Cerakoting a barrel question?

OP
colersu22

colersu22

WKR
The smith said he could cerakote the stock but to get a camo look it would take 3-4 layers so it was a ton of money and not worth it to me.

OP
colersu22

colersu22

WKR
You can buy air dry cerakote that is super durable, might even be worth seeing how much more it would be from the guy doing your barrel and action or put the money towards a B&C stock.

Bell & Carlson Tikka T3 Lite Hunter Stock with Full Length Aluminum Block

I have not tried the stock out yet but I shot/handled a friends tikka T3. The stock on the new T3x seems better built from what I remember and they added foam so it doesn't have as much of a hollow sound compared to the old one.

My biggest issues are I have always hunted and shot bows and shotguns with very little experience with rifles so I cant really say what I like and don't like with stocks or actions. A ton of reading has been helping me out though.

The smith said he could cerakote the stock but to get a camo look it would take 3-4 layers so it was a ton of money and not worth it to me.

That would be correct. Multiple layers add to cost very quickly. Cerakote is not cheap but it's the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
The air dry cerakote is not very durable. A good applicator can do your stock in regular cerakote. If your interested you could pm me with what you have in mind and we can work something out. My new oven will be done soon.

How so? Just wondering cause I've used it with issue at all, all in the prep. For an air dry option it works great but yes it isn't the best.

dotman

WKR

Yeah it gets spendy quick. He's the color combo I'm going with, not my gun.

OP
colersu22

colersu22

WKR
The barrel/action/bolt are going to get cerakoted flat dark earth.

How so? Just wondering cause I've used it with issue at all, all in the prep. For an air dry option it works great but yes it isn't the best.

I'm assuming you meant "no issues at all". I've done a couple polymers projects and stocks with the air dry. It scratches very easy as compared to regular cerakote in my experience. I've been applying cerakote for over 3 years. The air dry is very similar to durakote imo.

OP
colersu22

colersu22

WKR
Thanks GKPrice, I did 4 coats of tan then hit it with light green randomly and then used a baby gate for the round stencil.

dotman

WKR
I'm assuming you meant "no issues at all". I've done a couple polymers projects and stocks with the air dry. It scratches very easy as compared to regular cerakote in my experience. I've been applying cerakote for over 3 years. The air dry is very similar to durakote imo.

Yeah for sure it's not as good as the baked on but as far as an air dry it's one of the more durable. I have it on a McMillian stock that has been drug through thick oak brush for a few years without issuebut then again little scratches don't bug me, flaking and wearing through are what I don't like. I just cring at baking a stock.

GKPrice

Banned