CO Proposed Changes for 2020

wytx

WKR
What's criminal about the state charging non-residents more for hunting the resident-owned animals? The feds don't own the animals. The citizens of that state do.
Pretty sure that's been challenged in court and the states won.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That’s what they want until it starts affecting them, it will go to all draw like they wanted and suddenly even residents are gonna be going well how will I ever hunt a good unit if I can’t build points and still hunt then.... it’s gonna be CPW problem for making it that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really, it'll be a system just like Montana has. Residents buy tags for general units OTC, but they apply for LE units separately. You can build points for the premium units but still have the ability to hunt general units. Not hard to separate those on an application. If someone screws up and burns points on the wrong thing, then that's on them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Really annoys me when people say they are Colorado Residents deer and elk, but CO residents only help the CPW with like 20% of the entire costs. If you wanna pull the they’re my elk and deer card, you had better be donating $100,000 a year minimum to RMEF AND MULE DEER FOUNDATION, and putting in 100’s of hours worth of time volunteering to better the habitat of elk and deer. Otherwise they aren’t any more your animals than they are a non residents

Bullshit. That argument holds no water in reference to any state. They pay taxes, maintain roads, then NR come in and use like they own them. Does YOUR state charge NR hunters and anglers more than residents? If so, fix your own house first.

Who says it will be just like Montana? And why would the CPW give residents the opportunity to hunt every year but not the non residents who bring in the revenue. Be pretty stupid of them to do that but bet if they do that resident tags will double.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Who says it will be just like Montana? And why would the CPW give residents the opportunity to hunt every year but not the non residents who bring in the revenue. Be pretty stupid of them to do that but bet if they do that resident tags will double.

NR can hunt almost every year in MT. CO wants to fix crowding they can make hunters pick a zone, and put caps on those zones. You're a resident of CO, why do you care what happens with NR tags? Residents complain about NR, then when they want to control NR numbers, residents complain that their tags will go up. Can't have it both ways.

sneaky

"DADDY"

I was using MT as an example, nothing more.

What’s it matter why I care about non resident tags? I feel everyone should have a fair shot at huntin Colorado. Sorry I’m kind of a person out for fairness of the hunting community instead of just my own personal gain and benefits. When it comes down to hunting everyone that has tags should have a say in it, not just the “residents”. And CPW isn’t the ones worried about the overcrowding, its the “residents” they feel they should walk into an area and the non residents should leave. Sorry you did scout the area all summer and a non resident shows up and says looks like a good spot let’s try it. It happens welcome to public lands, non residents have just as much legality to hunting any area as anyone else. Residents need to quit being so selfish, guess just cause I’m not a transplant resident and spend more time than a lot in the woods I see God’s creations a little different than being just mine cause I live here.

tdhanses

WKR
So I feel like I just entered a conversation with my wife. She hears only what she wants to here in a conversation. So lets be clear, I did not say "I wanted it to go to Traditional". I like hunting with a compound as much as the next guy. I knew that my post might push some buttons because most compound shooters cannot hit the side of a barn with traditional equipment. Traditional certainly limits you opportunities and is much more of a challenge and actually is a developed skill set that few have the desire or the time to try to master. My comment was " Before everything goes to draw only "... and if the intent was to minimize the number of Archers. As far as selfishness, Yes and foremost I would like to continue to have the opportunity hunt Colorado. If it meant that I would have to pick up a traditional bow, I would certainly do so. I certainly made no comment on minimizing other hunters allocated hunting dates.
So to be clear, again, the wife comment is there to be funny not to get anyone's panties in a wad.

Yes and it used to be more difficult to drive a semi, tractor etc, cars used to be easy to work on as well. I didn’t only read what I want to, you said you would pref it go trad instead of 100% draw and that you would be ok if it was based on this. You would still have plenty of opportunity at 100% draw, look at how easy it is to get a deer tag if you want one. No way would all the current otc units take a pt or more to draw, heck some take 0 for 1st rifle elk.

Just because technology may make it easier to “target” shoot it does not reduce the skills needed to be effective, or you would see much higher level of success.

There is more to hunting then the weapon and how accurate you are, to me you more likely to wound game shoot trad compared to today’s compounds.

I guess my point is, if any group is going to lose anything it’ll be archery, while it has seen growth it still isn’t at the level of rifle participation and success for managing wildlife. I have a hard time hunting elk without my bow, it’s just too much fun.

My vote is for Alt 1. I’d like to see far less cows taken and the herds built back up. They will still sell many bull only tags and pressure will still be there but.... no one said hunting is easy.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I am still of the opinion that most of the crowding issues are due to guys being to lazy to spread out a lot of land in Colorado. The biggest and worst problem we have is the miss use of funds by parks and wildlife.

A lot of the overcrowding isn't from bowhunters at all. There are a handful of rifle seasons that fall in the archery season, as well as it being great weather for hikers, bikers, campers etc. Archery numbers are at a high, yes, but they hardly account for all of the overcrowding issues in late August - September.

njdoxie

WKR
Bullshit. That argument holds no water in reference to any state. They pay taxes, maintain roads, then NR come in and use like they own them. Does YOUR state charge NR hunters and anglers more than residents? If so, fix your own house first.

But nonresidents are there for such a short period of time that road use is very minimal, nothing compared to the people who live there and ride the roads daily.

Yes, most states charge more for non residents but nothing like the western states do, the western states borderline gouge.

sneaky

"DADDY"
But nonresidents are there for such a short period of time that road use is very minimal, nothing compared to the people who live there and ride the roads daily.

Yes, most states charge more for non residents but nothing like the western states do, the western states borderline gouge.

So you and BAG want to advocate for a single payer licensing and tag system? The western states charge higher prices because it is a much more finite resource than whitetails back east. Not even debatable. You have a larger group of people wanting to hunt a diminishing resource, which face it, that's exactly what's happening in the west with mule deer. If you don't incentivize it for residents, then you lose your on the ground support base. NR aren't coming out and doing work projects with fish and game, guzzler work with MDF and RMEF, those are all locals. You want to give everyone the same piece of the pie? Then they can do their share of the work, instead of showing up and shooting stuff and leaving.

Yes and it used to be more difficult to drive a semi, tractor etc, cars used to be easy to work on as well. I didn’t only read what I want to, you said you would pref it go trad instead of 100% draw and that you would be ok if it was based on this. You would still have plenty of opportunity at 100% draw, look at how easy it is to get a deer tag if you want one. No way would all the current otc units take a pt or more to draw, heck some take 0 for 1st rifle elk.

Just because technology may make it easier to “target” shoot it does not reduce the skills needed to be effective, or you would see much higher level of success.

There is more to hunting then the weapon and how accurate you are, to me you more likely to wound game shoot trad compared to today’s compounds.

I guess my point is, if any group is going to lose anything it’ll be archery, while it has seen growth it still isn’t at the level of rifle participation and success for managing wildlife. I have a hard time hunting elk without my bow, it’s just too much fun.

My vote is for Alt 1. I’d like to see far less cows taken and the herds built back up. They will still sell many bull only tags and pressure will still be there but.... no one said hunting is easy.

Bow hunter for life! I will be putting in for draws from now on to start earning points in case OTC is eliminated. Keep on hunting!

Foldem

WKR
What’s it matter why I care about non resident tags? I feel everyone should have a fair shot at huntin Colorado. Sorry I’m kind of a person out for fairness of the hunting community instead of just my own personal gain and benefits. When it comes down to hunting everyone that has tags should have a say in it, not just the “residents”. And CPW isn’t the ones worried about the overcrowding, its the “residents” they feel they should walk into an area and the non residents should leave. Sorry you did scout the area all summer and a non resident shows up and says looks like a good spot let’s try it. It happens welcome to public lands, non residents have just as much legality to hunting any area as anyone else. Residents need to quit being so selfish, guess just cause I’m not a transplant resident and spend more time than a lot in the woods I see God’s creations a little different than being just mine cause I live here.

Aren’t you a guide or outfitter? Seems like you’d have an economic interest in wanting more NR hunters.

TravisIN

WKR
Us hunters sure find a lot to fight about amongst ourselves. I see both sides of most of these arguments. We all talk about overcrowding of hunters but what about the non hunters. They do nothing at all for any of it and screw up just as many hunts as the worst hunter out there. Instead of the resident/non resident fight, how about the hunter/nonhunter fight. They contribute nothing in tags or PR taxes but are against us completely. Only hunted CO once but have been a non resident in many other states and two provinces and non hunters have been more of an issue than hunters in most cases. I DO think residents should have perks over non residents, they live there and pay all he other taxes. I DONT think non residents should be looked at like dog shit bc we are non residents. we are generally only there for a short time and pay a lot compared to how much we use it. I hope they make changes that help us all out but mainly hope they don’t make things worse for the herds and do what’s right. We’re definitely not all gonna agree on everything but think there are some things we can all agree on and we should focus on those things a little more than the constant debating. Just my 2 cents

Marble

WKR
Until mandatory harvest reporting is implemented I won't believe that CPW makes any decisions that arent based purely on revenue.
They started this in CA a few years ago. It's like $25 if you do not report. I got hit for $100 the first year and haven't missed since.

I do get a phone call each year from CO fish and wildlife asking me a bunch of questions. So they are doing something.

Aren’t you a guide or outfitter? Seems like you’d have an economic interest in wanting more NR hunters.

This has nothing to do with my profession, I did not voice my opinion based on my profession. I have many friends who come out and hunt with me, NON CLIENT BASED, That are reliant on OTC tags when they do not draw tags. I have 10 friends a year that our yearly tradition is getting together and hunting, so they have all also voiced their opinion on the hunting seasons. But based on the alternatives not a whole lot of these alternatives are going to cut down a whole lot on overcrowding but rather just changing the seasons.

Has all to do with season structure not tag structure