Using sticks with a climbing stand

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone set up a climbing stand for long term use and used sticks to get into it throughout the season? There are some good deals on used climbing stands near me but I'd like to have a handful of pre set stands that aren't sitting at the base of the tree. I haven't used a climber but I imagine the awkward part would be getting down with sticks the first time after setting it up. What are your thoughts?

rcb2000

WKR
Absolutely a horrible idea.
Climbing stands are already some of the most dangerous in my opinion, and now you’re going to be stepping in and out of it from a set of sticks?
I don’t care how good the deal is, get yourself a proper set up, your life and safety is worth a couple hundred bucks.

OP
J

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely a horrible idea.
Climbing stands are already some of the most dangerous in my opinion, and now you’re going to be stepping in and out of it from a set of sticks?
I don’t care how good the deal is, get yourself a proper set up, your life and safety is worth a couple hundred bucks.
Lol, thanks , that's why I asked before getting one. What makes climbers less secure? I have a good mobile setup but these would be for leaving on public land and would be cheap enough to not worry about being stolen. The only thing I like about climbers is they look more comfortable with the guard rail and larger seat.

Swamp Fox

WKR
There is absolutely no reason you can't get into a climber safely from a set of sticks. Set the climber rock-solid, stay attached to the tree at all times, and don't put yourself in the position of having to be a contortionist or a magician's assistant climbing in.

It's a lot of bother, though. There are very comfortble hang-on stands that directly meet the need. If you need a guard rail other than for a shooting rest, you just need to gain more confidence in your harness system and climbing method.

That will come with time, practice and not cheaping out on gear.

rcb2000

WKR
Lol, thanks , that's why I asked before getting one. What makes climbers less secure? I have a good mobile setup but these would be for leaving on public land and would be cheap enough to not worry about being stolen. The only thing I like about climbers is they look more comfortable with the guard rail and larger seat.
Buy a $15 cable lock for bikes and lock them to the base of a tree. Throw some brush over them when you leave and you’ll be fine.

Climbing stands are finicky, and require constant adjusting as you go up the tree. The one time I’ve ever had a really scary moment was when the bottom of a climber fell out from under me.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I do with my summit once in a while. I ratchet strap the platform into the tree, instant lockon. that's the key to making it safe.

Just push the top portion high.

Most comfortable lock on setup youll use.

hiker270

WKR
I do with my summit once in a while. I ratchet strap the platform into the tree, instant lockon. that's the key to making it safe.

Yep this is exactly the setup I use. The Summit climbers I have get ratchet strapped to the tree. They are a lot more comfortable than a hang on.

Rich M

WKR
I prefer a climber over sticks and lock-ons. I'm 275# and have had both the sticks and the stands shift on me while stepping from one to the other. Couple oh-shit moments at 15-20 feet and you get over the popularity real quick. Simply won't use em.

Use a 20# Summit Climber and can climb the tree, sit in comfort (most lock-ons have crappy little seats), the top part doubles as a shooting rail. Carry it around on my back, or locked to the tree when I leave after dark for a pre-dawn entrance tomorrow. I've been known to sleep in my climber.

I use a cinch strap to secure the top part more. (same as i would a lock-on). There are 2 types of climbers - cheap and good. If buying one, spend a couple bucks and get a good one - same for lock-ons.

The idea of using sticks to access a climber is not practical due to the design - I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:

Zdub02

WKR
I do this on a permission piece. It is by far the sketchiest stand I've ever gotten into at dark thirty. Ratchet strapped to the tree and I added a lifeline but the stand is tall and stepping over the shooting rail adds to the pucker factor.

OP
J

jj554

Lil-Rokslider

When you are setting it up are you using the climber to get up the first time or are you carrying it up like a hang-on? After it's up and secure I don't see it being any different than climbing up to a hang-on.

tntrker

WKR
I do this all the time. I started out leaving my climbing stands and set stands up and taking in climbing steps. Went to saddle hunting and gotten used to the sticks. I like both the saddle and stand type hunts and now set up my stands before and just carry the sticks in when going to a stand. Just be sure to hang the stand at the proper level to where when you get to your last step, you are stepping either directly over, or slightly down, to your stand. you don't wanna step up to it. As always, make sure its secure and set. I still lock my stands even being 20' up...

Rich M

WKR
When you are setting it up are you using the climber to get up the first time or are you carrying it up like a hang-on? After it's up and secure I don't see it being any different than climbing up to a hang-on.

You are missing the entire top half of the stand. With a lock-on, you step on to the foot platform.

With climber there is the whole top half you have to step over, sand then thru the seat area to the foot platform. The seat level is usually about knee high, the rail is another 12-16 inches higher. Take a good look at a picture of a climber. Yer basically gonna crotch-catch yerself if you slip.

You seem bent on doing this - good luck. Wear your harness and use a haul rope for your gear.

OP
J

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
I do this on a permission piece. It is by far the sketchiest stand I've ever gotten into at dark thirty. Ratchet strapped to the tree and I added a lifeline but the stand is tall and stepping over the shooting rail adds to the pucker factor.
lol. I think I would bring an extra stick so I could be stepping down into the stand rather than up over the rail.
Why not just buy a nicer lock on since they will be cheaper than a good climber? Seems sketch to me.
I have a good lock-on for mobile hunting but for some reason locals are practically giving away good climbers so I thought if I could make use of them as stationary public land set ups for the whole season it would be worth the trouble. I could just leave them at the base of the tree like people do but there was a thief in my local gamelands last year.

OP
J

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer a climber over sticks and lock-ons. I'm 275# and have had both the sticks and the stands shift on me while stepping from one to the other. Couple oh-shit moments at 15-20 feet and you get over the popularity real quick. Simply won't use em.

Use a 20# Summit Climber and can climb the tree, sit in comfort (most lock-ons have crappy little seats), the top part doubles as a shooting rail. Carry it around on my back, or locked to the tree when I leave after dark for a pre-dawn entrance tomorrow. I've been known to sleep in my climber.

I use a cinch strap to secure the top part more. (same as i would a lock-on). There are 2 types of climbers - cheap and good. If buying one, spend a couple bucks and get a good one - same for lock-ons.

The idea of using sticks to access a climber is not practical due to the design - I wouldn't do it.
The only reason I was thinking of trying this was to avoid leaving the climbers at the base of the tree. A hunter near me had his stand stolen from that position.

hiker270

WKR
You are missing the entire top half of the stand. With a lock-on, you step on to the foot platform.

With climber there is the whole top half you have to step over, sand then thru the seat area to the foot platform. The seat level is usually about knee high, the rail is another 12-16 inches higher. Take a good look at a picture of a climber. Yer basically gonna crotch-catch yerself if you slip.

You seem bent on doing this - good luck. Wear your harness and use a haul rope for your gear.
I push the top part of the climber up the tree to head height before I climb down after the hunt. After stepping on the lower platform off the climbing sticks I bring the top part (seat) down. The lower part is Ratchet strapped to the tree so it is stable. Top part never interferes with my stepping off the sticks to the platform. I have 3 Summit climbers I do this with and have several hang-on's I use. The Summit's are for me much more comfortable. That being said I owned a tree trimming service for over 30 years and make no mistake about it some guys should not climb trees!

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it personally. Seems like a great way to have a stand kick on you in the dark and you end up in a wheelchair for life.

Drenalin

WKR
If you've got access to dirt cheap climbers, I don't know of a reason this wouldn't work. Set the sticks first, like you would with a hang-on. Strap the platform to the tree with a good ratchet strap (not a cheap cam lock strap) at your desired hunting height. Sticks so that you're stepping over onto the platform or slightly down onto it. Platform raised up so you're not stepping over it to get onto the platform. Stay strapped to a lifeline or use a lineman's belt (or both) all the way up, all the time. A lineman's belt will make setting everything up the first time exponentially easier. A Summit climber in particular is comfortable enough to make this worth the effort, but are generally bulkier than I would want for actually being mobile.

All that said, people steal hang-on set ups all the time.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't do it personally. Seems like a great way to have a stand kick on you in the dark and you end up in a wheelchair for life.
I think you missed the part about rachet strapping the base part.

The seat part you push up head level.

Step onto the platform, attach safety strap, pull the seat part down.

I used this setup on my pards property in WV, that I hunted once a year.

Was climbing the tree with my climber.

Was a long pull up a steep hill, then climb. By time time I got setup, I was saked with sweat, not to mention what happens when you're in a climber, and that breakfast you ate reacts with the 2 coffees, and you're 20ft up in a climber....

So, I bought a set of 20ft sticks, and left them on the tree. Day before opener, I simply drive to the tree in my sxs, climb the sticks, lock on the base, push the seat part high.....done. 5 min setup.

Stepping on the platform is no different than a lock on.

After that, I still have to walk up the hill, catch my breath at the base of the tree, then climb the stick, and am setup in 2 mins. A lot quieter too, btw.

I killed a lot of nice bucks from that tree, one of my best all time setups, and the most comfortable.

This dude was taken from that tree......

IMG_20131125_131848_159.jpg