Colorado corner crossing bill proposed

Nice to see a representative actually representing their constituents instead of just sending more $$ to Ukraine.

Rep. Brandi Bradley, a Republican from Littleton, has proposed House bill 1066, a law that would eliminate the possibility of trespassing charges against corner crossers and prevents landowners from erecting fences within 5 feet of the corner.

WCB

WKR
So you are in favor of taking land away from a land owner? Cause that is what you are doing. Also what about the fences that are already established. Going to pay for the land owner to move them back 5ft? As long as the fence is on the landowners property there should be ZERO limit as to distance from adjoining properties.

OP
Crowmangler
Respectfully, I don't want to take any land away from an owner, I'd just like to place my right foot on public land, step my left foot across to the other piece of public land & continue on my way to hunt on public land.
Essentially what is happening now is the private land owners are taking away our land because we can't access it.
I know this is not the same scenario but all across the country there are zoning laws that limit how close a property owner can put a fence or any other structure relative to their property line. That doesn't mean they don't still own the land.

So you are in favor of taking land away from a land owner? Cause that is what you are doing. Also what about the fences that are already established. Going to pay for the land owner to move them back 5ft? As long as the fence is on the landowners property there should be ZERO limit as to distance from adjoining properties.
I have an easement on my property, I don't think anyone's "taken away my land"

Nope, just from erecting a fence to prevent the public from a easing public. Just so you know, there is a ton of land building code that already exists. For example, you can’t build a new garage within 3 feet of your property line, stuff like that. It’s no different. No one is taking anyones land get a grip.

wytx

WKR
Yes , taking that 5 ft is taking private land. Not allowing a LO to fence his ensore property is in essence taking that part of their land.
Walking over the corner is fine.

This is not proposing an entire fence be moved. This is proposing only a 5' setback at the corner only. In essence this would create a 10' gap at the corner; I imagine it's this wide to provide for vehicle and equipment passage, primarily for maintenance reasons.

Yes , taking that 5 ft is taking private land. Not allowing a LO to fence his ensore property is in essence taking that part of their land.
Well, many don’t think walking the corner is fine hence the need for a change. So what’s your solution to the problem?

Ratbeetle

WKR
Are you ok with the public climbing the LO fence?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Agreed on the 5 foot rule. This is going to bog down the bill. How about “crossing within 5 feet of the corner on either side is legal”. That way no losing land, no moving fences, etc.