Coffee solutions camping/backpacking?

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
To the OP, I know you’re tired of instant and I can relate. Over the course of a season I make well over a hundred cups in the mountains. The convenience of the single serve packets are what keeps me using them. I try to mix as many different brands into my program so I don’t get burned out on any one of them.

These just arrived on the market and I will adding them in this spring. From what I’ve tasted so far, they are a great option.

5f14467b1cb33d15dcfc4e4306f6484d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Mt hagen's instant crowd. The mess of a press and potential for it to get cold makes me think it would be too much trouble for the final result. I bring a little bag of Simple truth organic coconut creamer from Kroger if u need that.

Steelhead

FNG
I freaking love fresh ground through the AeroPress. However, I hate hauling in the grounds due to space/weight and if I try to bring just enough it get's VERY concerning when I still have a few days to hunt but getting dangerously low on grounds. And inevitably one of my hunting pards will start to ask for "extra" coffee around that same time.
So, unless its just a couple days in the field I just default to the SB Via Pike's packets. Lightweight, consistent and I can take way more than I need for "emergencies". I consider myself a coffee snob but practicality and efficiency outweighs preference after around day 4-5 of the backcountry grind.
But car-camping, or close-to-car-camping, its pour over or AeroPress every day.

Another vote for Via. When it is windy and cold, the last thing I want to do is fumble around with a press or a filter for a pour over. Quick jetboil to heat the water, and then good to go.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Put favorite coffee in a reusable bag and boil cowboy coffee in a pot
or pack in a percolator pot , if instant coffee is not your thing

but instant coffee is better than no coffee 🤤🤤🤤

Last edited:

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
They make coffee bags just like tea bags.
I don’t drink coffee but that’s what others use I’ve been with.
A Percolator coffee pot just takes too long..

jimh406

WKR
I just recently switched to Starbucks Blonde Espresso in a Nespreso. I find it pretty good. I haven't bought any ground or beans yet, but I'm probably going to switch from regular espresso roast.

I use a pour over similar to this away from the house if I drink coffee. Just takes boiled water. Some instant in individual packs like what Starbucks makes is decent as well.

dtrkyman

WKR
None, problem solved.

Just busting chops, I get a lot of strange reactions when I tell people I don't drink coffee or alcohol. So even though I have nothing constructive to add I still read some of this thread. Off season boredom?

rayporter

WKR
my pard did not drink coffee but he got head aches when we hit the high country. one year i had him take a nodoz for the caffine and his headaches went away. caffine withdrawal. it was from drinking pepsi all day while he delivered mail. he went to caffine free and had no more troubles.

i hate the instant and use any of the bags.

CMF

WKR
We've tried instant, french press, etc. We've found the Foldiers t-bag style to be the best tasting and easiest to make on the trail or the road. The jetboil and coffee lives under the truck seat for roadtrips, hunting, etc.

JjamesIII

WKR
Black Rifle Coffee makes their coffee in tea bags…..perfect for back packing and it’s phenomenal taste!
You can find them elsewhere and a lot cheaper. Those bags are fantastic 👍🏻 I used to French press, but these are a lot cleaner and quicker when you’re trying to beat sunrise.

WCB

WKR
Why not just make your own tea bags with Coffee grounds in them. You can buy like 200 unfilled teabags for like $5 and just use whatever coffee you want.

I fill my own tea bags with Folgers same stuff I drink at home. If I am just around the truck and forgot pre made tea bag stuff...just throw some grounds in a rolling pot or in the Jet boil and call it good.

Jet boil + kettle + portable pour-over set or french press. Someone recommended the aero press, which would be very handy in a pack.

bdan68

WKR
I drink coffee almost every day, in the morning, when I'm at home. But while backpacking I'll just drink water. I don't have time to mess around making coffee.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dean757

FNG
The question is: what’s your standard at home? Then we can narrow down what you want in the field.
Kurig Elite. K cups. Not a snob but prefer stronger robust coffee. I've tried Starbucks via and Alpine. Usually use 2 sticks. It's... Passable. I picked up an Aeropress Go and Illy Classico Espresso grounds to try out. I'll prob pick up the other instants recommendations and the empty tea bags to try. 👌