Cigarette Lighter Air Compressor

treillw

WKR
My tires are prone to bead leaks when it gets cold out. Any recommendations on a good mini air compressor to keep in the vehicle?

Thanks!

I have the Slime compressor and plug kit from Walmart. Has a long coil hose to easily reach the back tires as well as filling my air bags.

dtrkyman

WKR
Had one that saved me from being stranded once, need another, it was slow as hell but got me enough to get to town for a repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobr1

WKR
Maybe slightly overkill. But Viair makes pretty solid small units. I know you said cigarette outlet but these hook directly to the battery like a jumper. A lot faster and you dont have to worry about them blowing a fuse. Just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
any of the viar brand are good. they pump a fair bit of air and dont have the super anoying tone the cheap ones have

Shraggs

WKR
I have one I think I got from shell oil on a mail offer. Works fine but slow...

I have struggled with my stock tundra wheels for 15 years. Finally broke down and bought New aftermarket wheels, same size. Problem solved. I don’t miss needed to top my air every week at all and worth the money.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Husky brand one from HD, I use it all the time after airing down to go out on the sand beaches to surf fish. It lives under the rear bench seat of my truck and has held up to a few years of the salt and beach environment. If it ever breaks, I wouldnt hesitate to pick up another Husky.

I thought about picking up a slim one. Small to fit on the motorcycle, sxs, and it would live in the truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacack

WKR
Maybe slightly overkill. But Viair makes pretty solid small units. I know you said cigarette outlet but these hook directly to the battery like a jumper. A lot faster and you dont have to worry about them blowing a fuse. Just a thought.

Have one and it's great, filled everything from atv to 35" bfgs.

Beendare

WKR
Its pretty easy to burn up one of these cheap $40 compressors in one fill of a truck tire. I would think twice if your unit plugs into the cigarette lighter....these are light duty.

Big difference between a Subaru tire....and a 33" Toyo Open Country truck tire.

FWIW, there types of equipment; Compressors, Welders, etc have a Duty Rating and its worth looking at it. For those unaware, Duty Rating is essentially how long you can run it for...then how long it needs to rest before running it again. So a $40 compressor can't go for 5 min straight at 80-100#, you will fry it. Understanding duty ratings will give you long life.

Truck tires need a decent compressor capable of high pressure and at least a 30% Duty Rating IMO....50% or more is better. Plus these require more juice so they don't plug into a cigarette lighter but clip directly to the battery.

I use this one a fair amount on Tractors, Trucks....and its decent.
Viair 30% duty

Titan

WKR
+1 for the Viair or similar. Way better than a 12v accessory plug unit. These go directly to the battery via clamps.

Tod osier

WKR

I'll second this. They are a lot faster, I have a viair 300P and it has been great, a lot more metal than the less expensive options too.

Rob5589

WKR
Viair is the brand we use in the off-roading community. Depending on your tire size, I'd look at the 88P or 300P. They are significantly more robust than the cheapie plastic comps you'll find in stores and will fill tires quickly. I use the 300P and it has been nothing but perfect.

isu22andy

WKR
I cant believe Dewalt or Milwaukee havent figured out a way to make one that looks like a cordless impact or drill.