Browning X Bolt Barrel Threading for Suppressor

UP NORTH

WKR
Looking for some insight from guys that had tried threading an Xbolt for a suppressor. I know it’s been discussed a little.

Has anyone had success with getting the barrel threaded for a suppressor? The muzzle diameter is 0.615 at full barrel length (approx 21”). If I had it chopped to 18” I’d gain a little at 0.646”.

Looking at TBAC minimum OD barrel requirements I could only do 1/2x28 thread pitch.

I have the rifle up for sale. My thought was the barrel is too skinny and I could put the funds towards another rifle that would be suppressor ready. But it’s been difficult finding a buyer.

Any insight would be helpful.

KenLee

WKR
I have no input on the threading, but I'd just buy a new suppressor ready 18 inch barreled x-bolt for $11-1200 already cerakoated and ready to go.
Skip the might or might not hold up of cutting and threading what you have. Just my opinion.
Wish Browning sold that rifle in an 18 inch 7mm-08 along with the 6.5 CM and 308.

OP
UP NORTH

UP NORTH

WKR
I have no input on the threading, but I'd just buy a new suppressor ready 18 inch barreled x-bolt for $11-1200 already cerakoated and ready to go.
Skip the might or might not hold up of cutting and threading what you have. Just my opinion.
Wish Browning sold that rifle in an 18 inch 7mm-08 along with the 6.5 CM and 308.
I would like to go that route but need to sell this gun first. I love the xbolt and this one has been super accurate.

I recently had two barrels threaded that measured approximately .580" at the muzzle (Browning A-Bolt 270 WSM and Savage Trophy Hunter 308 Win). Gunsmith trimmed both barrels back to about 18", cut 1/2-28 threads, then installed a 1/2-28 by 5/8-24 adapter. I've put a few rounds through both rifles with a direct thread 30 caliber suppressor on with no issues so far.

KenLee

WKR
Aaah I recently bought a carbon medallion in 6.5 Creedmoor. Probably set for awhile on that round unless my son is interested. He's still a 243 fan after shooting them 27 years.
His only concern when he found out about the new Creedmoor was whether I was going to rob a scope off one of the old a-bolt 243s that I still have...and he occasionally runs off with.

OP
UP NORTH

UP NORTH

WKR
Aaah I recently bought a carbon medallion in 6.5 Creedmoor. Probably set for awhile on that round unless my son is interested. He's still a 243 fan after shooting them 27 years.
His only concern when he found out about the new Creedmoor was whether I was going to rob a scope off one of the old a-bolt 243s that I still have...and he occasionally runs off with.
243 is another great cartridge, I have one as well.

atmat

WKR
Don’t most Xbolts nowadays come threaded already for a brake? If it’s a 1/2” you can just get an adapter for cheap for your can.

KenLee

WKR
Don’t most Xbolts nowadays come threaded already for a brake? If it’s a 1/2” you can just get an adapter for cheap for your can.
I think he's wanting to lose at least 4 inches off the barrel so it's not so long when he adds the can.

atmat

WKR
I think he's wanting to lose at least 4 inches off the barrel so it's not so long when he adds the can.
That may be the case and I’d advise that. But he posted his measurements at the muzzle, too, so I thought he might be open to it.

OP
UP NORTH

UP NORTH

WKR
Mine Xbolt is threaded and has a muzzle break. It’s a 2016 model so it’s metric, I believe M13x1.25.

My goal is to keep the overall length down, my suppressor that’s coming is 9” in length.

I have a x-bolt in 25-06 that I had threaded by Thunderbeast for my suppressor 3 years ago. No issues. Give Thunderbeast a call.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 30-06 X-bolt with standard stainless barrel that's also a little thin for 5/8-24 thread, so I'm just going to have it chopped to 19" and threaded at 1/2-28. The thread below and an overall lack of actual, documented 1/2" thread issues gives me confidence that I'll not have any issues with thread failure.
Edit- I should have enough barrel thickness for 9/16-24 threads which are larger/stronger than 1/2-28.

Last edited:

MOVA

FNG
Sportsmans has an 18in 6.5CM x bolt. I held one, felt nice but went with HC SR 22in. 5/8 already threaded if OP is still on this track.

Which suppressor are you going to get? If it is one that you can change out the mounting system (one that has a universal 1-3/8"-24 mount thread), then you can just get a 1/2-28 mount and move on. If it doesn't then as recommended above, just have your smith chop it, thread it to 1/2-28 and install an adapter to 5/8-24. I have had a couple done that way. Kampfeld, Shean rifles, and others will do it and even profile the back of the adapter so that it transitions seamlessly from the contour of your barrel. The price for that is usually in the $150-$200 range, plus shipping.

OP
UP NORTH

UP NORTH

WKR
Which suppressor are you going to get? If it is one that you can change out the mounting system (one that has a universal 1-3/8"-24 mount thread), then you can just get a 1/2-28 mount and move on. If it doesn't then as recommended above, just have your smith chop it, thread it to 1/2-28 and install an adapter to 5/8-24. I have had a couple done that way. Kampfeld, Shean rifles, and others will do it and even profile the back of the adapter so that it transitions seamlessly from the contour of your barrel. The price for that is usually in the $150-$200 range, plus shipping.
CGS Hyperion is what I ordered so it does not have the universal mount. I ended up finding a trade for a rifle the already has 5/8-24, problem solved. I appreciate the insight and I have other rifles that need to be threaded.

BriderLV

FNG
Sportsmans has an 18in 6.5CM x bolt. I held one, felt nice but went with HC SR 22in. 5/8 already threaded if OP is still on this track.

@MOVA which one did you get? I’m looking for a 6.5 but the 18” is on the short side , 22” would be perfect. Tks