CO Proposed Changes for 2020

Marble

WKR
I sometimes wonder how much the overcrowding during archery season has to do with the advances in archery technology. It seems guys and gals today are comfortable taking shots with their modern compounds that are several times further than I recall from the 80's and 90's. In some cases - as far as a lot of folks were comfortable shooting their muzzleloaders in those days.

Do you suppose that has anything to do with it?

I suppose one way to answer that would be to see how much the % harvest success has changed in the past 20-30 years during archery season, or perhaps the success hasn't changed that much but the "barrier to entry" (meaning how difficult it is to be proficient with archery tackle capable of taking an elk) has been lowered due to technology, putting many more hunters into the woods than in the past?
I think the advancements in archery may contribute to the surge. But more so I think things like Google earth, pod casts and the internet have provided sources of information previously only really available from hunters talking and learning from other hunters in the field.

Websites like Elk101, Onx hunting etc.

I know reading about how to do something isn't the same as doing it, but good lord, comparing what type of information was available in the 90s vs now is just unreal.

At 59, I do not have s lot of years left to sit around and try to get enough preference points to draw a special area. As a nonresident bowhunter, I depend upon OTC tags to be able to hunt. Draw only would pretty much remove the opportunity to elk hunt. I would prefer to see a archery skill test that one would need to qualify for before being allowed to hunt with Archery equipment. That would help eliminate a lot of unqualified archers who really are not competent with a bow. Before everthing goes to draw only I would rather see archery go back to traditional equipment only. That would eliminate 2/3rds or better of all archers. If they want to reduce the archer numbers go back to tradition recurve and longbows for archery season with a preseason proficiency test.

MOSO 300

FNG
At 59, I do not have s lot of years left to sit around and try to get enough preference points to draw a special area. As a nonresident bowhunter, I depend upon OTC tags to be able to hunt. Draw only would pretty much remove the opportunity to elk hunt. I would prefer to see a archery skill test that one would need to qualify for before being allowed to hunt with Archery equipment. That would help eliminate a lot of unqualified archers who really are not competent with a bow. Before everthing goes to draw only I would rather see archery go back to traditional equipment only. That would eliminate 2/3rds or better of all archers. If they want to reduce the archer numbers go back to tradition recurve and longbows for archery season with a preseason proficiency test.

That would eliminate way more than 2/3 of your archery hunters. Im not saying it’s a bad idea but from a revenue standpoint I don’t see CPW going that direction. Remember the guys making the decisions are just like politicians, they aren’t going to make a cut into their own wallet! Non resident tags are already over 13 times higher than resident tags. It’s nearly all Fed land that all tax payers pay for. That is absolutely criminal in its own right, but that’s another discussion entirely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read a great comment about the modernization of archery equipment, which is valid, but think of the difference in muzzleloader these days, companies boasting about 500 yard muzzleloader seems to defeat the entire ideology for the season.

Muzzleloader technology certainly has changed, but Colorado (and some other states like Idaho) have laws to limit the effectiveness of muzzleloaders. No pelletized powder, no sabots, and no scopes mean that nobody in Colorado could reasonably shoot 500 yards or even half that. I don't think I could shoot even 250 yards within a 6 inch kill zone even with a 0 MOA gun if using iron sights. With the proper restrictions I think the ideology of muzzleloader season can be upheld, and Colorado is one of the states that does the best job of that.

tdhanses

WKR

Kind of like an archery hunting cert, MT does that or did when I was a kid.

Kind of selfish to want to move everything to trad bow, I have zero desire to pick that up. Personally if that was the case I’d put my bow down and prefer to see archery season limited to a 9 day season and open up more muzzleloader and rifle draw tags.

Last edited:
I think the modernization of equipment has played a role, along with the improved access to information. But if archery seasons are specifically being looked at for overcrowding, then that points more to the ease of entry in that discipline. If everyone had to hunt with traditional bows, I think more people would choose muzzleloaders or modern firearms.

At some point, so-called "primitive arms" seasons need to get back to being primitive arms.

I commend Colorado for at least maintaining some degree of primitive technology in the muzzy season. I have zero problem with that. I like the rules they have - including allowing a closed breech and 209 primers (but loose powder) since nobody wants to have a hang-fire after working their butts off to finally get in position to shoot an elk with a muzzleloader.

tdhanses

WKR
I think the modernization of equipment has played a role, along with the improved access to information. But if archery seasons are specifically being looked at for overcrowding, then that points more to the ease of entry in that discipline. If everyone had to hunt with traditional bows, I think more people would choose muzzleloaders or modern firearms.

At some point, so-called "primitive arms" seasons need to get back to being primitive arms.

I commend Colorado for at least maintaining some degree of primitive technology in the muzzy season. I have zero problem with that. I like the rules they have - including allowing a closed breech and 209 primers (but loose powder) since nobody wants to have a hang-fire after working their butts off to finally get in position to shoot an elk with a muzzleloader.

Or it points to a generation with more disposable income.

Until mandatory harvest reporting is implemented I won't believe that CPW makes any decisions that arent based purely on revenue.

I believe that needs to be implemented, you want to apply next year you better have your report done for all Big game tags you had in the past year. Everyone complains about how CPW isnt accurate with herd counts and harvest reports, but they only have a little over 50% participation in harvest reports for deer and elk. I think it’s a great idea personally make it a pretty good report to how many days did you spend. estimated number of yearlings, does/cows, bucks/bulls. other hunters present. where did you hunt (make it semi specific like give a drainage and just make it to where they don’t release that part to anyone but gives them idea of herd masses in different areas). Quality of animals in the unit (antlered). Number of camps you encountered in the area. Recreational activity. Bears
In area. Mountain lions in the area. Success. Number of hunters in your camp. You get to fill one out per species elk/ deer if you held that tag.

Following year of you didn’t submit your report for deer you can’t apply or buy a deer tag until it’s done.

Non resident tags are already over 13 times higher than resident tags. It’s nearly all Fed land that all tax payers pay for. That is absolutely criminal in its own right, but that’s another discussion entirely!

What's criminal about the state charging non-residents more for hunting the resident-owned animals? The feds don't own the animals. The citizens of that state do.

He’s just saying 13X higher is a little ridiculous I’d say as a resident my entire life that they should raid our tag prices as well, if we are gonna pull the WE own the animals card then shouldn’t we pay for their well being??? You wouldn’t make ur neighbor pay 80% of your dogs food, and vet bills for the year cause he watched him for you while you were hunting for a week would you??? It’s basically the same thing non residents come out and hunt our elk for a week or so a year but they have to pay for 80% of their maintenance via CPW.

Kind of like an archery hunting cert, MT does that or did when I was a kid.

Kind of selfish to want to move everything to trad bow, I have zero desire to pick that up. Personally if that was the case I’d put my bow down and prefer to see archery season limited to a 9 day season and open up more muzzleloader and rifle draw tags.

So I feel like I just entered a conversation with my wife. She hears only what she wants to here in a conversation. So lets be clear, I did not say "I wanted it to go to Traditional". I like hunting with a compound as much as the next guy. I knew that my post might push some buttons because most compound shooters cannot hit the side of a barn with traditional equipment. Traditional certainly limits you opportunities and is much more of a challenge and actually is a developed skill set that few have the desire or the time to try to master. My comment was " Before everything goes to draw only "... and if the intent was to minimize the number of Archers. As far as selfishness, Yes and foremost I would like to continue to have the opportunity hunt Colorado. If it meant that I would have to pick up a traditional bow, I would certainly do so. I certainly made no comment on minimizing other hunters allocated hunting dates.
So to be clear, again, the wife comment is there to be funny not to get anyone's panties in a wad.

Last edited:

njdoxie

WKR

What some folks are thinking is have all licenses be draw, but basically guaranteed so you either hunt and burn any points you may have or don’t hunt and get a preference point, no more hunting AND getting a preference point.

That’s what they want until it starts affecting them, it will go to all draw like they wanted and suddenly even residents are gonna be going well how will I ever hunt a good unit if I can’t build points and still hunt then.... it’s gonna be CPW problem for making it that way

njdoxie

WKR
He’s just saying 13X higher is a little ridiculous I’d say as a resident my entire life that they should raid our tag prices as well, if we are gonna pull the WE own the animals card then shouldn’t we pay for their well being??? You wouldn’t make ur neighbor pay 80% of your dogs food, and vet bills for the year cause he watched him for you while you were hunting for a week would you??? It’s basically the same thing non residents come out and hunt our elk for a week or so a year but they have to pay for 80% of their maintenance via CPW.

Well said!

njdoxie

WKR
That’s what they want until it starts affecting them, it will go to all draw like they wanted and suddenly even residents are gonna be going well how will I ever hunt a good unit if I can’t build points and still hunt then.... it’s gonna be CPW problem for making it that way

I can’t seem to muster up any sympathy for someone who can hunt OTC tags but is unhappy they can’t hunt a LE unit, just be happy you can hunt every year.

I figured I need to start putting in for the draw in a few states starting in 2020 just so I can start accumulating some points now. At least I might be able to have acquired a few points in CO before it goes to draw only if they remove the OTC opportunity.

Well said!

Really annoys me when people say they are Colorado Residents deer and elk, but CO residents only help the CPW with like 20% of the entire costs. If you wanna pull the they’re my elk and deer card, you had better be donating $100,000 a year minimum to RMEF AND MULE DEER FOUNDATION, and putting in 100’s of hours worth of time volunteering to better the habitat of elk and deer. Otherwise they aren’t any more your animals than they are a non residents