Build a 6cm, Buy 243 1/8 twist or go with a 6.5cm?

Brandon

FNG
Thank you for all the valuable information everyone provides on guns, gear, and bullets. I understand the importance of using minimal recoil with a bullet that reliably upsets and penetrates to create an effective wound channel.

I'm setting up a Tikka .223, which I've had cut down and threaded to 18" to practice. My question is about building a hunting rifle to complement the .223. Since Colorado requires a 6mm caliber for big game, I'm considering a few options:

• Build a 6mm Creedmoor on a Tikka action, since it's hard to find this caliber in factory rifles.
  • Buy a .243 and have UM or another service hand-load 108 gr ELDM bullets.
  • Go with a 6.5 Creedmoor for the best factory options in ammo and rifles, although I’m concerned about losing the benefits of fast follow-up shots and spotting hits.
Both the .223 and the new hunting rifle will have matching stocks or chassis with 18" barrels and be shot suppressed. Money is not a big concern, but I am running short on time depending on the choice. Considering these options, which would you recommend: building a 6CM, buying a .243 and having hand-loads made, or opting for the 6.5CM?

sndmn11

WKR
How much money do you have?

You can:
1) Find a .473 bolt for your current Tikka, buy the tools to swap the barrels, then find a factory take-off 6.5creed or use a prefit barrel in 6creed or 6. creed, modify the bolt stop, and get a few different factory magazines.
2) Buy an on-sale Tikka T3x 6.5 Creed
2a) Buy an on-sale .243 as you described above.

If it were me, I would go with option 1 and a factory takeoff 6.5creed barrel, simply so I could buy one single great scope instead of thinking I needed two scopes within the same budget. I think factory ammunition availability dictates that choice.

@Brandon, you might win the ultimate stalker award with over 12 years as a member before your first post. :LOL:

What does your timeline look like for needing the rifle ready to go? Most pre-fit barrel makers are 10-12 weeks out.

If you're in a crunch on time, I'd buy a factory tikka in 6.5 creed and hunt with factory ammo for this year. You can buy a 6 creedmoor pre-fit on a black friday sale, swap your barrels, sell the 6.5 creed barrel on these classifieds for $100-150 and have more time next year to get that setup dialed in. You wouldn't have to worry about changing magazines, bolt face, or bolt stop with that cartridge swap either.

OP
Brandon

Brandon

FNG
@Brandon, you might win the ultimate stalker award with over 12 years as a member before your first post. :LOL:

What does your timeline look like for needing the rifle ready to go? Most pre-fit barrel makers are 10-12 weeks out.

If you're in a crunch on time, I'd buy a factory tikka in 6.5 creed and hunt with factory ammo for this year. You can buy a 6 creedmoor pre-fit on a black friday sale, swap your barrels, sell the 6.5 creed barrel on these classifieds for $100-150 and have more time next year to get that setup dialed in. You wouldn't have to worry about changing magazines, bolt face, or bolt stop with that cartridge swap either.
Hahaha, is it a trophy or just a piece of paper? I figured it was about time to make my first post! Thanks for the feedback!

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.5 with factory ammo is a great option but you could also get the 243 and hunt with locally available factory ammo for this season if you're in a time crunch and then get the custom ammo when you've got more time.

180ls1

WKR

I like this idea.

Also, if you add a brake/suppressor + a lighter bullet (like the 120 Match) I wonder how much recoil/ballistics you are really giving up compared to the 6mm/108.

Hahaha, is it a trophy or just a piece of paper? I figured it was about time to make my first post! Thanks for the feedback!
If you ask super nicely, @fngTony has been known to award special nicknames under your avatar instead of FNG.

I have never seen anyone remotely close to 12 years of membership for their first post.

I am impatient and broke and wanted another tikka so I went with the 243 1:8 t3x compact. I reload so this was a good option for me.

The Guide

WKR
What ranges are you look at hunting to? What is your kill distance and on what game? A 6.5 Creedmoor with a 120 ELDM or a 120 NBT will give you lighter recoil and effective bullet performance to 500 yards with minimal recoil. This would be the easiest thing for this season. You can see if you like the cartridge and then have a full season to build the 6CM if you decide the 6.5CM doesn't allow you to maintain follow through after the shot.

Jay

TxxAgg

WKR
I like this idea.

Also, if you add a brake/suppressor + a lighter bullet (like the 120 Match) I wonder how much recoil/ballistics you are really giving up compared to the 6mm/108.
Curious about this too

I like this idea.

Curious about this too

I've used this very basic calculator when deciding on a pre-fit to replace the factory 300 WM barrel on my old T3 superlite. You can just look up online load data to get close on the powder charge field if you don't reload.

https://shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

180ls1

WKR
I've used this very basic calculator when deciding on a pre-fit to replace the factory 300 WM barrel on my old T3 superlite. You can just look up online load data to get close on the powder charge field if you don't reload.

https://shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

That's pretty cool. With factory Hornday stuff in an 8.5lb rifle and a 40% reduction for the muzzle device. Its about 7lb for the 6.5/120 and 6.2lb for the 6/108.

6 creedmoor hornady 108 is usually easy to find on the shelf . Makes a great hunting round. I've killed alot of animals past 600rds with it
I also have a 243 shooting 108s at 3150 in a tikka carbon, it's a hammer!

OP
Brandon

Brandon

FNG
If you ask super nicely, @fngTony has been known to award special nicknames under your avatar instead of FNG.

I have never seen anyone remotely close to 12 years of membership for their first post.
That would probably take away some of my stalkiness : )

OP
Brandon

Brandon

FNG
I like this idea.

What ranges are you look at hunting to? What is your kill distance and on what game? A 6.5 Creedmoor with a 120 ELDM or a 120 NBT will give you lighter recoil and effective bullet performance to 500 yards with minimal recoil. This would be the easiest thing for this season. You can see if you like the cartridge and then have a full season to build the 6CM if you decide the 6.5CM doesn't allow you to maintain follow through after the shot.

Jay
This was my thought exactly. All my shots are typically within 400 yards, and I do shoot suppressed. It seems like it would start to be in the same ballpark.

I agree with others that you should buy a 6.5 now chop thread shoot. If you think it’s to much recoil or isn’t what you want order a 6cm barrel and swap them out. I imagine an already threaded 6.5cm barrel will have a decent resell value.

I bought a factory Tikka .243 with a 1/8 twist, then took it to a gunsmith and had him ream it to a 6CM. Have been super happy with it and I can now shoot the factory 108 ELD-M. Cost me about $150, and couldn’t be happier.

z987k

WKR
I bought a factory Tikka .243 with a 1/8 twist, then took it to a gunsmith and had him ream it to a 6CM. Have been super happy with it and I can now shoot the factory 108 ELD-M. Cost me about $150, and couldn’t be happier.
I didn't realize a 6cm chamber cleans up a 243 chamber.