Boss shotgun shells?

I HAD been a pretty avid Waterfowler. Would generally buy a case of steel pre season. Rogers Sporting would often have rebates etc.

I am FLOORED at ammo prices post Covid. Shelves in eastern WA and N. Idaho are FULL. There are stickers of $69 for a box on Non Tox. They way I shoot that would be a $12 volley. Ouch.

I am working toward making a life change and venturing out to central Idaho. Chukars, Huns, and more time with my dogs after upland. I follow a Kanasa Wirehair guy who travels the West and is a die hard bird hunter.

Think he runs Boss shells.

I like the idea of not having 5 different types of ammo floating around a vest or truck floor board. Of having to load and unload crossing from public to a refuge to waterfowl to whatever.

Enough to burn $400 on a "case" of ammo? I don't think. But I am thinking I could do much worse than a case of the 3" 3/5 combo for ducks and birds.

I do NOT see Boss ammo at any of the online bigger sales places like Mack's Prairie Wings or Rogers. Any leads on where I could find a case with some sort of pro-mo or rebate?

Thoughts on Boss in general? I don't think Kent or Rio or anyone else comes close to price for non tox???

KurtR

WKR
They are direct to consumer and I dont know that i have ever seen a promo. The 2 3/4 3/5 has been more than enough even for the big honkers. Its not lead but damn close

KurtR

WKR
Obviously you’ve shot some? Good stuff? 5 Stars?? Lol
yep i like it. But if im chasing chinese chickens im still shooting lead because its cheaper and still the best. Thing for me is i dont have to travel more than 10 minutes to hunt them or waterfowl so i just keep both in the pickup.

You need to know, boss ammo comes in boxes of 20 so a case is 200 shells not 250 like other brands. That said I have used 3 inch 4s and 2s this early season and it hits hard and is good stuff. And hell I am so old I remember shooting lead.😀😀

Sharppse

FNG
I spoke to them at game fair this year and they do not plan on selling to rogers, macks ect. Buy on there website and they will ship out directly. If they are out you can sign up for email notifications when your shell is back in stock.

I have used there ammo and it is good high quality ammo. It is expensive though

Mosby

WKR
I've stocked up on ammo for the next year and I normally don't buy expensive ammo for myself. I can still use lead in some areas I hunt for pheasant and I use steel most of the time, when I can't use lead.

My oldest son just moved to the DC area and we might book a couple hunts on the Eastern Shore next year. If we end up doing that, I will likely put in an order for some Boss shells.

Love my Boss shells. 3" 5s for early season ducks/geese, 4s for late season and swans. All you really need.

SBFD63

FNG
I've shot it for 3 seasons now on ducks and a few geese. I honestly will not go back to steel. The first year I picked some up was late season. I kept close track of how it shot. 22 shots 18 ducks only 1 did not die in the air. I'll pay a little more to not have cripples. I have given boxes to a couple friends and they ordered after using it. Even 2 college aged kids got together and split a case between them.

It's treated me well.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

OP
J
So......75% waterfowl. With an occassional Montana/Idaho toss in for pheasant, sharpies, Huns and Chukar.

Could do best with a 3/5 or straigh 5s?

bparrish

FNG
The 3/5 might even be too big of shot size for chukar and huns. I would shoot 6s, but if you want a combo load, they would certainly work.

jaric

FNG
I’d go straight 4s. But I don’t really prefer duplex loads. The way I look at it, is if you need the 3s for penetration, you probably don’t have the pattern density you need for a clean kill, and if the 5s do the trick, you don’t need the 3s in the pattern.

TSAMP

WKR
I recently made the switch to boss shells for upland. I got tired of having a grab bag of shells of different manufacturers depending on what I could find.

They did pattern well so I'll burn through a case. I'm not a high volume shooter though so it will be a bit.

Ordering direct online was easy and came quick. They are out of Michigan as I recall.

dtrkyman

WKR
When I run out of steel I will be ordering from them, best price on Bismuth and their copper coated.

I shoot decoying birds so I will go straight 5s.

eamyrick

WKR
I’ve shot boss for two seasons now and don’t see myself going back. I’ve shot Cranes and Geese with 3 inch 20 gauges #5s with great success. I like 3 inch 12 gauge 3s for when shots will be further. Very happy with Boss and met the owners at DSC last year. Stand up guys.

twall13

WKR
I switched over to Boss last year, so two years using it and I've been very happy with it. I don't do a ton of waterfowl hunting but the area in SD I hunt pheasants is a mixed bag and the Corp of Engineer ground we hunt requires non toxic. When I'm out hunting it I'm often passing in and out of areas requiring non toxic and I don't want to swap out shells and worry about that. I use the 2 3/4" 5's in 12 and 16 gauge and they have a lot more knockdown power than steel. I feel like it patterns better one choke tighter than normal but maybe that's just my guns. Either way, it works great and I plan on continuing to use it.