and ML deer and bear hunters during the ML season.

All seasons are more or less equal in pressure in my experience. You can be out there all on your own one day and see 20+ hunters another

If you are a serious elk hunter then get the muzzleloader, have all weapons - bow, muzzy and rifle, and apply for the tags you want to hunt.

What Marine4life said, muzzleloader. Way fun to hunt with. Most folks who get into muzzleloading soon realize it's fun, challenging, and the different season dates vs. rifle are pretty cool.

Hnthrdr

WKR
ML season is a week later this year... I cant wait
Probably the best week in a while… I’m jealous I don’t have a tag this year… also as an archer too I think Mz should replace 1st rifle, would give the elk more of a chance

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt how you enjoy hunting.

Want to call one in? Pick the weapon that let you hunt during the rut.

Don’t care about calling? Hunt any weapon you feel comfortable with.

Success is best served when hard earned. The weapon likely won’t be the difference maker. You will be the difference maker.