Born Outdoor Badger Bed Review

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I met Stuart, the owner of Born Outdoor, at the Western Hunt Exo in Salt Lake City this February. Born Outdoor is a small family business in Colorado. Their main product is a 4-season bedroll that comes in two sizes. Throughout this season, I'll be using the Badger Bed 25 Siera Bundle on any trips where I'm not backpacking.

The thing that got me interested in this is the modularity they offer. With different quilt and sheet configurations, you can use it from summer, through winter. I hate being too warm when I sleep so I'm interested to see how this works.

Let me know your questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.

1000002993.jpg

Last edited:

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Justin,

The specs show 78 inches on the length. How accurate is this? I wonder if it would fit in my truck bed, so I could sleep under my topper.

sndmn11

WKR
"The outer shell provides protection from the elements to keep your sheets, mattress and insulation layers dry. It’s simple, durable, and flexible."

Test it!

My topper isn't water tight and it always seems to rain the day before I might sleep in the bed. Sounds like this might solve that problem.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
"The outer shell provides protection from the elements to keep your sheets, mattress and insulation layers dry. It’s simple, durable, and flexible."

Test it!

My topper isn't water tight and it always seems to rain the day before I might sleep in the bed. Sounds like this might solve that problem.
I will definitely find out!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

Test it!

I talked to Stuart today and this is what he said.

"The top layer has a DWR treatment on it so it will handle morning dew or spilling water on it but it isn't waterproof. It's a design balance between being waterproof and breathable and you only get one. We opted for breathability because you can always build a shelter. The bottom material has a PVC coating and it is waterproof. We opted to not seal the seams because it added a lot of cost into it and we just didn't see a scenario where it was needed. If you're getting that much rain, chances are you aren't actually sleeping!

For water coming into a camper shell, the Badger Bed would be a good option. Water in the truck bed wouldn't really effect it. Like in a tent, if there is an actual hole in the tent allowing a stream of water, the top layer won't stop it. 

Worst case, you could see some moisture come through the seams, but not enough to impact the performance. Also, the sheets and quilts can easily be removed and dried if needed".

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Not an extreme test by any stretch but I'm looking forward to trying out the Badger Bed this weekend.

1000003199.jpg