CA fatal lion attack

OP
C

Cwsharer

FNG
Pretty crazy , we have effectively lost our depredation avenues as well because of the new policy of three strikes for the cat ( basically allowed the scare/haze) . Pretty much have zero management tools for controlling problem populations. All the while federal and state officials get to take part in the most “evil” practices ( hounds, trapping, trail cameras , etc…) in order to get collars on any cat they can .

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pretty crazy , we have effectively lost our depredation avenues as well because of the new policy of three strikes for the cat ( basically allowed the scare/haze) . Pretty much have zero management tools for controlling problem populations. All the while federal and state officials get to take part in the most “evil” practices ( hounds, trapping, trail cameras , etc…) in order to get collars on any cat they can .
So a cat that kills a human gets two more strikes there?

Ucsdryder

WKR
“Personnel found the mountain lion crouched next to the 21-year-old and fired their weapons to scare the cougar off. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Ummm you scared off a lion crouched next to a dead human? Even in CA… wtf? Take out the aggressive animal!
I’d imagine they didn’t want to miss and hit the person, not knowing his condition.

TLB2

FNG
Classified Approved
What do you mean? If an animal kills a human it is usually killed and reported. If you kill an animal in self defense you don't need to hide it.
I was refering to post above mine that stated CA would relocate it even if it killed a bus load of kids

The cats will fill their habitat and then the young and the old will move into towns with the deer. Eventually they will feed on the stray cats and dogs on the way to eating little kids on tricycles. Then the population will start to have a better understanding.

Geologist

FNG
This happened about 8 miles from my home. Cats are thick around here. Locals get depredation permits for them if losing livestock, but it’s tough to keep up. I have only had trouble with bears in my beehives.

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
The lion was dispatched. That's a pretty common practice in any state where a fatal attack on a human being occurs..regardless of the gun laws or governing politics. As a former LEO, I certainly wouldn't be throwing rounds down range toward an injured victim. That would be grossly negligent, unless the suspected animal was actively attacking the victim. I would assume LEO assessed the situation and figured dispatching the cat away from the victim was a better/more responsible thing to do.

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
2 days ago I talked to a state trapper in that area and he says they're supposed to haze a lion twice before they can use lethal means of removal. This happened in my wife's home town. Lions are everywhere (in nor-cal at least) and killing twice as much with the competition from bears scavenging.

Lions are a couple generations away from when they were hunted. They're getting comfortable around humans and livestock again.

Lion and bear are out of control out here.