CA fatal lion attack

wyosam

WKR
(deleted rant about Republican infighting and the RNC being sucked dry paying legal bills for one person)

I was surprised the cat attacked two adults - that’s quite uncommon. I’m looking forward to hearing the details that come out. If they saw the cat and simply took off running and that triggered it, that would be unfortunate.

I saw a cat that had just covered up a dead cow elk with pine needles - that was impressive and made me feel small - it’s a wonder they don’t take more people.

One of the few times hiking that the spirit spoke to me was following the path a family took in Colorado, with their young daughter (grand daughter?) just lagging behind a short distance. She quietly disappeared off the trail when a cat grabbed her and headed up into some big rocks. Even if they had seen the cat do it, there would have been no way to keep up in the boulder field and brush. To see and stand where the family was and where the cat took her was really something - I’ll never let a kid get more than a few arm lengths behind me after that.

A few arm lengths behind might make you feel good, but in reality cats don’t make a living letting pret know they’re about to get got. Appearing to be in a group helps of course. Not sure how far behind that child was left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LonePeak

FNG
“Personnel found the mountain lion crouched next to the 21-year-old and fired their weapons to scare the cougar off. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Ummm you scared off a lion crouched next to a dead human? Even in CA… wtf? Take out the aggressive animal!
Doesnt make a lot sense to me either but supposedly they went and tracked it down then put it down

Stalker69

WKR
I don’t disagree entirely but mountain lions are apex predators period, no matter what state it’s possible to get eaten by one. When I lived in CA I had a CCW, AR-15, safe full of guns and ammo, etc. So your statement that you can’t own guns is fake news. The Sierra Nevada foothill county’s are full of good people and LEOs. It’s not SF/Marin county/LA county.
I guess I should have said, they are trying their hardest to not allow you to protect your self. Colorado's the same way !

Stalker69

WKR
Well they are trying that, they are trying to eliminate hunting mountain lion and Bob cats also. It ain't going to quit, until they win. Once somebody uses a gun to protect themselves against a mountain lion, or now wolf, I'll bet the penalty will be bigger then if you murdered someone.

maxx075

FNG
I was looking at going to the mile high expo, but I can't find the gumption to make my way to Colorado given their political stance as of late.

TaperPin

WKR
A few arm lengths behind might make you feel good, but in reality cats don’t make a living letting pret know they’re about to get got. Appearing to be in a group helps of course. Not sure how far behind that child was left?

Out of curiosity and to refresh the details I googled it and the trail the 3 year old boy was found on was on the opposite side of the canyon from where we were - leads me to believe the plaque on the trail claiming to mark the spot, wasn’t the actual spot, but was put there to simply warn people to be careful. Where we believed the cat took the body was also wrong - correct distance and elevation from trail, but the wrong trail.

Anyway, the boy was believed to be less than 100‘ away from the group of adults and how the trail winds up the canyon next to a creek there are places they could see him and blind corners where he would out of sight. My memory was wrong - he was in front of the group, not behind. Others who saw the kid in front of the group didnt think it was dangerous or out of the ordinary.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Interesting comment by the family.

May Taylen RIP.

Eddie

Attachments

• MLA.JPG
    MLA.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 86

wyosam

WKR
Out of curiosity and to refresh the details I googled it and the trail the 3 year old boy was found on was on the opposite side of the canyon from where we were - leads me to believe the plaque on the trail claiming to mark the spot, wasn’t the actual spot, but was put there to simply warn people to be careful. Where we believed the cat took the body was also wrong - correct distance and elevation from trail, but the wrong trail.

Anyway, the boy was believed to be less than 100‘ away from the group of adults and how the trail winds up the canyon next to a creek there are places they could see him and blind corners where he would out of sight. My memory was wrong - he was in front of the group, not behind. Others who saw the kid in front of the group didnt think it was dangerous or out of the ordinary.

The in front of and occasionally in view sounds a lot more reasonable that trailing off the back. Tragic story.

When you read the family’s description of the attack it sounds like the older brother saved the younger one‘s life by beating on the cat and paid for it with his own. No greater love.

RIP and respect.

Azone

WKR
Interesting comment by the family.

May Taylen RIP.

Eddie
Some of the wardens out there are not very pleasant people from my personal experiences. You can do everything right and they still treat you like crap and claim you are a poacher.
Me personally I would have packed a rifle and said it was for coyotes or have a pig tag on me and go about my day. I’m sure the surviving brother will be haunted the rest of his life that they didn’t take a gun and that he lost a best friend.
We all will never know how many times a lion has been in striking distance of one of us and to be honest I wouldn’t want to know.
On another note it’s really shitty that a thread about a man loosing his life devolved into what it did. Everyone that lived there or lives there knows that there’s a bunch of lions that have bullet proof protection going for them. And plenty of people out there are not a granola munching yuppie that are anti everything.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Some of the wardens out there are not very pleasant people from my personal experiences. You can do everything right and they still treat you like crap and claim you are a poacher.
Me personally I would have packed a rifle and said it was for coyotes or have a pig tag on me and go about my day. I’m sure the surviving brother will be haunted the rest of his life that they didn’t take a gun and that he lost a best friend.
We all will never know how many times a lion has been in striking distance of one of us and to be honest I wouldn’t want to know.
On another note it’s really shitty that a thread about a man loosing his life devolved into what it did. Everyone that lived there or lives there knows that there’s a bunch of lions that have bullet proof protection going for them. And plenty of people out there are not a granola munching yuppie that are anti everything.
I think the family's experience is your experience just said differently but delivering the same message IMO.

Eddie

Meanwhile these gals fight a lion with their bikes.
Check out that picture of them pinning it down with a bicycle.
Tough birds right here!
Anyone who’s ever tried to give a 12 lb. cat a pill will recognize what a feat this is. I heard this one weighed about 75 lbs.

edit

How to give a cat a pill:​

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
  2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
  3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.
  4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
  5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.
  6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
  7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
  8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil, and blow down drinking straw.
  9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
  10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
  11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of Scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
  12. Call fire department to retrieve the damn cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.
  13. Tie the little @!!@#@#$%'s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of steak filet. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
  14. Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and remove pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
  15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How to give a dog a pill: Wrap it in cheese.​

Last edited:
I had a tough time sleeping last night after reading the updated family statement. I live in El Dorado county and have two boys that absolutely love the outdoors. Mine are 10 years younger than these brothers but keep wanting a bit more freedom, to explore just a bit further on their own, to take one more lap on the dirt bike. Couldn’t imagine the pain of losing them to one of these f****** cats. We also now have wolves in our regular hunt camp area to worry about.

I’m sorry the family is going through this and hope they aren’t members to see what some of their “fellow” hunters think of them.