Climber or hang on with sticks for beginner?

First year going bowhunting on public land and was wondering what styler tree stand is better for a beginner, climber or hang on with sticks? Any suggestions on brand would be great too. Thanks!

Bcleck90

WKR
It’s going to depend on the type of trees in the area you’re hunting. I’d vote climber with a good harness (if we’re talking pine trees or something reasonably straight). I don’t care for heights and a climber is safer for me or at least in my head it is.

Edit to add. Summit would be a good place to start and also they’re easier to set up for me.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on where you will be hunting. Lots of areas you will have trouble just finding a tree that is even climbable with a climber. Some areas nearly every tree is perfectly straight without a limb for 20’.

I personally prefer a lock on and sticks. Limbs and crocked trees aren’t an issue and straight trees are fine aswell.

I’d push you towards a light weight lock on and light sticks. I didn’t like hunting out of a saddle for multiple reasons, but others love them.

I used to keep a climber around and used it when I knew I was hunting an area with straight trees until I eventually quit using it and sold it.

Whatever you decide on, practice with it to develop your system before the hunt.

OP
M
Depends on where you will be hunting. Lots of areas you will have trouble just finding a tree that is even climbable with a climber. Some areas nearly every tree is perfectly straight without a limb for 20’.

I personally prefer a lock on and sticks. Limbs and crocked trees aren’t an issue and straight trees are fine aswell.

I’d push you towards a light weight lock on and light sticks. I didn’t like hunting out of a saddle for multiple reasons, but others love them.

I used to keep a climber around and used it when I knew I was hunting an area with straight trees until I eventually quit using it and sold it.

Whatever you decide on, practice with it to develop your system before the hunt.
Thanks for the advice. Any particular brands you prefer for the lock on and sticks?

Lock on and sticks. I’ve used both and hate climbers.

Lonewolf makes a light weight lock on. I think hawk helium does as well.

Will you be hunting public land or private land? Shaving weight would be my main concern if you’re hunting public and burning boot leather.

I went to a saddle and ultimate one stick just to save weight. It comes with a big price tag though so if you’re new I’d suggest a lesser expensive option for now. With that being said you can always use the same sticks later if you decide to go to a saddle.

Once you go to saddle you won’t go back to a lock on, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
It’s going to depend on the type of trees in the area you’re hunting. I’d vote climber with a good harness (if we’re talking pine trees or something reasonably straight). I don’t care for heights and a climber is safer for me or at least in my head it is.

Edit to add. Summit would be a good place to start and also they’re easier to set up for me.
It does seem Summits are quite popular. Is there a noticeable difference in weight between their steel and aluminum stands?

Bcleck90

WKR
It’s been awhile since I looked at specific models/weights. If you’re a big dude I’d look at the Titan or Goliath. If not, just pick up a Viper.

SloppyJ

WKR
Are you setting it up every hunt or can you leave it? I'm going against the grain and saying a climber is a better option for a newbie. But it really depends on the trees in the area you hunt.

Sizthediz

WKR
What ever you decide make sure you get a harness (not one that comes with the stand, get something simple/easy to put on so you WILL put it on)and lifeline. And practice climbing and standing/sitting and shooting from it. So you can get comfortable. Good luck and stay safe

Sizthediz

WKR
Are you setting it up every hunt or can you leave it? I'm going against the grain and saying a climber is a better option for a newbie. But it really depends on the trees in the area you hunt.
If you can set up and leave get a ladderstand. Definitely will be easier

SloppyJ

WKR
If you can set up and leave get a ladderstand. Definitely will be easier
I'd rather hunt out of my climber than a ladder stand every time. If you can leave your climber on the tree then it doesn't get much better IMO.i wouldn't want to setup sticks every time I walk in but that's just me.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice. Any particular brands you prefer for the lock on and sticks?

It really depends on your budget. Novix is probably your cheapest usable option for a setup/tear down every day setup. If budget isn’t a concern look at lone wolf custom gear they are top of the line and very pricey.

I used novix (before their name change they used to be called lone wolf) for several years when I started and still use an original lone wolf assault stand. But I moved over to lighter climbing sticks. Either tethrd or beast sticks currently.

There is XOP which did have quality issues in the past. I think they may have them worked out, but I don’t have any experience with them and can’t personally recommend them.

When you get good with a quality lock on and sticks you can be setup in a tree quietly inside of 10 minutes. Expect more time until you get in a groove and develop a system.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I’m definitely a fan of sticks and a hang on. I feel more comfortable with it, more trees to climb in, I make less noise and it’s easier to carry for me. I’ve gone to a saddle but still use it with a hang on stand. Lots of guys swear by a climber but I never found it easy enough to look forward to using.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I tried everything and love my lone wolf hand climber. Packs small and super quiet going up a tree. Had deer under me in the dark multiple times as I was climbing, just stopped and let them wander off before finishing the climb. I use a saddle now, but still not a huge fan of the sticks that go with it.

Bert01

FNG
I’m in the south where pines are plentiful. Learned to use a climber when I was 13. I definitely see benefits to lock ons and saddles, but I have climbers that I can sleep comfortably in without fear of falling out lol.

To answer your question regarding viper weight. I have both and I think the weight difference is worth it to spend the extra $$ for the aluminum version.

signing off

Lil-Rokslider
How many climber guys are honestly tying a tree tether and moving it up as they go? My sample group of one(family member) makes me think the false sense of security with a climber puts a lot of guys at risk.
I like the stand/stick combo but want to just hear everyone operating safely.
My archery mentor lost his life during summer stand prep. TIE IN PLEASE!!!!!

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend a hang on and sticks or a saddle and sticks for a newbie. I started with a climber and hated it. I feel safer now in a saddle than anything. Sticks are super easy to set up and use with a little practice. A saddle is a longer learning curve but you can cut more weight and bulk with that system if it’s a priority.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Sticks and a lock-on are going to be more versatile than a climber, so I would recommend going with that setup. Climbers are great and very comfortable, but you’re going to be limited as to the trees you are able to get into. I’ve had too many experiences where you need to be in THAT specific tree to make a setup work, so I wouldn’t want to be hamstrung by my stand style.

My current lock-on setup:

- Novix Helo w/Textilene Seat Kit and Genesis 3D Printing Strap Stager
- 4x Tethrd One Sticks
- 2-Step Ultimaider
- Dryad Killdeer Harness
- 2x 8mm Rescue Tech for linemans and tether

One thing you MUST do is practice, practice, practice climbing (particularly with sticks) and hanging your stand. Start at ground level just practicing putting sticks on and the nuances of hanging/leveling/tightening the stand down. Practice climbing up and down with your sticks, then practice hanging the stand at height. I will definitely recommend the G3D Strap Stager, it is much easier to get the stand hung safely and quietly using it.

Remember you’re going to be doing this in the dark - either climbing in the dark or coming down in the dark. You should be totally comfortable with it before your first hunt. This stuff is dangerous, and lack of practice, complacency, and not treating it with the healthy respect it deserves gets a lot of hunters killed every year.

LostArra

WKR
Whatever you get be sure to practice on a tree at home or close to home with a friend around. Up and down a tree a dozen times would be a good place to start. Plus haul up your bow and take a few shots each time.