Buying new elk rifle

prm

WKR
Whichever one you’ll practice and get proficient with. And whatever appeals to you. You do not need a 300WM to kill elk, but if you want one, it’s fine choice. I’d focus more on fit, feel, and desired weight of the rifle than the cartridge.

A 300 win mag is never the wrong answer. My long range elk gun is a 6.5 PRC and my UL elk gun is a 280AI. I have moved away from magnums. I actually owned a 6.8 western for a couple days before I sold it to a friend. Fits the same niche my 6.5 and 280AI did. I met a guy at the range last week shooting a 6.8. Asked if I could take a pic of one of his rounds next to my PRC cuz I am a nerd like that. 0128B1BF-8D75-4A2F-B732-4EECDE92EE39.jpeg

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
A 300 win mag is never the wrong answer. My long range elk gun is a 6.5 PRC and my UL elk gun is a 280AI. I have moved away from magnums. I actually owned a 6.8 western for a couple days before I sold it to a friend. Fits the same niche my 6.5 and 280AI did. I met a guy at the range last week shooting a 6.8. Asked if I could take a pic of one of his rounds next to my PRC cuz I am a nerd like that. View attachment 517633
I have a similar set up 6.5 prc and my UL is a FC .270 win chopped to 19.5” .

fmyth

WKR
The inability to get 30-06 ammo stopped me from ad one.
Ammoseek.com has over 500 links to online retailers with 30-06 hunting ammo. available for as little as .97 a round.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 9.22.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 9.22.12 PM.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 29
I have a similar set up 6.5 prc and my UL is a FC .270 win chopped to 19.5” .
I wanted a FC sooo bad. I held out for the rumored 280 AI and then they shut down production. I ended up with a ridgeline FFT and its cool, still part of me that really wants a FC tho :)

WyoKid

WKR
I would ask what you are using now? i have a .270 Win. Ruger M77 tang safety that I have been shooting since 16 YOA that my father gave me. Are there possibly better calibers and more accurate guns now? Yes. But, I have never lost an Elk, Deer, or Antelope to that .270 and rarely had to shoot twice. I went through the struggle of buying a new rifle and caliber. Why? Because I could afford it. However, I did not need it - wants are not the same as needs. Instead, I upgrade my glass and took my family on a vacation. It is your $ so do what you want and makes you happy IMHO.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted a FC sooo bad. I held out for the rumored 280 AI and then they shut down production. I ended up with a ridgeline FFT and its cool, still part of me that really wants a FC tho :)
I really like it, I had the Stock shortend to 13.5”, cerakote, and chopped to 19.5” with a suppressor. They shoot really nice.

OP
Iowafarmer

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I would ask what you are using now? i have a .270 Win. Ruger M77 tang safety that I have been shooting since 16 YOA that my father gave me. Are there possibly better calibers and more accurate guns now? Yes. But, I have never lost an Elk, Deer, or Antelope to that .270 and rarely had to shoot twice. I went through the struggle of buying a new rifle and caliber. Why? Because I could afford it. However, I did not need it - wants are not the same as needs. Instead, I upgrade my glass and took my family on a vacation. It is your $ so do what you want and makes you happy IMHO.
I’m shootings a B14 in 300WM now topped with a viper no I don’t need a new rifle but I have $ and it’s getting to be worth less everyday so I might as well spend it and I like guns and yes I’ve killed elk with my 700 in 270win 🤷🏻‍♂️

WKR
If I won the lottery I'd be after a Bergara wilderness thumbhole carbon in 300 wm. I'm partial to thumbhole stocks, though.

WyoKid

WKR
I’m shootings a B14 in 300WM now topped with a viper no I don’t need a new rifle but I have $ and it’s getting to be worth less everyday so I might as well spend it and I like guns and yes I’ve killed elk with my 700 in 270win 🤷🏻‍♂️
Well, in that case, I might go with something you don't have. Maybe 6.5 prc or 6.8 western or even 300 prc. A 26 Nosler or 28 Nosler is another one that would be fun to play with depending on your preference for 6.5 or 7 mm bullets. Of course, ammo might be a problem for those calibers. Since you already have a Berga, maybe a Christian Arms, Kimber Mountain rifle or Nosler Mesa. I don't have any of these high end rifles but covet them.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I've gone back and forth a bit between my 6.5PRC and a 300WM. Both are easily less than half MOA guns with a variety of ammunition. The came the 7PRC. I had 2 6.5PRC's and sent one back to be re-barreled in 7PRC. It was a long action so easy peasy. I can do everything with the 7PRC that I can do with a 300WM with a bit less recoil and better or equal performance at all distances. I'm almost at the point where I've talked myself into selling my 300WM.