Buying new elk rifle

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking of buying a new elk rifle got some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Considering x-bolt hells canyon, tikka, Bergara wilderness open to opinions thinking 6.8 western or 300WM little concerned about ammo availability for 6.8 I don’t reload any input would be helpful

300 WM is a great elk cartridge with many options for loads from many different manufacturers.
You can use many different grns and bullet types. I prefer 180 Nosler or Barnes X. Both fly well.
It is such a common round that you can generally find the ammo for it you are looking for.
I have found it shoots factory loaded ammo very well.

I also have a 300 RUM but I still really like my 300 WM as an all around rifle. It killed elk just fine out to 400 yds before I started using the 300 RUM. The downside of the 300 RUM is ammo is much more limited as it is more of a specialty/niche caliber.

WKR
I shoot with a guy that has a wilderness. Great looking gun and shoots as good as it looks.

I’m thinking of buying a new elk rifle got some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Considering x-bolt hells canyon, tikka, Bergara wilderness open to opinions thinking 6.8 western or 300WM little concerned about ammo availability for 6.8 I don’t reload any input would be helpful
I have a 300 win mag tikka t3 lite with veil wideland camo and cerakote I am looking to sell. It's a tack driver I bought it for an elk hunt sighted it in and never wound up going on the hunt so it's sitting in my safe basically brand new. Let me know if you're interested.

Rooggvc

WKR
Here are some threads to look at. Just some food for thought.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I think those are all good rifle choices, in that price range I'd also look at savage.
Be sure you get one with a fast twist barrel if you intend to shoot heavy VLDs.

You said elk and you don't hand load that says 300 winny all day long. I'd also consider a 7 rem mag and the new kid on the block the 7 prc. Unlike the 68 western the prc will have the hornady machine backing it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Go to a few stores and shoulder, fondle, etc as many of them that you can. This will likely whittle the potential rifle list down quite a bit to only those that fit you and meet any other criteria you may have.

From there see which chamber options it has and then compare to the partial list of threads compiled by RedBeard88.

elkguide

WKR
Very biased and opinionated here but after spending many years guiding and hunting elk, I grab a .300 Win Mag almost always when I'm hunting elk. I have seen elk shot with weapons from .41 Magnum pistols, to .30-.30 rifles, to the big Lazeronis and while the biggest smile on my face was always when a hunter came into camp with a beat up old .30-06 that he had shot deer with for years.

My preference was and still is a .300 Win Mag for caliber in whatever brand of rifle that fits you the best and that you can shoot comfortably and consistently.

Hoyt Ag

FNG
I have been shooting the 6.8 Western since last year. Ammo is pretty abundant for it here, I have about 250 rounds stocked. I am about to order a 7mmPRC and try that this fall on mule deer. The Backcountry Hunt with Joseph Von Benedict has a lot of recent podcasts on those 2 rounds that are worth listening to. My go to before these was the 300 win mag.

mms2

FNG
no handloading screams 300wm all day... ammo availability is a thing.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
Cartridge choice doesn't matter a whole lot anymore. There are bullet choices that make about anything useful for hunting at the range you're considering. Cost, weight, recoil, and available accessories would be factors to consider. (Triggers, mounts, rings, etc.)

My son bought a Bergara hmr iirc, and load development was easy. It stacks holes at 100y. Because of his experience I'd consider them or the Tikka. Xbolt isn't making my list at this point.

Alot of opinions here but I honestly wouldn't have advice for you unless I knew what ranges you intended to shoot at. Even then, there are far more experienced people on here to guid you in the right direction. I too suggest taking a look at the threads redbeard suggested.

Seekins...... I had a few growing pains with it, but took the brake off of it and really enjoy it now. 300wm fwiw for a lot of reasons mentioned above.
ph2.jpg

If for sure under 500 yards, then many options exist. If going deep, 300 PRC appears to be the winner

Many pod casts and reviews online supporting the deep shot for big old elk utilizing 300 PRC

I’m going that route here soon.

And never know if animal at 300 yards will keep moving, grazing, etc out to 500 and beyond and terrain/light forces shot that deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk