Cam Hanes At Home Stitches

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cam is a workout Beast, tough to fault a guy who has a workout ethic like he has and the dedication to improve his hunting abilities in all facets............more power to him for being able to do what he loves and earn a living at it. I am envious of the last part for sure!

Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
This "Dermabond" is what we use in the clinic/hospital as it is thicker and easier to work with than regular super glue ( http://www.amazon.com/Dermabond-Topical-Adhesive-5ml-vial/dp/B002TSIP9O ). I didn't realize that the dermabond was so cheap on the internet now, and it should work well for you hairy gorilla types that can't use tape as easily, but don't have a really thick coat like a dog which requires staples. The benzoin and tape should work exceptionally well however on a well manscaped, chick-flick watching, hulky super hero type! :)

The larger dog wounds that I have seen are barbed wire lacerations to the back and razor wire lacerations on the legs...and a staple or two worked great after a quick wash by squirting in some saline solution from a bottle that is typically used for contact lenses. While hunting quail at Camp Pendleton my dog ran into some unrecovered razor wire a couple of times and once cut himself pretty good...there are some good sized veins quite close to the skin on a dog's legs which can bleed a fair amount without a good pressure wrap/dressing around the leg.

Also, I was wrong about the skin stapler cost, it looks like they can be obtained really cheaply now outside of the hospital ( http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Disp...&qid=1370477723&sr=1-11&keywords=skin+stapler ). To get a "free" stapler though, try to find a friend who works in or next to the surgical unit at a hospital (scrub nurse, anesthestist, etc.) and ask them to grab a stapler after a surgical case that didn't end up getting used...they just get thrown away otherwise.

rhendrix

WKR
Just for the sake of arguement, what would you use clean a wound like that in the field, I work as a paramedic, so the first thing that comes to mind is iodine swabs, any suggestions?

OR Archer

WKR
I asked him today about the stitches. Said he tried butterfly bandages and what not but it just kept bleeding when he was running so he decided to throw a couple of stitches in it.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Seemed to work fine. I would have just glued it too.

Cam seems like a hunter to me.

But watching that video...

He sure is a potty mouth!

Mike7

WKR
thanks Jager, no problem.

Rhendrix, iodine like hydrogen peroxide is great for killing things, but also in high enough concentration kills you body's own cells when applied to an open wound instead of just being applied to the outer skin...thus, you will feel stinging pain within the wound from this. So, for open wounds in the backcountry where you do not have access to isotonic saline solution & special soaps, then I would recommend just a scrub/irrigation with plain old filtered drinking water. You basically just want to get all of the debris out of the wound and minimize the bacterial load in the wound, while still being able to apply together with suture, etc. the two sides of the wound with hopefully living cells on each side. If you kill the tissue on each side of the wound with iodine, then you will be placing dead tissue against dead tissue. This will lead to delayed healing and potentially greater infection risk. Here is a little summary article for the other interested nerds. :)

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2008/1015/p945.html

lintond

WKR
This "Dermabond" is what we use in the clinic/hospital as it is thicker and easier to work with than regular super glue ( http://www.amazon.com/Dermabond-Topical-Adhesive-5ml-vial/dp/B002TSIP9O ). I didn't realize that the dermabond was so cheap on the internet now, and it should work well for you hairy gorilla types that can't use tape as easily, but don't have a really thick coat like a dog which requires staples. The benzoin and tape should work exceptionally well however on a well manscaped, chick-flick watching, hulky super hero type! :)

So I guess I fall in the staple category....where do I get these bad boys. ;)

rhendrix

WKR
Not to stir the pot, but anyone see his follow up post on FB? Looks like his foot is infected. I'm a big fan of his...but there's gotta be a time and place where brains trumps brawn.

Shrek

WKR
That didn't look like the best idea I have seen but for his sake I hope it is cleared up quick and easy. Around here the mersa bacteria is going around. I have a friend who's family is under attack. 23 year old nephew just lost his foot and an eighteen year old nephew is now waiting for a liver transplant after the meds they gave him for mersa killed his liver. Three years ago a friend died of it at 43 years young. It's getting to be like before there were antibiotics. A scratch can kill you if a resistant staph infection sets in.

The picture on his Facebook was black and white except the wounded part that he saturated in on the photo. The way he highlighted it that way might make it look worse than it is, or at least I'm hoping so for him. He said he planned to run 30 miles on it tomorrow but he would look at how it looked tomorrow. Good way, bad way, right or wrong wound care I just hope he heals soon and does not have any complications.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Mike
What's the chances of you starting a thread and posting a weekly backcountry first aid tip?
Maybe covering stuff like this thread had in it, how to deal with the onslaught of beaver fever, broken bone, etc...
It may stoke some good points and discussion but better yet it may help a Rokslider get by in a pinch till they can get to a doc.

I know I learned some on this thread already and will add a few things to my pack

ElkNut1

WKR
Ya, not sure I'd stitch that cut either, most likely not but it does need attention to stop infection. On another note Cameron has inspired me no doubt, there's times I want to slack on a work out & I've thought of his dedication & why he really pushes himself to his limits, it's for the love of the hunt & exploring the backcountry not for TV stuff, sure that gets thrown into the mix & that cannot be helped but his heart & soul is about physical conditioning for the hunt & personal satisfaction, I can relate to that, thanks Cameron you've definitely inspired me bud!

ElkNut1

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's easy to be overcritical watching something like this. To me the point was how to put stitches in if you have to you. Whether the cut needed stitches or not or whether he could of went to the hospital or not are mute points. To see someone else to this may help me if i ever had to later. It's not really different from gear reviews or other general advise. If it can help someone out it's all good...

a first aid thread would be neat. Especially with some of the professional knowledge some members have

romaknows

FNG
I think it's easy to be overcritical watching something like this. To me the point was how to put stitches in if you have to you. Whether the cut needed stitches or not or whether he could of went to the hospital or not are mute points. To see someone else to this may help me if i ever had to later. It's not really different from gear reviews or other general advise. If it can help someone out it's all good...

a first aid thread would be neat. Especially with some of the professional knowledge some members have

My thoughts exactly.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do people ever get tired of being critical of others. The video is informational, so if you ever had to do it you could. Not how you or I would have dealt with the same injury at home. Cam just made another one of the 100's of videos he does to maybe pass something on to others, nothing more.