Boss shotgun shells?

What is the Boss "copper plated" shot made of? Briefly looking at their website Boss show bismuth shot and the copper plated shot, which I would assume is copper plating over steel shot? They sure are not forthcoming with that information though.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll echo what most have said.

Made the switch a few years ago. 12 ga 2 3/4” # 5 for all waterfowl, pheasant, woodcock and sharp tail.

I hunt with some guys who say it’s stupid to not buy cheap steel. But I like when something I shoot id dead before it hits the ground/water.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
What is the Boss "copper plated" shot made of? Briefly looking at their website Boss show bismuth shot and the copper plated shot, which I would assume is copper plating over steel shot? They sure are not forthcoming with that information though.
Copper plated bismuth. I’m sure they’d discuss any other questions you have over the phone. Their FAQ section covers a lot on the website.

Bkbanks13

FNG
I shoot boss at ducks and honkers. 2 3/4” 5s are all you need. They even kill big honkers. It’s quality stuff and is noticeably better than steel.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Bought some Boss 28 ga #4s for decoying honkers. Also bought some 12 ga #1s Friday for my "regular" honker loads. My first crack at Boss ammo. I hunt with guys who swear by it, so I bought 3 boxes of each.

I am curious however to know what the difference is between their "Stinger" rounds vs their regular rounds...??? Anyone know?

Seems as if the "Stingers" are 2-3/4" but looks like they gave regular 2-3/4" rounds that aren't listed as Stingers....🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Row Jimmy

FNG
It is good stuff but make sure you pattern the BOSS with your gun/choke. Bismuth patterns way different than steel. It is soft like lead, you usually need to choke down do get good patterns.

OP
J
I shot 3 limits of ducks with the Boss 3" 3/5 combo. I was not overly impressed. Don't feel they were a game changer. Like advice I gave to a Newbie on here....if the ducks are in range....you'll know it.

I ran a case of Kent #4s a few years ago. Must have patterned well in my Versa. Because I had a ton of one shot stops and a few days of almost going clean on full strap. Because the birds were working close enough to kill.

Same this season. I ran out of Boss in my blind bag. Some Kent Fast Steel 2.0 (which do NOT see as consistent with my choke/gun combo) also killed birds rather nicely.

Think there is a ton of merit for their shot sizes and loading for upland on Refuge or non tox manditory sites. But regular steel is way cheaper and kills birds too.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know what the difference between their Stinger rounds vs Regular rounds are?

dtrkyman

WKR
Stinger load is less shot, a little more velocity and less recoil. The 12ga is only a 1oz load. 12ga only I believe.

For the most part modern ammo out performs the shooter, I am quite deadly inside 35 yards, further out not so much but I shoot decoying ducks and geese, steel crushes them when I do my part!

No question the heavier shot will perform better, I got a crazy deal on heavier than lead shells once, bought a ton of it and it is just pure evil on geese! Not sure Bismuth is that drastic of an improvement?

Birdie

FNG
I’ve been running Boss #5s out of my 16 gauge in areas where both pheasant and waterfowl are encountered. I haven’t noticed any major differences between Boss and the steel 3s I used to use.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been running Boss #5s out of my 16 gauge in areas where both pheasant and waterfowl are encountered. I haven’t noticed any major differences between Boss and the steel 3s I used to use.

Other than pellet count, you would see similar performance between steel 3's and bismuth 5's; maybe even a little better penetration with the 3's if they are starting at a higher velocity.

Birdie

FNG
Other than pellet count, you would see similar performance between steel 3's and bismuth 5's; maybe even a little better penetration with the 3's if they are starting at a higher velocity.
Well the pellet count is the whole reason to use bismuth over steel. 158 pellets for an oz. Of steel shot 206 for an oz. of bismuth. I will say even with the copper coating the bismuth pellets break apart when they hit bone. Whenever I use up my current supply I’ll probably switch to 4’s for my hunting. As far as energy goes I’ve always compared bismuth to steel by moving it down one size instead of 2 for steel.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting the Boss #4's for pheasants the last 2 years, I've had no complaints. I'm going to buy a box of #5's to see how they compare to the #4's but I've been shooting the #4's pretty well last 2 years.

TSAMP

WKR
Real question is, has anyone bought one of those hoodys? 85 dollar heavy duty made in Merica. If it didn't have a huge logo I'd probably give it a go.

Birdie

FNG
Real question is, has anyone bought one of those hoodys? 85 dollar heavy duty made in Merica. If it didn't have a huge logo I'd probably give it a go.
I have zero doubt you can find a better hoodie cheaper than a branded hoodie from a direct to customer company.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot Boss shells & like 'em...but I will be the first to admit that I have zero actual data to support the claim that they kill more birds.

What would be nice is a study with observable, measurable & repeatable data across a variety of popular shotshells to provide some real evidence-based intel (for those of us who need more than three shells to acquire a limit of roosters).

Not holding my breath.

Stapless

FNG
Serious issue with Boss shells. Misfire over and again. Used the 5 shorty for pheasants. Ok if hot and dry. Foggy morning resulted in recurrent misfires. Wad plugged barrel repeatedly. Reached out to Boss. Lots of lip service and no resolution. Aaron was far less than helpful. Web search shows my issue is not unique. Buyer beware!!

TSAMP

WKR
Serious issue with Boss shells. Misfire over and again. Used the 5 shorty for pheasants. Ok if hot and dry. Foggy morning resulted in recurrent misfires. Wad plugged barrel repeatedly. Reached out to Boss. Lots of lip service and no resolution. Aaron was far less than helpful. Web search shows my issue is not unique. Buyer beware!!
Welcome to the forum. I see you joined 13 minutes ago. Legacy or warchief shell? Was this from a single box? First time user?