Are Colorado GMUS worth it for 1st rifle elk?

It'll cost $15 to return your tag, sounds like your second choice option used to be an OTC unit newly gone to LE so probably not the best but it's not like there are no animals there. If you weren't planning to hunt because you weren't ready then it's probably not worth hunting but if you weren't planning to hunt because you thought you couldn't draw a tag then it may be a different story. Only you can decide. I'll say this, if you've never Elk hunted before you'll learn a lot heading out there and chasing them the first time so there's value just in that regard, and you may also get lucky.

11boo

WKR
Based on everything I've read here, I think you should return it.
No, I think he should keep the tag.
He could stay home grilling his favorite meat and support the fine hunting opportunities and our CPW with his small donation of a NR tag price. It could even be a bragging point.
Make a party out of it.

OP
dwhite3616
It'll cost $15 to return your tag, sounds like your second choice option used to be an OTC unit newly gone to LE so probably not the best but it's not like there are no animals there. If you weren't planning to hunt because you weren't ready then it's probably not worth hunting but if you weren't planning to hunt because you thought you couldn't draw a tag then it may be a different story. Only you can decide. I'll say this, if you've never Elk hunted before you'll learn a lot heading out there and chasing them the first time so there's value just in that regard, and you may also get lucky.
Yep it’d be a first for me. Went to Colorado for mulies last year for the first time and was successful. Not sure I’m ready for elk but won’t know if I don’t go

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
If you don’t have an extenuating circumstance that will prevent you from hunting, go out and hunt. There is still plenty of time to do research.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I want to see this post updated with an elk on the ground in November.

You’ve got a tag on the way with a ton of time to study up. Maybe you go and don’t even see an elk, but you’re still going to learn a ton for next time if you apply yourself.