Buying new elk rifle

I just bought a .300 WM Browning X-bolt with the walnut stock and it’s gorgeous. It will be my go-to rifle elk gun when I’m not archery hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManBun

FNG
I’ve shot elk with a 270wsm, 7mag, 7 rum, 300win, 300 rum over the years but if you are talking a dedicated smack down elk gun, the best caliber I love on elk is the 338 rum with a 250-300 grain projectile!

ManBun

FNG
But I would vote for the 300 win, all major rifle manufactures chamber for it and lot of ammo options compared to other calibers.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
So many calibers to choose from. Decide on your style of hunting, distance limitations and do you climb a lot, ie how much weight do you want to pack Day after Day. Good luck 🍀 on the choice

buckeye_optics

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
28 Nosler is my top choice, second choice is 7 PRC, and if you have a fear of finding ammo then 300 WM is always a safe bet

Depending on budget, Seekins Element and Seekins PH2 offers A LOT of value for the money

I’m thinking of buying a new elk rifle got some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Considering x-bolt hells canyon, tikka, Bergara wilderness open to opinions thinking 6.8 western or 300WM little concerned about ammo availability for 6.8 I don’t reload any input would be helpful
300 WM for me

You can totally get it done with the 6.8 and the 300 WM is a classic.

Since my new scope doesn’t fit nicely on my 338 WM, I went with a T3x in 30-06 and Norma bond strike 180s for my next elk hunt.

Longdraw

FNG
I have a Bergara Wilderness ridge in 300 WM. The Omni directional compensator reduces recoil ALOT! Great shooting gun

OP
Iowafarmer

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking of buying a new elk rifle got some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Considering x-bolt hells canyon, tikka, Bergara wilderness open to opinions thinking 6.8 western or 300WM little concerned about ammo availability for 6.8 I don’t reload any input would be helpful
So I bought a tikka t3 lite in 300WM yesterday I really liked the feel of the CA rifle but gun guy at Scheels said I’d be happier with tikka talked me out of a $1300 rifle for a $750 rifle so I had to believe him bought 3x15 vx5 to top it off thinking Talley direct mount rings can’t wait to put it together and see how it shots

davsco

WKR
So I bought a tikka t3 lite in 300WM yesterday I really liked the feel of the CA rifle but gun guy at Scheels said I’d be happier with tikka talked me out of a $1300 rifle for a $750 rifle so I had to believe him bought 3x15 vx5 to top it off thinking Talley direct mount rings can’t wait to put it together and see how it shots
get a limbsaver recoil pad for that bad boy! the t3 in 300wm i had a while back kicked like a friggin mule, or two or three! you never feel it in the field of course. congrats and good luck!