Christensen Arms Ridgeline Reviews

jyako1962

FNG
I had handled a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in the local gunshop and liked it a lot, so I have been thinking of getting the gun in 300 win mag. BUT, I started looking at reviews by "customers" on different sites and they just rip the gun apart - it seemed that 7 out of 10 people had issues with the gun not functioning properly (cycling rounds, etc.), could not get anyone from Christensen Arms Customer Service to answer the phone, waiting 8 months for a repair to be done, etc. For how much "good" I've read in different magazines, this strikes me as odd.

What is the real scoop on these guns? Good quality gun, or is the company starting to turn out crap?

Thanks
Joe

Ram94

WKR
Had one in 7RM. Shot well enough but they’re just so clunky. Run the bolt on one and then immediately run the bolt on a Sako, Tikka, Fierce etc. The 700 style action doesn’t hold a candle.

I love em. Most of the negative experiences are from several years ago before they brought their barrel manufacturing in house. And even more are just “i heard” reviews. Talk to people who actually own them and have shot them. I own several that were purchase in the last 4 years and all of them are shooters. My 6.5 PRC does this with factory ammo all day long. C8D27AF1-7216-4220-A2DC-1C793B7DADE4.jpeg

I have several more buddies and family that own them - all shoot sub .75 moa with factory ammo. I just picked up a 280AI ridgeline fft and it is awesome as well. They have an accuracy guarantee, so its pretty low risk.

nobody

WKR
Dad has an MPR (ridgeline barreled action in Christensen’s proprietary chassis), and it shoots about as well as the photo above. It’s a 6.5 PRC as well, and the first day we took it out we had a first round impact at 1350 yards.

I also had a coworker that was the ultimate Christensen fanboy. He swore by them and loved them, and his shot great. His primary rifle was a Mesa in 7 Rem Mag, and he hand loaded 180 Berger VLD’s for it to just a touch over 3k FPS and it would put 5 into a ragged hole. Remington Core Lokt 150’s shot just as well.

His dad had a ridgeline in 26 Nosler, and it shot just as well, but the barrel actually came out of the action crooked (either that or the action screws were drilled off center, I can’t remember which). But he used up all but about 1.5 minutes of windage adjustment to get zeroed.

So of the 3 I’ve had experience with, 2 of them were great and one had some major issues (that the owner was luckily able to work around). They all shoot sub MOA on 5 shot groups with factory ammo, but that ridgeline made me weary.

So there’s my experience, do with that info as you please. Good luck!

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve had 2 and my father 3, all were shooters with zero issues. My biggest issue with Christensen is their stocks, but that’s personal preference. The best deal now is the mesa FFT. They dropped a lot of weight, they can be had for under $1500, and they come within 2-3oz of the ridgeline fft.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mesa (7mm-08) and a Ridgeline FFT (280ai) both bought in the last 12 months. Both function just fine, no issues. Both are shooting reloads because I don't have/ can't find factory ammo for either but have the reloading components. The 280 holds 1-1.25 inch groups at 200 consistently (this has a suppressor always on it). They both work just fine for me.

I like mine in .28 Nosler, and it is a great shooter. It is long, and I am planning on a larger bolt knob, but overall, it’s a keeper. I did notice that it took me a bit more to get stable with it from an improvised field position on my mulie this year than a normal steel barrel. I just need more practice with a rifle so light out front.

I had two, both in 300wm. They shot great, harvested elk and mule deer with one. The gunsmith who built my ultralight 300wsm has had a few Christensens come through his shop that close on no-go gauges. I was really disappointed with the finish in the carbon of the second rifle's barrel. If you like 700 pattern rifles, they are a great value, I'd happily hunt with one.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I wouldn’t worry about accuracy. If you have an issue, send it in and they’ll fix it. Hard a friend with a Mesa they swapped out barrels on. I have a 300 WM Ridgeline and it’s noticeably more accurate than my other rifles. The action is a little chunky, stock is a little thin, and bottom metal is a little cheap to me. But it’s a hell of a rifle for the cost.

mainbeam pursuit2

Lil-Rokslider
My son has two ridgelines, a 28 nosler and 300 rum. I dialed both of them with handloads, no trouble making the accuracy guarantee. I've been impressed enough to buy myself a ridgeline in 6.5 prc.

OP
J

jyako1962

FNG
Thank you everyone for your feedback. It helps getting input from people who actually own and shoot the rifle as opposed to those "who have a friend who knows someone...". Appreciate your input and advice!

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Mesa (7mm-08) and a Ridgeline FFT (280ai) both bought in the last 12 months. Both function just fine, no issues. Both are shooting reloads because I don't have/ can't find factory ammo for either

Normashooting.com has 7-08 rounds for $20/box.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
On my 4th Christensen. 1 mesa and 3 Ridgelines. They all shoot 1/2 MOA or better. The Titanium Ridgeline action is not smooth when compared to the regular steel actions, but you are going to have that with any titanium action, so thats not a ding on Christensen. My favorite part of the rifles after their accuracy is the stock/grip, and the triggers. If you can swing it, I recommend getting either a FFT Ridgeline or FFT Mesa.

OP
J

jyako1962

FNG
On my 4th Christensen. 1 mesa and 3 Ridgelines. They all shoot 1/2 MOA or better. The Titanium Ridgeline action is not smooth when compared to the regular steel actions, but you are going to have that with any titanium action, so thats not a ding on Christensen. My favorite part of the rifles after their accuracy is the stock/grip, and the triggers. If you can swing it, I recommend getting either a FFT Ridgeline or FFT Mesa.
Great to know, appreciate it. Ridgeline vs. Mesa - what is your preference between the two, and why?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Great to know, appreciate it. Ridgeline vs. Mesa - what is your preference between the two, and why?
I like the Ridgeline better for a couple of reasons:

1. I use suppressors, and the 5/8-24 thread on the Ridgeline allows for a direct thread. The Mesa I had (7mm rem mag) had a 1/2-28. I was using a1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapter and somewhere along the line something came loose and I had a baffle strike when confirming zero on an elk hunt. Not blaming it on the rifle, but in my mind direct thread = least points of failure.

2. Ridgelines are lighter than their Mesa counterparts.

3. The carbon wrapped barrel with the engravings on either side looks sharp. In theory the carbon barrels are supposed to not heat up as fast as the mesa barrels, but I did not test that. For a hunting rifle where you are shooting once, maybe twice, I can see why the Mesa is "good enough", but the aesthetics of the Ridgeline are worth the premium to me.

OP
J

jyako1962

FNG

1. I use suppressors, and the 5/8-24 thread on the Ridgeline allows for a direct thread. The Mesa I had (7mm rem mag) had a 1/2-28. I was using a1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapter and somewhere along the line something came loose and I had a baffle strike when confirming zero on an elk hunt. Not blaming it on the rifle, but in my mind direct thread = least points of failure.

2. Ridgelines are lighter than their Mesa counterparts.

3. The carbon wrapped barrel with the engravings on either side looks sharp. In theory the carbon barrels are supposed to not heat up as fast as the mesa barrels, but I did not test that. For a hunting rifle where you are shooting once, maybe twice, I can see why the Mesa is "good enough", but the aesthetics of the Ridgeline are worth the premium to me.
Great, thanks for your input. Since I'll be going with a Suppressor your points are well appreciated.

Thank you

Great, thanks for your input. Since I'll be going with a Suppressor your points are well appreciated.

Thank you
If you're hunting with a can, I wouldn't even consider a Mesa (or other sporter profile barreled rifle). I've been down that road a few times, and there is a reason I settled on Sendero or Sendero Light profiled CF barrels.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider

That's the main reason I went with the Ridgeline. And also that the FFT had a shorter barrel for my cartridge. My other 280ai has a longer barrel and with the suppressor is decidedly heavier than the CA.

I do use a suppressor on my Mesa, but it's not as ideal as the bigger Ridgeline barrel.

MOBowkill

FNG
My Ridgeline 6.5 prc is the most accurate rifle I’ve personally shot. Have a 7 mm Classic Carbon that’s collecting dust waiting for me to test it out but I suspect it will be a shooter too.