Bowhunting in SW Colorado

Hey Guys , Iam a Bowhunter from Australia , Ive hunted in Idaho and in Utah , taking a OTC Bull in Utah . Iam hoping to travel to Colorado in September 2023 to hunt Elk , I'Il of course only be hunting on a OTC tag and by myself as I did previously hunts , Iam looking at SW Colorado somewhere between Silverton and Durango , I understand unit 76 is not a OTC unit , what would be my best UNIT option in that part of the state . Ill have up to 3 weeks to hunt , Iam fit for my age and an experienced Bowhunter . I would greatly appreciate some advise from hunters in those areas .

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
CPW took most of SW Colorado off the OTC list and made them draw units. You can still try and draw for the 2023 season though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below is the OTC archery E/S map from the 2022 brochure. You can see Durango on the map; Silverton sits on the border between 74 and 75. No OTC archery hunting in the areas you described.

1672411497989.jpeg

OP
ozziehunter
OP
ozziehunter
Thank you for your reply , I hope I can locate a reasonably productive unit to start hunting .

OP
ozziehunter
82…… if you have 3 weeks.
Thank you for your reply , Iam hoping to be over for the whole season , may hunt in Utah for a week as well , love those mountains and don't mind walking in to find some animals . HNY Buddy

TheHammer

WKR
It was kinda sarcastic, the Sangre’s have a popular opinion to hold the reputation of being the most rugged terrain in the Rocky’s. Common 3,000’ + ft gains and losses on very rocky terrain that is climb-able but navigating the descend, is difficult, the bottoms can have 20+ft tall piles of blowdown/beetle kill that washed/avalanched to the bottoms. Weather isn’t predictable, teens - 35* at night and 90* during the day, pop up storms, unpredictable wind changes… tons of hunting pressure. But everywhere in co has tons of pressure, even draw units. If you want to hunt 76, go in for the draw, might get it. Look at drop camps, a fella on here does drop camps in 75. But is booked to 2024.

OP
ozziehunter
It was kinda sarcastic, the Sangre’s have a popular opinion to hold the reputation of being the most rugged terrain in the Rocky’s. Common 3,000’ + ft gains and losses on very rocky terrain that is climb-able but navigating the descend, is difficult, the bottoms can have 20+ft tall piles of blowdown/beetle kill that washed/avalanched to the bottoms. Weather isn’t predictable, teens - 35* at night and 90* during the day, pop up storms, unpredictable wind changes… tons of hunting pressure. But everywhere in co has tons of pressure, even draw units. If you want to hunt 76, go in for the draw, might get it. Look at drop camps, a fella on here does drop camps in 75. But is booked to 2024.
Again thank you for your opinions and comments , Yah when I hunted in Idaho in 2019 the beetle kill was a nightmare it took so long to get anywhere and I have no idea how Elk even get threw it . Utah was better for hiking through the country , I was lucky calling in a Bull on my fourth day and taking him at 20 yards , it was the only Elk I saw for my whole trip to the US . I dont want to travel to far east in CO as Iam flying in and out of Salt Lake . I really want to hunt CO as it will be my last trip abroad .

Put in for the draws in NM. No points required. Don’t draw then buy a unit wide tag for the unit you want to hunt. Warning! Some units are more expensive than they realistically should be.

OP
ozziehunter
Put in for the draws in NM. No points required. Don’t draw then buy a unit wide tag for the unit you want to hunt. Warning! Some units are more expensive than they realistically should

Put in for the draws in NM. No points required. Don’t draw then buy a unit wide tag for the unit you want to hunt. Warning! Some units are more expensive than they realistically should be.
Hi , Are you referring to New Mexico , I had not considered that state as I thought the only way you could hunt there was by drawing a tag , I didnt no you could draw with no points , This will be my last trip over as its just becoming to expensive to travel abroad for the average person , When applying in NM do you have to nominate a unit at the time of applying because I wouldn't have a clue what is a good unit . I really appreciate your thoughts Buddy .Thank you .

tdhanses

WKR
Again thank you for your opinions and comments , Yah when I hunted in Idaho in 2019 the beetle kill was a nightmare it took so long to get anywhere and I have no idea how Elk even get threw it . Utah was better for hiking through the country , I was lucky calling in a Bull on my fourth day and taking him at 20 yards , it was the only Elk I saw for my whole trip to the US . I dont want to travel to far east in CO as Iam flying in and out of Salt Lake . I really want to hunt CO as it will be my last trip abroad .
Plenty of otc units in the far west central part of the state.