Caliber Battle: 6mm ARC vs 6.5 Creedmoor for Deer Sized Game

After buying a 6ARC DMR rifle and stretching it out and seeing how it performed I’m going to be putting together another lighter rifle with a Proof CF barrel and lighter optic that will be my all around hunting rifle. With the 103 ELDX factory ammo out of my 18” it stays above 1800fps to 600 yards at sea level in warm temps so it will only have further range anywhere I’ll be hunting. I cut my shots on game off at 600 though so it really doesn’t matter.

It’s a sweet ass round. The fact it runs out of an AR15 is a huge plus for me.

I wanted one of those gen 2 rugers until I handled one in 223 at a LGS the other day. That thing was a POS and it’s going to be a hard pass.

BjornF16

WKR
And, its all relative. That load is barely 50 yards better than the .223. That is on the anemic side for what the 6mm can do. And, it is anemic compared with lots of 6.5 cm rounds.
Yes, all relative. I don’t believe the OP (Gen Lee) indicated a max expected range. That would help delineate whether it is suitable or not.

The 6 ARC certainly has less wind drift than a .223 and more than enough punch to 500-ish yards. Less recoil than the 6.5 offerings.

Juan_ID

WKR
I had my first tikka 223 turned into a 6mm arc just to have something a little different. It is a fun round, I went with a 20” barrel but do kinda wish I’d have gone 18 just to be handier with the suppressor. It shoots the 108 eldm at 2700fps. Not a smoker but it doesn’t dip below 1800fps until about 700 yards. I have shot it at distance a bunch and it shoots great, my wife shot a buck with it this fall where impact velocity was just over 1800. The 108 worked great. I want to try another 6mm but not quite sure what I’d try next. I do wish they made a lighter eldm like they do with the eldx.

Last edited:
OP
General RE LEE
Yes, all relative. I don’t believe the OP (Gen Lee) indicated a max expected range. That would help delineate whether it is suitable or not.

The 6 ARC certainly has less wind drift than a .223 and more than enough punch to 500-ish yards. Less recoil than the 6.5 offerings.

Absolute max range would be 500 yards and that’s pushing it. 50-250 yards is where 99% of my shots happen.

OP
General RE LEE
A quick Google search says the 6mm ARC has barrel life similar to 308 (~5000 rounds). That’s excellent!

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger American Gen II will have a 6 ARC in the standard 20” barrel and 16” ranch.
If I had a dollar for every time I bought a bolt gun in 6.5 Grendel, then rebarreled it to 6 ARC, then the original manufacturer came out with their own 6 ARC version, I would have one dollar now (Howa, 16"), and two if I decide to do my Ruger too. Which isn't a lot of money, but it will be weird if I do that twice.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I like less wind drift, and that is a reason why I went 6BRA over anything 22. Handloaded in a bolt gun, these little 6mm can really perform awesome inside 300 yards like the .223 77 tmk, and get some added range to 500.

It’s still anemic, but how many really need more? Very few people need more. I thinks it’s the best option instead of the Rokslide .223. It adds reach with little more recoil.

joeeger52

FNG
Have you considered 6mm creedmoor? I haven’t dove into the ballistics a whole lot yet but I believe it’s a great deer round. Ammonia availability is pretty poor though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like less wind drift, and that is a reason why I went 6BRA over anything 22. Handloaded in a bolt gun, these little 6mm can really perform awesome inside 300 yards like the .223 77 tmk, and get some added range to 500.

It’s still anemic, but how many really need more? Very few people need more. I thinks it’s the best option instead of the Rokslide .223. It adds reach with little more recoil.

I agree except for ammo cost.

That's what makes the 223 special, practice cost. And availability.

But very few people need more.

jimh406

WKR
6mm ARC is quite a bit less powerful than the 6.5 Creedmoor and uses a lot less powder. It's hard to say if the difference will matter for your uses or not. Of course, it's available in a AR15 while the 6.5 requires a AR10. Both are available in bolt actions.

Hornady has a quite a few videos on YouTube comparing 6mm ARC and 22 ARC to several different rounds. You might check those out to get Hornady's take.

Loper

WKR
For those shooting suppressed, is it possible to spot your shots with the 6.5 CM? I certainly assume you can with the 6 ARC.

ThatDUDE

WKR
For those shooting suppressed, is it possible to spot your shots with the 6.5 CM? I certainly assume you can with the 6 ARC.
Can't vouch yet for the 6.5 Creed suppressed, but shooting my Howa Mini in 6mm ARC with a Hyperion K is a dream. My 11 year old son was spotting his hits with it the other day with the SWFA 3-9. We were only shooting at 327 yards. I was surprised when he started calling what I was seeing in my spotter, especially without much experience and the first time behind the gun.

Loper

WKR
Can't vouch yet for the 6.5 Creed suppressed, but shooting my Howa Mini in 6mm ARC with a Hyperion K is a dream. My 11 year old son was spotting his hits with it the other day with the SWFA 3-9. We were only shooting at 327 yards. I was surprised when he started calling what I was seeing in my spotter, especially without much experience and the first time behind the gun.

That’s pretty cool.

I have a 6.5 CM but my suppressor is in purgatory. Anyone spotting their hits with the 6.5 CM suppressed?

That’s pretty cool.

I have a 6.5 CM but my suppressor is in purgatory. Anyone spotting their hits with the 6.5 CM suppressed?
Yes, I can spot my shots in a factory tikka with a Suppressor and a heavy barreled 14lb gun suppressed. The big gun takes no effort