Bullet Choice (S2H podcast ep35)

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Just listened to the podcast “Bullet Ballistics: A hunters guide”, seems like something funny is happening in the background as it got recast on my app and doesn’t appear in the previous episodes.

Anyway, basic premise of the discussion is that heavy for calibre match bullets (ELD-M, TMK, Bergeron, etc) are the best option for game. Which is a pretty simple recommendation, but I’m left with a few questions.

1, What’s the important part, the heavy for calibre part or subsequent lower velocity?
-Example given was a 100gr 6.5mm ELD-M at 3500fps is bad, 147gr ELD-M at 2800fps is good.
I assume this is because of the very fast velocity leading to bullets “blowing up” at close distance.

2, There’s was also a lot of talk of velocity ranges given for non match bullets (bonded, monos etc), is there a velocity range you need to stick to with match bullets?
-For a 223 would 88gr ELD-Ms be too slow, or would 73gr ELD-Ms in a 22 Creed be too fast?
-What about a 300blk or short barrel 308? Would you be better to for for a 200gr+ ELD-M or a 125gr TMK?

3, What do you do if you can’t use heavy match bullets?
-A lever action requires non pointed bullets, so for a 30-30 what would be the best option?
Many older cartridges, pistol calibres, lever action cartridges aren’t capable of the break neck speeds, so would you be better off with a 150gr bullet at 2500fps or a 180gr at 2200fps?

4, if you just hunt close range are the heavy match bullets still best?
-If I’m hunting 100yards and in 100% of the time, what is the best option? Ties in with the above question as there are many states where you need to use pistol cartridges, or for close distance hunting might it be better to just go for a very big/heavy bullet (35cal, 44cal, 45cal, etc).

Macintosh

WKR
IMO with more or less all necked centerfire rifle cartridges this is all more or less irrelevant inside 200 yards. This is largely for the 400-1000+ yard crowd. If you cant use match bullets then dont use match bullets—they may make a bigger hole in a critter, but other bullets also work well especially at close range like you mentioned.

Last edited:
Just listened to the podcast “Bullet Ballistics: A hunters guide”, seems like something funny is happening in the background as it got recast on my app and doesn’t appear in the previous episodes.

Anyway, basic premise of the discussion is that heavy for calibre match bullets (ELD-M, TMK, Bergeron, etc) are the best option for game. Which is a pretty simple recommendation, but I’m left with a few questions.

1, What’s the important part, the heavy for calibre part or subsequent lower velocity?
-Example given was a 100gr 6.5mm ELD-M at 3500fps is bad, 147gr ELD-M at 2800fps is good.
I assume this is because of the very fast velocity leading to bullets “blowing up” at close distance.

2, There’s was also a lot of talk of velocity ranges given for non match bullets (bonded, monos etc), is there a velocity range you need to stick to with match bullets?
-For a 223 would 88gr ELD-Ms be too slow, or would 73gr ELD-Ms in a 22 Creed be too fast?
-What about a 300blk or short barrel 308? Would you be better to for for a 200gr+ ELD-M or a 125gr TMK?

3, What do you do if you can’t use heavy match bullets?
-A lever action requires non pointed bullets, so for a 30-30 what would be the best option?
Many older cartridges, pistol calibres, lever action cartridges aren’t capable of the break neck speeds, so would you be better off with a 150gr bullet at 2500fps or a 180gr at 2200fps?

4, if you just hunt close range are the heavy match bullets still best?
-If I’m hunting 100yards and in 100% of the time, what is the best option? Ties in with the above question as there are many states where you need to use pistol cartridges, or for close distance hunting might it be better to just go for a very big/heavy bullet (35cal, 44cal, 45cal, etc).
1) You're correct. No bullet performs well at all velocities, so bullets are designed and constructed to perform best in a certain velocity range. If you're shooting monolithic bullets, you're better off going with a lighter for caliber bullet to keep your MV higher since those bullets work best above 22-2400ish fps and some guys run them all the way up to 4000 fps MV. Thin jacketed, match-type bullets are designed to expand down to lower velocities 18-2000 fps, but can have too much fragmentation to get the penetration if you start pushing to extremely high MV. I generally try to keep my MV under 3k fps for match bullets since I take a fair number of close shots.

2) See velocities I listed in my first bullet. Evaluate what the furthest distance you would shoot at a game animal is, and use a ballistic solver to find what bullet and MV you would need to stay above the effective velocity for that bullet at your maximum range.

3) Most people are still just shooting the standard cup-and-core bullets for lever actions because of the shorter effective range. The only "pointed" bullets I'm aware of are Hornady's Leverevolution line with special polymer tips. They are still flat-bottomed bullets with abysmal BC's though, so it won't be a long distance system, but I don't know of any lever actions intended for that purpose.

4) The vast majority of my shots are still under 200 yds, but I do go on hunts in more open terrain where longer shots are a possibility. I still shoot heavy for caliber match bullets and keep the MV around 2800. In my 6.5 PRC, this gives me a maximum effective range around 700 yds which is way further than I will be shooting anything. I used to hunt with a 45-70 shooting the 405 gr core-lokts when I was still hunting timber for whitetails. I see way quicker kills with match bullets than I did with those slugs, so I wouldn't go back personally. I've never hunted a state requiring straight-wall cartridges though.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
The point is that errors in wind call have the greatest effect on projectile placement. Thus, minimizing wind error impact by using high BC bullets has the greatest effect on lethality. Generally, heavier match bullets have higher BCs than light ones.

-J

OP
B

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
The point is that errors in wind call have the greatest effect on projectile placement. Thus, minimizing wind error impact by using high BC bullets has the greatest effect on lethality. Generally, heavier match bullets have higher BCs than light ones.

-J
While that is true, its not the point that is being made in the podcast.
Form says that match bullets make better hunting bullets, due to their tendency to fragment and tumble.

OP
B

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
3) Most people are still just shooting the standard cup-and-core bullets for lever actions because of the shorter effective range. The only "pointed" bullets I'm aware of are Hornady's Leverevolution line with special polymer tips. They are still flat-bottomed bullets with abysmal BC's though, so it won't be a long distance system, but I don't know of any lever actions intended for that purpose.
Form says that the traditional cup and core bullets are objectively worse than match bullets, hence the question.

The podcast discusses the "ideal" perfectly mushroomed bullet and how people have been convinced with marketing that it's what you want (I think of Remington CoreLokts "Dealiest mushroom in the woods").
But form says you really want a bullet that will fragment and tumble, rather than just expand a bit.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
While that is true, its not the point that is being made in the podcast.
Form says that match bullets make better hunting bullets, due to their tendency to fragment and tumble.

Sort of. Heavy for caliber, relatively thin jacketed, tipped bullets that fragment consistently generally are the most optimized bullet for killing- that is, they maximize a bullet/calibers wounding potential.

Someone may not want the tissue destruction that comes with those bullets however, and may choose a different one. Hence the ever often “caliber” discussions.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Both 140 eldm take from my bear this year, shot sub 100yds. Personally could not have asked for better performance, although my second shot took him in the shoulder as he was running away and was pretty catastrophic to the meat in that location. Didn't really need the second shot the first one was lethal but I typically shoot things into the ground
62a99da784c1bddd51a811db1d13b3e5.jpg
3696db79e9fede2f219ec5d843531287.jpg
dba67dc1336e931d54040b4264d2fda9.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Sort of. Heavy for caliber, relatively thin jacketed, tipped bullets that fragment consistently generally are the most optimized bullet for killing- that is, they maximize a bullet/calibers wounding potential.

Someone may not want the tissue destruction that comes with those bullets however, and may choose a different one. Hence the ever often “caliber” discussions.
You mentioned in the podcast about going too fast with match bullets (100gr 6.5mm for example) and that match bullets still expand at much lower velocities (223 at 800yards).
Is there a velocity range best to stay within or atleast not exceed?

What about if match bullets aren't available (pistol cartridges, lever action etc)? If using traditional hunting bullets is it better to go slow and heavy or fast and light?

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
I get the point of the discussion, and I think in terms of being a bow hunter (while in fact I don’t bow hunt anymore).
I personally don’t want my bullets to frag too much.
I feel that if I can place my shot in the vitals sufficiently enough I don’t need it to, much like an arrow.
Keep in mind my shots are 300 and under.
My bullet of choice has been a 150 grain Nosler Accubond for my 30-06, and my .308 Win.
I’ve had great success with it from 30 yards out to my longest shot to date of 267 yards.
Out of my Win. Model 94 I shoot the 160 grain Hornady FTX bullet (handloads). I’m getting an estimated 2100 fps, and I’m pretty confident with it out to at least 150 yds.
So I guess that I’m middle of the road in a sense. I wouldn’t say I’m light for caliber, but I also wouldn’t say that I’m heavy either.
Maybe I shouldn’t be considered as I don’t shoot long enough for it to matter.
As I have said however, you can kill effectively with an arrow, placed in the correct area.
I think sometimes we over think this, and sometimes that is the fun of it, pondering the possibilities