CA fatal lion attack

I’m sorry the family is going through this and hope they aren’t members to see what some of their “fellow” hunters think of them.
And not just their "fellow hunters", but also their fellow humans all over social media. It blows my mind how many Instagram posts I've seen from more national parksy city people in the last few days. 90% of the comments on all of them are along the lines of "So sad they had to put a beautiful animal down. It's our fault for encroaching on their home, the cat didn't deserve to die." If these uneducated people continue to value animal life over human life and push their agendas through the voting process, we are only going to have more negative interactions with wildlife, and more people mourning unnecessary loss (just one life is unnecessary IMO).

Hnthrdr

WKR
Absolutely true, not sure where people figure that humans aren’t entitled to live on the landscape as well? We have been living in and around big predators for thousands of years. News flash, people should be more valuable than animals, other news flash your development in Malibu was once upon a time lion habitat as well… I feel awful for this man’s family. Like said before it will only become more common as we forsake predator control in favor of a lack of a management plan

maxx075

FNG
Absolutely true, not sure where people figure that humans aren’t entitled to live on the landscape as well? We have been living in and around big predators for thousands of years. News flash, people should be more valuable than animals, other news flash your development in Malibu was once upon a time lion habitat as well… I feel awful for this man’s family. Like said before it will only become more common as we forsake predator control in favor of a lack of a management plan
Idk, I like my dog a lot more than a lot of people

Tru2life

FNG
We have them come through the neighborhood often and most times it’s just peoples cameras getting video. Few chickens may be lost but they are good to have around

Hnthrdr

WKR
We have them come through the neighborhood often and most times it’s just peoples cameras getting video. Few chickens may be lost but they are good to have around
I don’t think we are arguing for eradication, just the ability to manage the population and heck, if lions are getting ran by hounds, if they are getting treed and killed or released or even harried it shows them their place in the food chain and I bet it makes them a little wary of man

I don’t think we are arguing for eradication, just the ability to manage the population and heck, if lions are getting ran by hounds, if they are getting treed and killed or released or even harried it shows them their place in the food chain and I bet it makes them a little wary of man
I’m positive that works out in the woods where you can actually run hounds but the city-adjacent lions will never know that’s happening. I lived in Tucson for a few years where it’s open season on lions basically without restrictions and they still had aggressive run-ins with hikers on popular trails and campgrounds every year even though they’d be shot on the spot a mile away.
Best thing you can do for those is carry a gun or pepper spray. Bummer those boys didn’t have either.

Rotnguns

FNG

mt100gr.

WKR
Very sad story. I cannot imagine. Also a very real one, and good reminder at my house.

We've lost domestic goats (3 daughters in 4H) to a lion. Luckily, the girls were late for school and I interrupted it's breakfast. They'd gone down to feed after dark the evening before, tho.

That goat was a pet, so I buried it that day. I wanted to sit over the carcass as I knew the lion would return.

The next night, with goats moved into our fenced front yard with our dogs, I went out to find the cat under our trampoline about to help itself to another goat. It left the yard in a direction that is unsafe to shoot. It had come over the fence, past the swing set and playhouse and was hiding under the trampoline....F me! We had a standoff at about 12feet before it retreated. Cameras showed that it circled the burial site multiple times later that night. That was before I had a thermal scope....

It took about a month for my girls to venture very far on OUR property. I noticed them playing one day and went out to pull camera cards and subtly remind them to be aware. The lion had been there checking the empty goat pens the night before....

A couple years later, they, and my wife still don't much like getting too far from the yard lights. And that pen away from the house is now a garden. Be safe.20211118_080915.jpgWGI_0013.JPGWGI_0028 (1).JPG