Buying new elk rifle

JrCaps

FNG
+1 for the 300WSM. My go to rifle is a Sako TRG 260AI. Bought a 6.5 PRC Tikka but I am going to rebarrel it to a 300WSM. Not much of an improvement between the 6.5PRC and the 260AI to warrant spending extra on dies and brass. Between the 260AI and the 300WSM it covers me from antelope, deer, elk and bears. I was fortunate to have stocked up on 500 pieces of Norma 300WSM brass. I get the same terminal performance as a 300 Win Mag using less powder and less recoil. A 280AI is a real gem but finding brass in this round is almost impossible.

Iafarmer

FNG
How about a + .35 caliber? Dual purpose outfit: elk out west and a weapon for our new legal caliber for for those Wiley Iowa white tails!

How about a + .35 caliber? Dual purpose outfit: elk out west and a weapon for our new legal caliber for for those Wiley Iowa white tails!
I have a .35 Whelen as primary Iowa whitetail shotgun season gun and backup elk rifle. Also have .25-06 and .308 for back up rifles... LOL! ;)

OP
Iowafarmer

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I have a .35 Whelen as primary Iowa whitetail shotgun season gun and backup elk rifle. Also have .25-06 and .308 for back up rifles... LOL! ;)
Well I think you’re cheating a little if you’re using that .35 Whelen for regular deer season

Well I think you’re cheating a little if you’re using that .35 Whelen for regular deer season
How so? It's been legal for a couple years now. Regulation change for '21 season legalized bottleneck calibers from at least .350 inches to no greater than .500 inches.

I bought a CVA in .35 Whelen for '21, but never had an opportunity during regular gun season. Killed an average buck with it in '22 and terminal performance was good.

Last edited:
OP
Iowafarmer

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I d
How so? It's been legal for a couple years now. Regulation change for '21 season legalized bottleneck calibers from at least .350 inches to no greater than .500 inches.

I bought a CVA in .35 Whelen for '21, but never had an opportunity during regular gun season. Killed an average buck with it in '22 and terminal performance was good.
I don’t believe.35 whelen is straight wall is it.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I’d take that cash and turn it into ammo for your current rifle and shoot the heck out of it. Create a bunch of data that will help you kill. Practice offhand shots, getting your heart rate up and shooting, uphill and downhill shots, etc

Bluefish

WKR
I d

I don’t believe.35 whelen is straight wall is it.
It isn’t, but the law changed in 21 to just 35-50 cal and 400 or 500 ftlbs minimum energy. No longer needs to be straight wall. If you read the method of take for gun 1 and gun 2, the first cartridge listed is 35 whelen.

I love my 300 WM. It's been a great caliber for elk and mule deer. Lots of choices for ammo and most is well under $100 per box.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I have no complaints about my 300 WM x-bolt. Great gun for elk and deer.

Lwarner03

FNG
Some mentioned 300wsm, I like that and one guy mentioned 7PRC, I’d also consider 300PRC. They both have Hornady backing them, both have SAAMI support and in my opinion we’ve needed non-belted 7 rem mag and 300wm for a long time and that’s pretty close to what they are.

I like my 6.5 prc for everything elk and smaller. I would love a new 7 prc…it’s only money. I’ve had no trouble finding ammo for the 6.5 but I bet the 7 will be tough for a while.

Necked down cartridges are only legal for January doe season as far as I know but I’ve been wrong before
You're mistaken. I was as surprised as you when I was reading the new regs. when they came out summer '21. I was considering a straight wall and immediately changed my mind when I saw the update. I wouldn't be on a public internet forum promoting the .35 Whelen for deer hunting regular gun in Iowa if it was illegal.

1678198798746.png

Here is the bit about the special January seasons.

1678198857005.png

OP
Iowafarmer

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
You're mistaken. I was as surprised as you when I was reading the new regs. when they came out summer '21. I was considering a straight wall and immediately changed my mind when I saw the update. I wouldn't be on a public internet forum promoting the .35 Whelen for deer hunting regular gun in Iowa if it was illegal.

View attachment 526739

Here is the bit about the special January seasons.

View attachment 526740
Well I’ll be. So that’s for regular gun 1&2 season. Man everyone I know hunts and I haven’t heard that

Well I’ll be. So that’s for regular gun 1&2 season. Man everyone I know hunts and I haven’t heard that
Roger that and the .35 leaves the straight walls and slugs in the dust. Legitimate big game cartridge that can easily kill deer out to 300 yards with factory ammo. Essentially a necked out .30-06 case to accept .358" bullets. It's been around almost as long as the .30-06 as well and at one time was incredibly popular.

Mine is a pleasure to shoot recoil-wise with the muzzle brake, but hearing protection is MANDATORY. My teenage daughters can shoot 1-2" groups at 100 yards prone.

OP
Iowafarmer

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Roger that and the .35 leaves the straight walls and slugs in the dust. Legitimate big game cartridge that can easily kill deer out to 300 yards with factory ammo. Essentially a necked out .30-06 case to accept .358" bullets. It's been around almost as long as the .30-06 as well and at one time was incredibly popular.

Mine is a pleasure to shoot recoil-wise with the muzzle brake, but hearing protection is MANDATORY. My teenage daughters can shoot 1-2" groups at 100 yards prone.
Nice thanks for the education