Canoe vs Kayaks for Fishing/General Use

TheCougar

WKR
I'm looking at going out and buying a used canoe or kayaks. I have no idea what I'm doing. We had a long fiberglass canoe we repaired and used for bass fishing, but it was just destroyed in a windstorm. My son and I primarily used the canoe for fishing on lakes and the Shenandoah River.

Considerations:
- Portability is important: We have to drive a ways no matter where we want to fish, so getting it on/off or in/out of a truck is important. We also have to portage the canoe/kayak sometimes to get to a public spot to put in.
- Versatility: the more we can use it (beyond fishing), the more use it will see. I had envisioned using the canoe to float the river and hunt ducks as well. Hunting might be the other primary use.
- functionality: we primarily will use it for fishing/hunting slow water/lakes, often shallow water. Possibly a space for a dog and/or trolling motor also. This is starting to sound a lot like I want a jon boat, but at this stage I'm looking for something we can carry.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I definitely prefer a properly setup kayak for fishing over a canoe. Other than that, a canoe is more useful as it can carry more gear, decoys, dead animals, people, higher weight limits, etc.
I have definitely figured out that kayaks are much better for setting up for specifically fishing, but I don't know if they are versatile enough for other uses. It also seems that they are smaller and easier to get on/off a truck, but they are actually heavier than a canoe (and I would need 2).

LostArra

WKR
I've fished a lot inshore ocean and sounds plus freshwater lakes with a sit on top tandem and a semi sit in kayak (Wilderness systems Pungo - wide open cockpit). The stability of the sit on tops has really improved so you can stand to fish which was not possible on the models I owned.

The Pungo was much better in early spring when the water and the weather could be cold.

My limited experience with lake fishing in a canoe was not as good mainly due to the higher profile in windy conditions.

Not to hijack but does anyone have experience with the pedal drive kayaks? They look perfect for fishing but pricey.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have a little 10ft Jon boat I picked up for a song… but have since wanted more portability, bass pro sells a 10ft sit on top that can be had for around 500ish. After using a few kayaks. The seat would be something I would invest a little extra money in, but you could get a couple of those kayaks for 1000ish

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I've fished a lot inshore ocean and sounds plus freshwater lakes with a sit on top tandem and a semi sit in kayak (Wilderness systems Pungo - wide open cockpit). The stability of the sit on tops has really improved so you can stand to fish which was not possible on the models I owned.

The Pungo was much better in early spring when the water and the weather could be cold.

My limited experience with lake fishing in a canoe was not as good mainly due to the higher profile in windy conditions.

Not to hijack but does anyone have experience with the pedal drive kayaks? They look perfect for fishing but pricey.
I haven’t looked into them all that much. Those nucanoes that @wesfromky recommended are awesome looking though. Basically exactly what I’m looking for - stable, portable, versatile, but dang they cost a lot. I could get two used kayaks and a canoe for that price, just about.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I have a little 10ft Jon boat I picked up for a song… but have since wanted more portability, bass pro sells a 10ft sit on top that can be had for around 500ish. After using a few kayaks. The seat would be something I would invest a little extra money in, but you could get a couple of those kayaks for 1000ish
Can you stand on it?

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I am not up on the latest in dedicated fishing kayaks but there is a lot to like in a 16-18 foot Royalex canoe for comfort, durability, versatility, portaging and value for the money. Look for an Old Town or Mad River (or Blue Hole down where you are) "prospector style" canoe on Craigslist--should be able to find one for a few hundred dollars. Canoe has a bit of a learning curve--flipping it up to portage, various strokes, how to paddle a double canoe solo, standing up w/balance, and how to get it on and off your car or truck but for me it pays off in an extremely versatile and handy tool proven to get the job done for everything from a little pleasure paddle to long distance heavily loaded expeditions through the Grand Canyon or down the Yukon.

Yoder

WKR

I have a Hobie Mirage Passport 12ft pedal kayak. I really love it. You can go way farther, the wind isn't as much of a factor, the drive is awesome. It's more pushing straight away than pedaling a bike. The Hobie drive uses fins that can fold up tight against the bottom of the hull so you can go through some pretty shallow water. It's stable, but standing on it is pretty sketchy. They make a rail for it to stand and fish but I never bothered with it. This is their "entry level" kayak but it's still right at $2k right now which is pretty crazy. The two negatives are the weight which is 83lbs and this model does not have reverse. I couldn't see paying more just for reverse, It's not a big deal. I've used it for a few years on vacation in the Outer banks fishing the bay and it was great. Had no problem traveling a few miles even with some wind. No way I could do that paddling. I also use it on a bunch of local lakes. There are a lot of other brands that are cheaper, but I mainly bought it for the Hobie drive.

11boo

WKR
I’m in the kayak camp. You nailed the drawbacks, primarily weight.
I have a kayak dolly that helps a lot, stows in the hull. You still need a decent trail for it to work. Sit on top, with a good seat is much more comfortable than any canoe.
they do make a really nice sit on top in fiberglass that is half the weight of plastic and twice the price.

Smoke10

FNG
I'd probably recommend an aluminum canoe.

I grew up with canoes, so I prefer them over kayaks.
I have a 17' alumacraft canoe from the 70s that I enjoy. Mine has a yoke for transportation/portage. Supposed to weigh 60-65 lbs. Picture below.

I used a similar canoe in the boundary waters and .5 to .6 mile portages between lakes. No complaints with it. When I make it back to the boundary waters, I plan to take my own canoe.

I've solo fished bays on Sakakawea for walleye and smallmouth. I've also fished it on lakes in the Black Hills and thoroughly enjoy it.
I used it once for hunting to access public land across a lake. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for duck hunting or to pack out a deer.

My dad had a 15' polyethylene canoe. We rigged up a trolling motor for it and it was fun to use on the Missouri river that way. Just more set up time and more stuff to pack around.

Fished out of a kayak once and just paddled around lakes in half a dozen other kayaks. I just like the extra room and familiarity with a canoe

Screenshot_20240403_213611_Gallery.jpg.

*zap*

WKR
I have a 17' osage aluminum canoe, weighs &0# or so....it is awesome. Bought is used in the early winter 10 years ago for $200. Cannot beat that..

I'm feeling old so ... "Watch the weight." You'll have to ballance out price, weight, performance, and durability. Only you can decide what's more important. Here's a few examples.

I've got a 12-ft canoe on my wish-list that weighs all of 25#. It's not cheap and I bet the dog's claws would tear through it without a thought as would any creek-bed rocks. But for 25# I can easily put that boat on the top of the car by myself and can carry it through the woods into some remote little ponds.

I did buy a rotomolded 'kayak' from Bass Pro a few years ago. b/c Mrs wanted her own boat. It was just what she wanted, Cheap ($300?) and red. It's a slug. I have to wait for her to catch up after I go drifting down a creek in the 17-ft OT. I hate slugs, and most of the rotomolded boats are slugs.

An aluminum Grumman is bombproof, cheap (used), and moves through the water better than most rotomolded kayaks. It's heavy and noisy though, and can sunburn your hamstrings. I've spent 6 weeks at a time in a Grumman and would do it again. There are off-brands too that are heavier and slower, which I wouldn't touch.

Have fun on the water.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutley hate kayaks. Cant fish well from one, doesnt carry enough gear for duck season. But I also dont need a 15' canoe. I keep my eye out for a 9' solo canoe. That would be the best of both worlds.

Since you mention a second person, a kayak is out of the question. You might be better off with a bass tacker topper 12 and 5hp motor. Fits in the bed of the truck and has all your gear in it already. Technically can go on the roof (hence topper) but I wouldn't do that.

Fatcamp

WKR
A big canoe carries a 1000# and stays drier, but SOT kayaks, especially the ones with pedals are a different level of awesome.

A 1436 Alumacraft jon weighs 135#, fits in the back of a full size truck, and with a removable 5hp 4 stroke you can go UPSTREAM in a stiff current. I loved mine but moved on to bigger boats.