Boxer Briefs for extended hunts

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
Icebreaker...wore 2 pair over a 9 day early season muley hunt..it was hot and we sweatted a lot...but they never stank and never were an issue..forgot I was wearing them! So worth it!

Look into the Core4element boxers. I used three pairs on a 10 day archery elk hunt. They are extremely comfortable, durable and wick away odor very well.

OP
D

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies! For sure will be picking up a pair of the ice breakers and give them a go.

Like said before, what is the difference in under armor synthetics and exoficio?

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Champion (Walmart brand) full synthetic boxer briefs have actually served me well. About $10/pr I think.

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies! For sure will be picking up a pair of the ice breakers and give them a go.

Like said before, what is the difference in under armor synthetics and exoficio?

Good question. Probably a trade secret, but the stuff works and works really well. Must be a treatment and a structure to the fabric that provides maximum breathability, stink repellant, abrasion resistance and comfort. There is a huge difference. All of the other synthetic stuff that I tried like UA was stinky, wet, abraded the inside of my thighs and pilled up. ExOfficio (give n go briefs) for some reason, just don't stink. They stay dry, i.e. keeps the crotch rot away and hold up really well. They don't abrade the inside of my thighs. It is the only synthetic that I would consider and it wins over the merino, in my opinion, because they are much more durable and less expensive while providing the same comfort and performance. You should give a pair a try as I have found them as inexpensive as $11 a pair.

PA 5-0

WKR
+1 for Icebreakers. not cheap but worth every penny. I am a tighty whity guy on the every day but did the Icebreaker sport briefs for my sheep hunt. Five solid days per pair and no swamp ass. And we were humping. The lack of stink was down right unbelievable. Same thing for the merino base layers. Awesome stuff.

wpwarren

FNG
I really like the icebreakers. I have found multiple pairs for right around $15 so the price isn't too bad either. I tried the exofficio's but hated them. I didn't think they breathed well at all and I was constantly sweaty. This lead to a ton of chaffing. Even with all the sweat they never stunk, but the merino boxers just handle the moisture better.

trk3263

WKR
I loved the icebreaker and no stink after wearing for several days but they only lasted one season before a butt crack blow out. Think I want to try the Sitka and exofficio.

gmajor

WKR
My firstlite boxers are one of my most treasured pieces of clothing, haha. I really prefer firstlite's wool over other brands, but that's just my experience. Mine look brand new and have been used hard.

Bughalli

WKR
exOfficio, but given they are synthetic I try to wash them each day. I alternate between 2-3 pairs. If I was doing it all over I would try wool, only because if these are anything like the synthetic vs wool shirts I have I'll get more time out of them before they smell. I love my wool shirts and won't go back to synthetic, just haven't tried the underwear yet.

Kotaman

WKR
What are you guys doing to the First Lite Underwear that durability is an issue? I've wore mine for weeks at a time all over the world and they are still going strong. I have both some of the original "long" ones and some of the newer style. I've wore them for weeks at a time on goat hunts, sheep hunts and wear them all winter coyote hunting. I usually take two pair on a 10 day hunt and wear each pair for 5 days. No stink, no durability issues what-so-ever. I've never tried any other wool undies as I've never had reason to. I buy mine a size big, cause I don't like the boyz restricted...Maybe you all are buying your drawers too tight? :confused::cool:

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
The crotch started pilling and then getting thinner and then the whole crotch blew out. When you have legs like Arnold, it can be hard on underwear or pants. All I have to do is squat or do the splits and it is a great test of durability on a lot of pants/underwear. No way am I going with an XL with the waist flopping around when L fits like it should. Maybe Icebreaker or Minus33 make a better pair - haven't tried. I did rip a pair of Icebreaker 150 leggings unexpectedly, the other day, when pulling them on in a hurry (Ripped right where my hand was pulling). Also, I have followed the cleaning and drying instructions to a tee.

Maybe a skinnier legged guy would have no problems like I have.

Last edited:

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
i'm crackin up here.
who would have thought a thread on undies would go 2 pages;
I use ibex !

When you think about it, next to socks and boot fit - underwear is very important. It can sideline you on a hunt just like blisters on the feet will. Can't let the boys bounce around or you will be sick to your stomach all day. Can't have severe chafing or crotch rot or you will be thinking about the pain and/or the itching with every step and not getting much hunting done. If it is cold weather and you are wearing cotton undies, then you might be overly chilled due to the cooling effects of cotton. "Cotton Kills" is a very true statement in cold weather.