CO Proposed Changes for 2020

tdhanses

WKR
They started this in CA a few years ago. It's like $25 if you do not report. I got hit for $100 the first year and haven't missed since.

I do get a phone call each year from CO fish and wildlife asking me a bunch of questions. So they are doing something.

Please please please leave CA regs in CA! Last thing we need is more expansion of CA policy.

What’s it matter why I care about non resident tags? I feel everyone should have a fair shot at huntin Colorado. Sorry I’m kind of a person out for fairness of the hunting community instead of just my own personal gain and benefits. When it comes down to hunting everyone that has tags should have a say in it, not just the “residents”. And CPW isn’t the ones worried about the overcrowding, its the “residents” they feel they should walk into an area and the non residents should leave. Sorry you did scout the area all summer and a non resident shows up and says looks like a good spot let’s try it. It happens welcome to public lands, non residents have just as much legality to hunting any area as anyone else. Residents need to quit being so selfish, guess just cause I’m not a transplant resident and spend more time than a lot in the woods I see God’s creations a little different than being just mine cause I live here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You aren't the only one who sees it that way BAG. Tribalism is what's going to take down this once great nation. My state, my county, my town. Whatever. God made it all to begin with.

I don't believe for one second CPW gives a hoot about our opinions. Its is just a formality.
I'll second that just based on what I see with our own G&F here in NM. They make up their mind to do something, then ask for input just so they can say they asked for public input. Kind of a false transparency I guess you could say.

sndmn11

WKR
This has nothing to do with my profession, I did not voice my opinion based on my profession. I have many friends who come out and hunt with me, NON CLIENT BASED, That are reliant on OTC tags when they do not draw tags. I have 10 friends a year that our yearly tradition is getting together and hunting, so they have all also voiced their opinion on the hunting seasons. But based on the alternatives not a whole lot of these alternatives are going to cut down a whole lot on overcrowding but rather just changing the seasons.

Has all to do with season structure not tag structure

I am curious if there are annual trips to their home states as well? Also, what factors lead to Colorado being the/a choice for establishing the tradition of ten friends?

FLS

WKR
The archery OTC tags are a cash cow with minimal impact on the herd. I can’t see them giving that up. IF they do,
a GMU based cap on non res OTC tags would make the most sense. Allowing opportunity while controlling overcrowding and spreading out hunting pressure.

The CBA (Colorado Bowhunters Association) is trying to put in a 5th alternative that severely cuts down non resident opportunities as well, but not sure if it will be on there.

Personally I understand them wanting to cut down on over crowding ect, but I looked at this from three points 1) a wildlife conservation 2) a hunter/sportsman and 3) an outfitter. I put my opinion as an outfitter last cause it’s not all about money to me.

Personally, I believe the wildlife comes first, their conservation is most important, second I believe everyone whether resident or non resident deserves the opportunity to hunt Colorado. We shouldn’t be pushing them out because they live somewhere else, I wouldn’t want them doing it to me if I ever wanted to hunt out east or another western state. I truly believe having an early rifle bull season would be detrimental to the herds, I think they need that few weeks between archery and first rifle to recover, finish breeding and have some relaxation. The archery season imo is pretty well set I like the setup and believe changing certain units to help conservation is a smart idea. As they did in eagle county. I always hated having to wait a week during archery to start hunting bears, I think run those season in tune with each other cause I always see bears the first week of archery and have to hold off. I can’t exactly remember how exactly I “voted” but it was pretty close to keeping the season structure the same. I think the only change I really thought was good was cutting 3rd rifle down to 5 days and giving more time between hunting seasons (helps me out as an outfitter to get things fixed and moved around between seasons)

That’s my opinion and I know my opinion still has flaws but there isn’t a wrong answer for the questionnaire and however it comes about is what we will have to deal with for 5 years.

How is asking for a reasonable cap on NR's "severely limiting"?

We don't have 50,000 archery elk hunters. We have 35,000 OTC hunters. That has grown from 24,000 TWENTY YEARS AGO. We have 6525 limited elk licenses. That is 41,525 archery elk bowhunters. We do sell B list cow tags, unless you can give me a CPW report that suggests otherwise - those are the same hunters!

Get your facts straight. Look at the last appendix 52/48 split, compare that to rifle OTC.

Attachments

• CBA Early Season Alternative 5 for BGSS 2020-24.pdf
    429.6 KB · Views: 4
I am curious if there are annual trips to their home states as well? Also, what factors lead to Colorado being the/a choice for establishing the tradition of ten friends?

Our annual trips are to Colorado because it is a pretty central location for us. Plus most of them have family still in Colorado so they can hunt and see their family. The ease of OTC tags that we can all get is great since some put in for muzzle loader and if they don’t draw they simply archery hunt. It’s how we do it and how we enjoy it

sndmn11

WKR
Our annual trips are to Colorado because it is a pretty central location for us. Plus most of them have family still in Colorado so they can hunt and see their family. The ease of OTC tags that we can all get is great since some put in for muzzle loader and if they don’t draw they simply archery hunt. It’s how we do it and how we enjoy it

Sounds like Colorado offers something pretty unique for you guys. It also sounds like Colorado offers some really attractive things for a lot of folks from different states. Why would residents of Colorado not want to make the most out that demand? You used the words "ease" and "simply", and those two adjectives are why there have been calls for changes to make things a little more limited.

I personally wish it were much easier to hunt other states, but I am not holding my breath on it and would like to see Colorado tighten up and let others hunt their own states.

Another comment on this whole thing.

If you look at our last appendix, the last 5 years NR archery participation growth in OTC hunting areas = 16%. Resident growth, same period = 1.6% How should we fix growth, and crowding? duh? 10X growth in NR's.

The importance of resident hunters is in November at the ballot box box. Next year, we are supposed to have a freaking ballot initiative to introduce wolves. Non residents won't be voting on that. 30% of Montana residents according to USFWS hunt or fish. They can and do win challenges at the ballot box. 1 in 10 Coloradans buy a hunting or fishing license. We are going to get our asses kicked at the ballot box, and need to start recruiting RESIDENTS. If you don't take care of residents first - EVERYONE LOSES.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Bullshit. That argument holds no water in reference to any state. They pay taxes, maintain roads, then NR come in and use like they own them. Does YOUR state charge NR hunters and anglers more than residents? If so, fix your own house first.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Are you willing to give up Pitman-Robertson and LWCF funds so you can "own" the game in "your" state. How about those pesky Interstates 70 & 25. I guess we should rip them out too. You know because then you CO guys could "own" them without all those pesky non-residents funding them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you willing to give up Pitman-Robertson and LWCF funds so you can "own" the game in "your" state. How about those pesky Interstates 70 & 25. I guess we should rip them out too. You know because then you CO guys could "own" them without all those pesky non-residents funding them.
Riiiiight. Like every penny spent on PR goes to CO or every tax dollar spent in CT goes to fund 25 and 70. Great analogy as usual. Not. And I don't live in CO.

sndmn11

WKR
Another comment on this whole thing.

If you look at our last appendix, the last 5 years NR archery participation growth in OTC hunting areas = 16%. Resident growth, same period = 1.6% How should we fix growth, and crowding? duh? 10X growth in NR's.

The importance of resident hunters is in November at the ballot box box. Next year, we are supposed to have a freaking ballot initiative to introduce wolves. Non residents won't be voting on that. 30% of Montana residents according to USFWS hunt or fish. They can and do win challenges at the ballot box. 1 in 10 Coloradans buy a hunting or fishing license. We are going to get our asses kicked at the ballot box, and need to start recruiting RESIDENTS. If you don't take care of residents first - EVERYONE LOSES.

With people saying how easy it is to get something on the ballot, I keep thinking about why nobody introduces a ballot initiative to repeal Colorado Black Bear Hunting Initiative 10 from 1992.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Riiiiight. Like every penny spent on PR goes to CO or every tax dollar spent in CT goes to fund 25 and 70. Great analogy as usual. Not. And I don't live in CO.

I didn't say that, but 17% of CPW wildlife budget comes from PR alone as per their 2014-15 report. Those are CPW's statistics. It's already been mentioned but are you willing to give up the non Colorado funded portions of national forest, NWR's and BLM land. I'm leery of anyone who like to punitively project any user group as "use them like the own them" types of people. Those are your words.

In FL I think its absurd that we charge 5x the amount for alligator tags for NR vs residents. It's great for me personally, but don't think its fair. If we are serious about keeping our legacy of "hunting," which we all cherish, something that our children and their children's children can continue to do, then I think your logic works against that.

With people saying how easy it is to get something on the ballot, I keep thinking about why nobody introduces a ballot initiative to repeal Colorado Black Bear Hunting Initiative 10 from 1992.

It would be expensive, we can't get more than 2,000 to buy family memberships to the CBA. 35 measly bucks a pop, that is $70,000. We have a reserve fund, I expect the plan is to spend it in defense of the wolf ballot.

I would guess you would need 500k-million to run a ballot and advertising campaign. Just a guess.

Nothing is easy to get on a ballot, and some have been trying to run logistics, to see if it’s even going to be worth trying to get that going. If the bear season ever did get on a ballot I’m sure it would need to be so heavily regulated that many would throw a fit about it. But that’s what we would have to do in order to get some others to vote for it besides just sportsman. We would have to basically make it to where if we got baiting you’d get 1 site and would have to be registered with the CPW, or outfitters only legal to bait. Just to make it seem like this is going to be so heavily regulated that the amount of bears taken is going to be beneficial and not just a free for all. But that’s a different topic than this, but there are some people who are working on this and starting to try and see if it’s even possible

cnelk

WKR
The Colorado spring bear season/baiting topic sailed years ago. It aint coming back. Get over it.

Concentrate efforts your efforts on stopping the wolf re-introduction

The Colorado spring bear season/baiting topic sailed years ago. It aint coming back. Get over it.

Concentrate efforts your efforts on stopping the wolf re-introduction

Hard to co cent rate your efforts when the group in charge of stopping the Wolf doesn’t even inform you of the basics of what we can do to help besides, send us money.... I’ve asked for information from the coalition, they will not give me any information on anything because they think people are going to use that info for the other side. But I asked for a list of people i could email to help fight this, state officials type of people and they won’t give me any information, I can send that Information to 5,000 people on my email list who would mostly all write the reps and all that to help stop the Wolf. But haven’t seen much from the coalition.... so hard to focus my time on that

Sounds like Colorado offers something pretty unique for you guys. It also sounds like Colorado offers some really attractive things for a lot of folks from different states. Why would residents of Colorado not want to make the most out that demand? You used the words "ease" and "simply", and those two adjectives are why there have been calls for changes to make things a little more limited.

I personally wish it were much easier to hunt other states, but I am not holding my breath on it and would like to see Colorado tighten up and let others hunt their own states.

Even if it were easier to hunt NM as a non-resident (and I used to be a resident of New Mexico, so I know it pretty well), I would still go to Colorado to hunt. Why? Because I enjoy the higher elevation hunting more than the lower elevation, regardless of whether there are supposed to be "bigger bulls" or half the drive time. I go to CO to hunt for the scenery as much as the hunting, if not moreso.

cnelk

WKR
But haven’t seen much from the coalition.... so hard to focus my time on that

Who's saying the coalition is the 'go-to' organization for the opposition?
Just because they started something?

The wolf re-introduction is not even a ballot initiative yet, but it is best to be prepared if/when it is.

Im not giving my $$ to anyone just yet - 'fools and their money soon part ways'

Here is a follow up CBA survey on BGSS. Total BS that we want to "severely limit" anyone. An apology would be nice. Click here: