Coffee solutions camping/backpacking?

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t like to carry presses, pots etc just to make some coffee. Don’t like to take the time to mess with all of that while hunting. Fire up the jet boil, add water and a couple Folgers coffee “tea bags”. Done.

Mt Al

WKR
I'm in the keep it simple camp:
Have a titanum mug that has a jetboil 3.5 oz fuel canister, folding fuel canister base, BRS/amazon small stove, hotlips protectors, small lighter, and tubes of via coffee all within the mug. It's tight and the mug's lid doesn't quite close. So, all this plus a 7"x7" piece of cotton T-shirt 'pot holder' then fits in a small draw string bag with a spork and more via/instant coffee tubes and another small lighter. Ends up being about the size of a softball.

Works great, takes up very little space, barely any time to make a few cups of coffee. The coffee isn't as good as pour through/press coffee but I don't care enough to add anything else to the kit.

FE17FC74-FF41-4FC0-B870-E87F6F510106.jpeg
Mount Hagen is as close as we’ve gotten to the taste of regular coffee. Can be found at some grocery stores and online. It’s the only coffee we carry in the field anymore. Just too hard to beat the taste, and the little packets are smaller and cheaper than Via packets.

Last year at sheep camp, we had a sheep guide and a hunter walk into our camp. They had walked the mountains a long way and stopped for a respite. I made the guide a cup of this coffee and he was surprised how good it was. Wanted to know the brand for future hunts.

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved

Best instant I’ve been turned on to. I love it. Just as good as legit coffee to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm always up to try another coffee for camping/backpacking and this sounded good, but I then realized I'd need to get a 2nd job to afford it since it's $50 for a 3.5 oz. jar. Yes, you read that right. $50 for a small jar of coffee.

Kinda reminds me of the milk shake scene in Pulp Fiction with Vincent and Mia. :D

Eddie

feanor

WKR
Kurig Elite. K cups. Not a snob but prefer stronger robust coffee. I've tried Starbucks via and Alpine. Usually use 2 sticks. It's... Passable. I picked up an Aeropress Go and Illy Classico Espresso grounds to try out. I'll prob pick up the other instants recommendations and the empty tea bags to try. 👌
Well it’s been said before but aeropress is the best way to go in the field for ease of use and CONSISTENT coffee( provided you have good beans and grinder).
I roast my own beans and am very particular about my coffee. But for hunting, I bite the bullet and go instant coffee. Too easy and lightweight. Makes me appreciate quality coffee when I get back home.
I am interested in the hagen stuff mentioned above.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Grounds and a steeping mechanism. Something like

Or

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Anglers Coffee, coffee comes in these little tea bags all ground, you just drop it in the hot water, bags are biodegradable.

ljaq516

FNG
Pour over at camp instant in the field.

Damn, you’re fancy! But I like your style lol. I’d say if you’re packing coffee to “enjoy” at camp, then gotta go with pour over method, Hario V60, Kalita wave, etc. Or the very least an Aeropress. I’ll find myself reaching for the Aeropress even in the comfort of my own home. Now if your backpacking/hunting and the coffee is purely caffeine intake it might be impractical to pack those methods. Although Aeropress packs pretty small. But a nice compromise is one of those single serve pour overs like from Copper Cow. You’re already packing a stove and heating vessel, might as well have good coffee while you’re out there.
Copper Cow Coffee, Original Vietnam...Kit 5 Count, 7.4 Ounce https://a.co/d/hiWG27a

fmyth

WKR
Damn, you’re fancy! But I like your style lol. I’d say if you’re packing coffee to “enjoy” at camp, then gotta go with pour over method, Hario V60, Kalita wave, etc. Or the very least an Aeropress. I’ll find myself reaching for the Aeropress even in the comfort of my own home. Now if your backpacking/hunting and the coffee is purely caffeine intake it might be impractical to pack those methods. Although Aeropress packs pretty small. But a nice compromise is one of those single serve pour overs like from Copper Cow. You’re already packing a stove and heating vessel, might as well have good coffee while you’re out there.
Copper Cow Coffee, Original Vietnamese Pour Over Coffee Kit 5 Count, 7.4 Ounce https://a.co/d/hiWG27a

I love my aeropress but learned a valuable lesson: Be damn sure your coffee cup is on a stable level surface before you press. I was making a cup in the field and the cup was not exactly level and as I pressed it slipped to the side and tipped and I burned the sh*t out of my hand. Probably couldn't do it again if I tried but as they say "once bitten...".

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
This and whatever coffee you wanna bring

3e603323faab9b872b5f8c61939cff06.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am going to order this. Not for the coffee, but for a sure-fire way to get a bull to walk in on me while I am fiddling with it.

ljaq516

FNG
I love my aeropress but learned a valuable lesson: Be damn sure your coffee cup is on a stable level surface before you press. I was making a cup in the field and the cup was not exactly level and as I pressed it slipped to the side and tipped and I burned the sh*t out of my hand. Probably couldn't do it again if I tried but as they say "once bitten...".
Oh no lol. Thanks for the tip. Luckily it hasn't happened to me yet. I think subconsciously I've been on a flat stable surface for when I press.

I have pretty high standards at home. When I’m in the field, standards become much lower. freeze dried food is good. Spam is good. anything hot in a cup is good. Starbucks via is super easy and really not that bad.

Dejhavu

FNG
I typically just do a one cup pore over. And bring my creamer. It just tastes better when your camping or backpacking.