Bullet Choice (S2H podcast ep35)

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Just listened to the podcast “Bullet Ballistics: A hunters guide”, seems like something funny is happening in the background as it got recast on my app and doesn’t appear in the previous episodes.

Anyway, basic premise of the discussion is that heavy for calibre match bullets (ELD-M, TMK, Bergeron, etc) are the best option for game. Which is a pretty simple recommendation, but I’m left with a few questions.

1, What’s the important part, the heavy for calibre part or subsequent lower velocity?
-Example given was a 100gr 6.5mm ELD-M at 3500fps is bad, 147gr ELD-M at 2800fps is good.
I assume this is because of the very fast velocity leading to bullets “blowing up” at close distance.

2, There’s was also a lot of talk of velocity ranges given for non match bullets (bonded, monos etc), is there a velocity range you need to stick to with match bullets?
-For a 223 would 88gr ELD-Ms be too slow, or would 73gr ELD-Ms in a 22 Creed be too fast?
-What about a 300blk or short barrel 308? Would you be better to for for a 200gr+ ELD-M or a 125gr TMK?

3, What do you do if you can’t use heavy match bullets?
-A lever action requires non pointed bullets, so for a 30-30 what would be the best option?
Many older cartridges, pistol calibres, lever action cartridges aren’t capable of the break neck speeds, so would you be better off with a 150gr bullet at 2500fps or a 180gr at 2200fps?

4, if you just hunt close range are the heavy match bullets still best?
-If I’m hunting 100yards and in 100% of the time, what is the best option? Ties in with the above question as there are many states where you need to use pistol cartridges, or for close distance hunting might it be better to just go for a very big/heavy bullet (35cal, 44cal, 45cal, etc).