Using sticks with a climbing stand

rcb2000

WKR
You are missing the entire top half of the stand. With a lock-on, you step on to the foot platform.

With climber there is the whole top half you have to step over, sand then thru the seat area to the foot platform. The seat level is usually about knee high, the rail is another 12-16 inches higher. Take a good look at a picture of a climber. Yer basically gonna crotch-catch yerself if you slip.

You seem bent on doing this - good luck. Wear your harness and use a haul rope for your gear.
Exactly, I would never recommend doing this. That is not what that stand is designed to do..

I think you missed the part about rachet strapping the base part.

The seat part you push up head level.

Step onto the platform, attach safety strap, pull the seat part down.

I used this setup on my pards property in WV, that I hunted once a year.

Was climbing the tree with my climber.

Was a long pull up a steep hill, then climb. By time time I got setup, I was saked with sweat, not to mention what happens when you're in a climber, and that breakfast you ate reacts with the 2 coffees, and you're 20ft up in a climber....

So, I bought a set of 20ft sticks, and left them on the tree. Day before opener, I simply drive to the tree in my sxs, climb the sticks, lock on the base, push the seat part high.....done. 5 min setup.

Stepping on the platform is no different than a lock on.

After that, I still have to walk up the hill, catch my breath at the base of the tree, then climb the stick, and am setup in 2 mins. A lot quieter too, btw.

I killed a lot of nice bucks from that tree, one of my best all time setups, and the most comfortable.

This dude was taken from that tree......

View attachment 595508

Awesome. You do you.

Rich M

WKR
I push the top part of the climber up the tree to head height before I climb down after the hunt. After stepping on the lower platform off the climbing sticks I bring the top part (seat) down. The lower part is Ratchet strapped to the tree so it is stable. Top part never interferes with my stepping off the sticks to the platform. I have 3 Summit climbers I do this with and have several hang-on's I use. The Summit's are for me much more comfortable. That being said I owned a tree trimming service for over 30 years and make no mistake about it some guys should not climb trees!

I tie my top section in, not the bottom - never consider raising or lowering it while it is in the tree, but will work well raising it. Just a lot of effort to keep from buying a cable and lock.

Totally agree - old fat slow and still remember everything dad taught me about tree work - used to climb using knees and hands if the trunks were small enough to grip - then strap in before topping them. Now I use ladders and my Summit.

Tree 2.jpg

for those of you with climbers I would suggest checking out third hand archery online and grabbing a set of stabilizer straps night and day difference for stability and you won't drop your bottom half when climbing...
This. After I bought a set, I quickly decided I'd never use a climber without them!