Close distance shots with extra full chokes

Just curious if anyone has patterned their extra full/turkey chokes at closer distances than the 40-50 yards everyone talks about online. I’m looking to pick up a tighter choke for my 20 gauge, but just curious what the spread looks like closer in.

Scottf270

WKR
I sight in at 20 yards. I want to nearly blow a hole in the target. I get as close to perfect as possible with any error being a a smidge high. I then shoot pattern tests at 40. I don't really ever move my sight based on 40 yard targets. I'm checking spread and density.

OP
Y
I sight in at 20 yards. I want to nearly blow a hole in the target. I get as close to perfect as possible with any error being a a smidge high. I then shoot pattern tests at 40. I don't really ever move my sight based on 40 yard targets. I'm checking spread and density.
What’s your spread looking like at 20 yards?

Irish Miner

Lil-Rokslider
I have several times at <40 yrds. Usually 20 yards while sighting in with a red dot sight. At 20 you'll usually see a tennis ball sized hole in the target and sometimes even a hole from the wad at that distance. 30 is even tight and has made me realize how one could miss a bird closer in if you haven't sighted in and practiced.

OP
Y
I have several times at <40 yrds. Usually 20 yards while sighting in with a red dot sight. At 20 you'll usually see a tennis ball sized hole in the target and sometimes even a hole from the wad at that distance. 30 is even tight and has made me realize how one could miss a bird closer in if you haven't sighted in and practiced.
Thanks! Thats what I was wondering. Doesn’t leave too much room for movement.

OP
Y
Always good to shoot your gun, choke and load combo at varying distances on paper. Then you know for sure.
Yeah that’s the plan. Just trying to pick what constriction to go with and was curious what patterns on those extra full chokes look like closer up. Have a lot of wooded areas around and don’t know if the distance vs open pattern trade off is necessarily worthwhile for the tightest turkey chokes.

Fowl Play

WKR
With x-full turkey chokes. You are essentially shooting a slug the first 10 yards. I have decapitated turkeys at sub 10 yards with my setup. It is definitely easier to miss than you would think when they are very close, and shooting tight chokes.

If looking at a dedicated turkey rig, slap a red dot on it. You’ll never miss again.

OP
Y
Whether your shooting lead or tss as well as what shot size your using will have a direct effect on the patterns also.
Yeah, I can see there’s no getting by without trying a few different chokes and loads to see what’ll work best.

OP
Y
With x-full turkey chokes. You are essentially shooting a slug the first 10 yards. I have decapitated turkeys at sub 10 yards with my setup. It is definitely easier to miss than you would think when they are very close, and shooting tight chokes.

If looking at a dedicated turkey rig, slap a red dot on it. You’ll never miss again.
That definitely helps give some perspective at those closer distances.

Red dot will be on the list for sure.

JEck

WKR
Primos jelly head is a pretty good choke, volleyball sized patterns at 50-60 yards

dtrkyman

WKR
I figure if I can't hit em with a small pattern close then they get away! I've only missed a few in a lot of years and none were close!

Shot one at a few feet once, basically took his head off from his eyeball up!

I shoot TSS with a .555 choke so it's tight!

JEck

WKR
The cheap Winchester shells from Walmart…12 gauge 3.5” #5’s I think…it bucks your shoulder pretty good 😵‍💫

OP
Y
I figure if I can't hit em with a small pattern close then they get away! I've only missed a few in a lot of years and none were close!

Shot one at a few feet once, basically took his head off from his eyeball up!

I shoot TSS with a .555 choke so it's tight!
Good point!

I can image some serious damage that close up!

Chaser96

FNG
Honestly if you are shooting tss I’d go a little more open. The small shot will get tight enough patterns out to 50+ pretty easy. You don’t need the tightest pattern in the world to have good 20 and 50 patterns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider
It will be very tight. For some perspective, my dad shot one a few years back with a standard full at about 10 feet and the turkeys head turned to vapor. I can't imagine the pattern was much bigger than a golf ball

OP
Y
Honestly if you are shooting tss I’d go a little more open. The small shot will get tight enough patterns out to 50+ pretty easy. You don’t need the tightest pattern in the world to have good 20 and 50 patterns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the input. What constriction do you generally go with?