CO Proposed Changes for 2020

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
The fact of the matter is, CO poops on its resident hunters more than any western state. It is a dumping ground for those that don't get tags elsewhere. As mentioned above about the 16% growth of NR hunters...as it gets harder and harder to get elk tags in other states, the amount of NR hunters will continue to skyrocket and things will only get worse.

Let's just go full limited draw and get this over with. The excuse of "I love OTC because if I don't draw elsewhere I know I have a place to hunt" is garbage. If you want to hunt CO, hunt it. One state cannot support everyone that fails to draw in the other states.

MOSO 300

FNG
He’s just saying 13X higher is a little ridiculous I’d say as a resident my entire life that they should raid our tag prices as well, if we are gonna pull the WE own the animals card then shouldn’t we pay for their well being??? You wouldn’t make ur neighbor pay 80% of your dogs food, and vet bills for the year cause he watched him for you while you were hunting for a week would you??? It’s basically the same thing non residents come out and hunt our elk for a week or so a year but they have to pay for 80% of their maintenance via CPW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, I had this discussion with a friend in Wyoming. He kept saying we own (the state residents) the animals, my response was well all citizens own the federal land so I want some rent money for grazing “YOUR” animals on “OUR” land... that would be absurd, but that is the logic behind we own the animals. Justifying it doesn’t mean it’s logical or right.

HiCntry

FNG
Exactly, I had this discussion with a friend in Wyoming. He kept saying we own (the state residents) the animals, my response was well all citizens own the federal land so I want some rent money for grazing “YOUR” animals on “OUR” land... that would be absurd, but that is the logic behind we own the animals. Justifying it doesn’t mean it’s logical or right.

They do pay rent, they're called grazing fees. You can argue the details of the rates and you might not like the Federal government collecting them, allocating them and spending them on your behalf but grazing fees are exactly that, rent paid for the use of a public, in this case federal, resource.

MOSO 300

FNG
They do pay rent, they're called grazing fees. You can argue the details of the rates and you might not like the Federal government collecting them, allocating them and spending them on your behalf but grazing fees are exactly that, rent paid for the use of a public, in this case federal, resource.

Ok so I’m not being a smartass here but to be clear you are saying the fed charges each state s a grazing fee for elk, deer, bear specifically?

HiCntry

FNG
Ok so I’m not being a smartass here but to be clear you are saying the fed charges each state s a grazing fee for elk, deer, bear specifically?

My mistake, when you said grazing I thought you meant his livestock or something. I get what you're saying and this has been debated ad nauseum on every hunting forum since the dawn of the internet. But like it or not the settled law as of today is that the land is managed by the federal government and the animals are property of the state and they are allowed to manage them as they fit, within reason.

chindits

WKR
Well I finally read this whole thread. I think this was a depressing exchange of thoughts amongst the hunting community here. And to think we are actually a minor user group of public lands and we blame cpw for all our hunting woes.

My take away is that I had a great time hunting the last 20 years when I did hunt. Enjoy it while you got it.