Caliber Battle: 6mm ARC vs 6.5 Creedmoor for Deer Sized Game

The 6mm ARC is intriguing. I’m considering getting one to shoot suppressed in a short barrel bolt action. I already have a 6.5 Creedmoor in a short barrel bolt suppressed.

Is there enough pros to the 6mm ARC to make it the primary hunting rifle over the 6.5 CM?

Weldor

WKR
Can't speak for the ARC, but the 6mm Creedmoor I have is a killer for sure. Plus plenty of 6.5 brass around to make 6mm .

In the right action, the 6mm ARC is perhaps the finest medium-game cartridge ever made. As you can see with the ballistic chart I recently generated comparing the ARC to the .223, it's an impressive round through a 16-inch barrel. Compared to the 6.5 CM, the recoil difference is substantial.

The only limiting factor to the ARC is actions sized to the round. Besides ARs, there's Howa's Mini Action, which maybe isn't custom-level quality but still very usable. Paired with the right stock, scope, and suppressor, a Howa in 6mm ARC would be a world-class deer rifle.

I currently have three ARCs and another planned. On the AR front, I have an 18-inch gasser and a 16-inch straight pull. My bolt-action 6mm ARC is a NULA with 20-inch barrel. A future ARC in my collection is a stainless Sako A1 currently in 7.62x39. I'm pumped for that one; dinky Sako actions are the coolest actions ever made.
Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 7.03.47 AM.png

The 6mm ARC is intriguing. I’m considering getting one to shoot suppressed in a short barrel bolt action. I already have a 6.5 Creedmoor in a short barrel bolt suppressed.

Is there enough pros to the 6mm ARC to make it the primary hunting rifle over the 6.5 CM?
I just picked up a howa mini in 6mm ARC. I love my 6 CM and I think the 108 gr ELDMs are devastating on game.

I am going to be headed to the range later this week once my rings get here. If you want to meet up to shoot it, let me know :)

OP
General RE LEE
I just picked up a howa mini in 6mm ARC. I love my 6 CM and I think the 108 gr ELDMs are devastating on game.

I am going to be headed to the range later this week once my rings get here. If you want to meet up to shoot it, let me know :)

I really enjoyed shooting your 6mm CM. I might be there mid day Friday with my boys. We are hunting Friday morning and afternoon. My hunting lease is only 15 minutes away.

OP
General RE LEE
In the right action, the 6mm ARC is perhaps the finest medium-game cartridge ever made. As you can see with the ballistic chart I recently generated comparing the ARC to the .223, it's an impressive round through a 16-inch barrel. Compared to the 6.5 CM, the recoil difference is substantial.

The only limiting factor to the ARC is actions sized to the round. Besides ARs, there's Howa's Mini Action, which maybe isn't custom-level quality but still very usable. Paired with the right stock, scope, and suppressor, a Howa in 6mm ARC would be a world-class deer rifle.

I currently have three ARCs and another planned. On the AR front, I have an 18-inch gasser and a 16-inch straight pull. My bolt-action 6mm ARC is a NULA with 20-inch barrel. A future ARC in my collection is a stainless Sako A1 currently in 7.62x39. I'm pumped for that one; dinky Sako actions are the coolest actions ever made.
View attachment 646813

Ruger American Gen II will have a 6 ARC in the standard 20” barrel and 16” ranch.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The 6 ARC is a little anemic, but still far better than the 6.5 Grendel. I like the 224 Grendel/ARC for that sized case.

All said, it’s a fun round. I turned a Howa Mini into a 6 BRA, and I love it. Fun and easy to shoot. I have a 22” barrel and am shooting the 95 grain Berger VLDH. I haven’t pushed for more velocity yet.

But, if I had it to do today, I would do a 22 ARC to be able to shoot the 80+ heavies with more velocity.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm with you on the .22 ARC. That would be intriguing. However, the 6mm ARC does have the advantage of being legal for big-game in all states.
And, for that the 6 arc is definitely a winner, cause it will have such light recoil and very good external ballistics and killing terminal ballistics with the lighter class bullets inside 400. I know lots of shooters will go with the 105-108 class, but I like velocity over BC for this class cartridge.

sveltri

WKR
And, for that the 6 arc is definitely a winner, cause it will have such light recoil and very good external ballistics and killing terminal ballistics with the lighter class bullets inside 400. I know lots of shooters will go with the 105-108 class, but I like velocity over BC for this class cartridge.
I did work up a good load with 87 vlds right at 3k fps. It shot really good.

The table that StupidLightweight posted shows the 108 ELDM carrying 1800 fps past 500 yards, from a 16" barrel. With the right load out of a 18" barrel, I bet you could get to 600 yards with that same bullet. That is potent for such a small cartridge. I definitely wouldn't call that anemic.

sveltri

WKR
The table that StupidLightweight posted shows the 108 ELDM carrying 1800 fps past 500 yards, from a 16" barrel. With the right load out of a 18" barrel, I bet you could get to 600 yards with that same bullet. That is potent for such a small cartridge. I definitely wouldn't call that anemic.
In response to the OP’s ?, vs a 6CM (IMO), it is. Will it work? Yes.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
6 ARC is sweet. I like it. My 6 BRA is barely bigger and I love it.

And, its all relative. That load is barely 50 yards better than the .223. That is on the anemic side for what the 6mm can do. And, it is anemic compared with lots of 6.5 cm rounds.

Shooters shouldn’t have unrealistic expectations. It is an anemic round compared other 6mm like 6 Rem, .243 win and 6 creed.

That said, the 6 ARC and 22 ARC are the best long range AR 15 rounds.

And, a 500 yard max is also consistent with me saying it’s a solid round inside 400 yards.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just picked up a 6mm arc barreled action from Brownells. It'll be my daughter's first rifle. I know it's not as fast as a 243 but it will be the perfect size for a 12 year old.
The Howa are sweet little actions. The bolt needed a little TLC in mine to smooth it out.

Reduced recoil is why it is a better hunting cartridge than the 6.5 cm. I carry my little 6mm if I will be shooting inside 400 yards.