Coffee solutions camping/backpacking?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Well............this is a very important topic as coffee is absolutely vital in living. 😉
Now, I would love to take all the fancy smancy stuff with me including my bialetti BUT water is always a premium in the high country and cleanup is a pain in the ass.
Starbucks Via is simple, weighs nothing, is good coffee and will get rid of those freeze dried foods.....if you know what I mean.💩

Randy

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I use Alpine Start when backpacking When camping I use an Aeropress with my regular grind

I drink black every day. Usually whatever is on sale so Kroger brand. I was given a few of these a few years ago and it’s all I have anymore when hunting, camping, backpacking, etc. Oddly enough, they have sugar and cream in them and it’s the only time I drink coffee that way. They’re a nice treat on a cold and wet morning!B9EDD2C2-0EEB-4617-94E4-C3273AB61A9F.jpeg

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I run Starbucks Via’s (instant). I have tried pour overs before but if it is really cold I find the more I have to transfer hot water from container to container it can get cold pretty fast. This is extra true if you have to wait on the water to drip through filters. May not be as big of an issue in milder weather though. I used the Jetboil filter press accessory which worked ok, I found it difficult to keep the grinds out but they changed the design to a silicone seal around the outer rim and that may work better. The coffee was usually pretty good.
I’ve had the same problems, this is definitely true. Especially if you’re like me and don’t pack an insulated mug. I use instant when I’m hunting, pour over backpacking in the summer with my wife. Black rifle makes an instant that is pretty good too I prefer it to via

Drenalin

WKR.
I hate the Starbucks Via and the BRCCC instant. Mt Hagen is the best instant I've tried, but I prefer the dark roast Kuju pour over in the field.

I was getting tired of instant coffee too, but then I just started adding hot cocoa mix. I’ve dubbed it my Mountain Mocha (TM). It scratches the coffee/caffeine itch, covers the bad coffee flavor, gives you some extra sugar to work with, and requires no extra equipment or soggy trash.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Well you have filer or no filter.

I did cowboy coffee for 2 years when I was living single. Boil water, add coffee grounds directly to pot, after 5 or so minutes, pour cold water over the cup. Some science happens and the cold water sticks to the grounds and falls to the bottom.

On the go, I would tie coffee grounds in filters and make coffee tea bags.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
This and whatever coffee you wanna bring

3e603323faab9b872b5f8c61939cff06.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yup, Use it for Hobo coffee. Grounds directly in water boil, then pour though this or even cheese cloth.

Flyjunky

WKR
Typically I just go instant for the ease but sometimes I’ll use the jetboil coffee press.

ODB

WKR
The best instant coffee that tastes exactly like it does at home is…tea.

See what I did there?