Boxer Briefs for extended hunts

What are you guys doing to the First Lite Underwear that durability is an issue? I've wore mine for weeks at a time all over the world and they are still going strong. I have both some of the original "long" ones and some of the newer style. I've wore them for weeks at a time on goat hunts, sheep hunts and wear them all winter coyote hunting. I usually take two pair on a 10 day hunt and wear each pair for 5 days. No stink, no durability issues what-so-ever. I've never tried any other wool undies as I've never had reason to. I buy mine a size big, cause I don't like the boyz restricted...Maybe you all are buying your drawers too tight? :confused::cool:

Same here I have worn the chit out of mine hunting with no issues and I wear them daily too. I have a few pairs of Sitka merino briefs and I think two of the three have holes in them now and are coming apart at the stitching. Just my experience with those two brands.

I do the exact same- great product...

Switched from UA boxers to firstlite boxers several years ago.

10 day trip I wear a pair and take 1 extra pair .. Switching them out everyday.

Amazing material!

If its cold.. (Sub30) I take the full leggins and do not wear boxers under them.

Murdy

WKR
I've found size really varies on briefs. Have tried the following, all in the same size: Minus 33 (too small); C4E (ok, but cut odd for me); Redram (perfect / out of production); UA (fit fine, but prefer the merino); just ordered a pair of First Lite I found on sale (hope they work for the price). I also read an Amazon review about Icebreakers having a seam down the crack -- not sure if it was all models or just one particular line, but didn't sound comfortable.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I go and back forth between the Sitka Merino and the First Lite Red Desert Merino. If money was no concern I'd always go with the FL. The long length and thick waist band make them more comfortable. The seat fits a little odd, but its not a comfort issue so who cares, yeah? : )

You can get the odd camo pattern colors on sale if you keep an eye out. For early season jaunts where weight is critical a guy can even leave additional base layers home and just run the Red Deserts. Combine them with a sock like the First Lite Mountain Athlete and some gaiters and your good to go. I have used the Ex-Officio stuff in the past, but now that I have gone the merino route I won't go back.

As for durability I'm not sure what you guys are doing in yours to tear them up. :) Mine look like new and if they did tear I'm pretty sure First Lite Customer Service would send you out some new ones. They got a good rep in customer service.

MattB

WKR
I have used the Ex Officio for years and are very happy with them. They seem to give you the benefits of synthetics with odor control similar to wool. 2 pair on a ~10 day hunt is all I take.

Avodude might be on to something. I am a little man at 5 feet 8 inches tall and 175 lbs BUT I have lifted weights consistently for over 20 years with ALOT of deadlifts and squats making my already genetically large thighs larger. I really like FirstLite as a company and they stand bye the products they make . All the products I have from them have been great except as I previously mentioned the red desert boxers crotch blowing out .

Elk Dog

FNG
ExOfficio works for me. Throwing out all the cotton & wearing EO boxer briefs everyday.

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
SAXX Blacksheep here. Merino blend. Stank control is descent.

for anyone not familiar…. The whole SAXX concept is that they have little baffles inside that cocoon your gear….. Keeps them all nestled away by themselves. No flopping, rubbing, chaffing. Absolutely love them. Picked up multiple cotton ones too for everyday life. All I wear now.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
I tried Sitka and exofficio and neither worked well. Using product from Canadian company "naked" and it works well for me. A lot of times I would use core layer in lieu of undergarments, especially on multi week trips. Take more than 1 :)

Had an Amazon gift card so I got some ExOfficio and really like them so far. Have not tried them in the field yet.

I bought some Core4 merino boxers when they were still all merino and I LOVE them. Got some of the new ones a few weeks ago and don't really like the fit. For some reason they are tight around the thigh, and I am fairly skinny.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I use the exoficios and they are great. I liked my Patagonias too, but I found them less durable. I just recently started trying out ice breaker Merino boxers and like them so far.