Cecil

An opinion given on a public forum is a public opinion and in the world of internet mob justice, it's the same thing as a conviction. His past has nothing to do with what happened in Africa, you know darn well that any defense attorney would have it thrown out in a blink of an eye. Again, information gathered from questionable sources to taint the suspects character.

Haven't you noticed that each time this enormous outcry happens, it gets bigger and more vile each time. I find it very disheartening to see it happening here as well. Also haven't you noticed that each time it happens, they were wrong.

Think about it gentlemen.

On that note, a little levity might be in order. :)

Then why don't you lead us to
The "correct" sources, since you clearly take offense to anyone questioning anything about this situation. His past has everything to do with what may or may not have happened, he clearly has no problem lying to game officials. And what would a defense attorney have thrown out??? The bear he poached? The facts in this case have yet to be brought to light. No one on here is asking for the guys head, or wanting his business to suffer. We are hunters, if it was a legal hunt and on the up and up I'm sure none of us would speak of it again. But if he was involved in any wrongdoings, just because he is a hunter does not mean I will support him. I support stewards of the sport, that cast a good light on hunting.

And things like your stupid little meme does nothing but antagonize the anti's more. When will you get it. The anti's are better organized, more boisterous and clearly willing to stand in the limelight and profess us as murderers, they have enough fuel. Quit throwing gas on it.

Shrek

WKR
An opinion given on a public forum is a public opinion and in the world of internet mob justice, it's the same thing as a conviction. His past has nothing to do with what happened in Africa, you know darn well that any defense attorney would have it thrown out in a blink of an eye. Again, information gathered from questionable sources to taint the suspects character.

Haven't you noticed that each time this enormous outcry happens, it gets bigger and more vile each time. I find it very disheartening to see it happening here as well. Also haven't you noticed that each time it happens, they were wrong.

Think about it gentlemen.

On that note, a little levity might be in order. :)

I love the "stupid " meme :)....#zebralivesmatter

Here is a really good article on the hunt with some facts.
http://www.africanhunteronline.com/

"Innocent until proven guilty indeed, but the facts do not lie. Laws have been broken."

This has been my stance all along. Laws were broken and his knowledge of those laws have no relevance in him being charged. I hope if he was unaware that it is proven and the right people get what they deserve. However, he was party to illegal activities and needs to be held accountable for his part, if any. That is for the courts to decide.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
"We had obtained the permit for bow hunting, we had obtained the permit for the lion from the council," Bronkhorst told AFP, speaking from Bulawayo.

"We had done everything above board.

"I don't foresee any jail sentence at all, I think it's been blown out of proportion by social media and I think it's been a deliberate ploy to ban all hunting and especially lion hunting in Zimbabwe."

"Palmer is a totally innocent party to this whole thing, and he has conducted and bought a hunt from me that was legitimate."

http://news.yahoo.com/hunter-cecil-lion-tells-afp-did-nothing-wrong-142129760.html

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
i have hunted zimbabwe twice, 2006 and 2009. I booked my hunts at sci both times and word of mouth helped me decide which outfitters i chose. I consider myself to be reasonably smart and self sufficient but i relied on my ph's 100 percent of the time. 100 percent of the time for my safety as well as the laws. If someone thinks they are going to research the hunting laws, concession boundaries, game scouts, ph's, landowners and every other variable that adds up to a africa adventure please tell me where to go to get what you are smoking. As others have mentioned it is the wild, wild west in zimbabwe. We were stopped in roadblocks by people that did not even look like they were with the government or police that were obviously trying to solicit bribes. When you are stopped by men with guns and yours is safely nestled in the pelican case in the back of the cruiser it can be quite intimidating. I am sure some of the sarcastic, opionated brainiacs that are posting about this could easily rambo themselves out of any trouble as well armchair quarterback the whole hunt better when that lion was killed. People disappear in zimbabwe and the mere mention of mugabe around the campfire by the client, not knowing the locals are not even to speak about him, makes for uncomfortable looks. I did what my ph told me to do to remain safe and to have a successful hunt. When i killed my cape buffalo he was a couple of hundred yards away from the park that he came out of. The river was the boundary, him and another swam across making him fair game. When i say "park" there were no swing sets and the other side looked just like the side we were on but we had the luxury of having the river as the border instead of an invisible line. I know a gentlemen that killed a huge ram in wyoming that spent most of his time inside a invisible line and when he spotted by friend and the guide they were able to whack him. Baiting in africa is the norm for leopards and lions. Unless you are somewhere like the kalahari where tracking the lion is a good way hunt them, baiting is what they do. I dont know if the dentist's hunt was totally legit or not so i cant say good or bad about it but one thing is for certain... What shrek just mentioned wildlife will be the loser on this now that the antis know how much fire they can stir up. Hide your taxidermy folks!

paragraphs!!!!!!

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
Then why don't you lead us to
The "correct" sources, since you clearly take offense to anyone questioning anything about this situation. His past has everything to do with what may or may not have happened, he clearly has no problem lying to game officials. And what would a defense attorney have thrown out??? The bear he poached? The facts in this case have yet to be brought to light. No one on here is asking for the guys head, or wanting his business to suffer. We are hunters, if it was a legal hunt and on the up and up I'm sure none of us would speak of it again. But if he was involved in any wrongdoings, just because he is a hunter does not mean I will support him. I support stewards of the sport, that cast a good light on hunting.

And things like your stupid little meme does nothing but antagonize the anti's more. When will you get it. The anti's are better organized, more boisterous and clearly willing to stand in the limelight and profess us as murderers, they have enough fuel. Quit throwing gas on it.

Re-read your entire post. You are a walking, typing, talking contradiction. Seriously, draw a line down the middle of a notebook. On one side draw a plus. On the other side, draw a debit. Read your post and you will realize you simply re-emphasized and summarized the ANTI-s argument. However, FALLACIOUSLY! I mean seriously dude, are you really thinking you are going to convince the anti's to change their position?

Last edited:

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
"We had obtained the permit for bow hunting, we had obtained the permit for the lion from the council," Bronkhorst told AFP, speaking from Bulawayo.

"I don't foresee any jail sentence at all, I think it's been blown out of proportion by social media and I think it's been a deliberate ploy to ban all hunting and especially lion hunting in Zimbabwe."

"Palmer is a totally innocent party to this whole thing, and he has conducted and bought a hunt from me that was legitimate."

http://news.yahoo.com/hunter-cecil-lion-tells-afp-did-nothing-wrong-142129760.html

No shit! Of course! Divide and Conquer has always been ridiculously effective!

charvey9

WKR

Maybe that would explain what happened to the collar a little better if it was just removed and left at the kill sight. I mean, I think if the intention was to disable/destroy a GPS collar it probably wouldn't be all that difficult.

Shrek

WKR
I'm purely speculating but if I were a betting man I'd say the guy issuing the permits was stealing the money and not entering the licenses into the books. When the wardens found the carcass from the gps collar they found no license listed and went after the PH and land owner. Corruption is everywhere in Africa and I'm betting government corruption is at the heart of this.

rodney482

WKR
I think you are spot on!
Its easier to point your finger at the hunters than your own corrupt system.

I'm purely speculating but if I were a betting man I'd say the guy issuing the permits was stealing the money and not entering the licenses into the books. When the wardens found the carcass from the gps collar they found no license listed and went after the PH and land owner. Corruption is everywhere in Africa and I'm betting government corruption is at the heart of this.

Re-read your entire post. You are a walking, typing, talking contradiction. Seriously, draw a line down the middle of a notebook. On one side draw a plus. On the other side, draw a debit. Read your post and you will realize you simply re-emphasized and summarized the ANTI-s argument. However, FALLACIOUSLY! I mean seriously dude, are you really thinking you are going to convince the anti's to change their position?

The point that you and many many hunters don't get is its not about the anti's it's about the people that do not have an opinion. I've talked to 7 people that I either work with or know that have zero opinions about hunting since the Cecil killing. You want to know what's swayed there opinion?? Hunters on Facebook making stupid ass comments or stupid ass memes making light of the situation. You and I may not care about a lion past his prime being taken, and we may understand how that works but most people don't understand why people hunt in Africa, or how much good it does for the wildlife and the people there. We as hunters should be responsible in what we do and try to educate people properly. We should not sink to the anti's level and profess our hatred of people that don't hunt, like they do to us.

Holding people accountable is contradictory? If the guy broke the law he should be held accountable, if he didn't then more power to him I'd buy him a beer and would like to hear the story. If that's being an anti then sign me the **** up. Im not going to stand up for someone who broke the law, wether hunter or otherwise.

We lose hunting privileges because of people on the fence, not people who already have a set way of thinking.

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
Well, my 5 year old daughter just asked me about Cecil. Animal Planet is jumping on the "OUTRAGED" bandwagon. I watched for a few minutes and saw one inset "commercial" stating their disgust and one on screen banner stating the same. Their line is "Animals are not trophies"

Humans have a bad habit of personification when it comes to charismatic wild animals.

This sure is fun....

AndyB

WKR
Fun maybe,.... but the fallout is far reaching......I am involved with an association over here that is trying to get Bowhunting legalised.

This past weekend we had a Marque at the countries biggest game fair trying to promote Bowhunting to the hunting community....this year we did not get many people coming in to check us out, of those that did less than a 10% started the conversastion with, 'shot any Lions lately'.

Most just walked on past after a sideways glance and muttering how sick Bowhunting is, or that trophy hunting should be banned.

I have even had emails from a radio production company asking if I would take part in a radio debate aired on six stations titled, 'should all hunting be banned'...so they must have looked at our website. Ordinarily I would have but we have recently commissioned a Meta study in an effort to legalise Bowhunting and this is the wrong type of attention at the wrong time, my fear is that if this media circus look at us in any depth it could balls up years of hard work ......whatever the circumstances of Cecil's demise damage has been done and I doubt we are anywhere near the end of it.

Last edited:

2ski

WKR

I'm completly speculating, but if I were a betting man, I'd say the guy bought a unicorn tag and when he couldn't find one, the PH told him it would work for a lion too. What he didn't hear the PH tell him was that unicorn tags will not work for lions with black manes.

I'm kidding Shrek, just using your post to point out that there are so many people are jumping to his defense for two reasons. 1. He is a hunter, 2. The backlash on social media. The way I see it at least.

Really, if someone poached an animal here in the states and there was no social media backlash(there isn't usually for a poaching case in the US), everyone would probably just assume he did it and want him punished. I think the social media backlash is the reason so many hunters jump to his defense and assume that he did it right. They feel attacked by the social media backlash and thus feel the need to jump to his defense.

One man's opinion.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
I think the social media backlash is the reason so many hunters jump to his defense and assume that he did it right. They feel attacked by the social media backlash and thus feel the need to jump to his defense.

One man's opinion.

I believe the reason so many hunters are taking this personally, and perhaps coming to the side of the accused, is because the shear amount of blatant lies, deception and ignorance being spewed by the mainstream media, "journalist" and the general public is just nauseating.