Boots - are we doing it wrong

ME180

FNG
No it isn’t. Weak feet are modern world thing- by and large “foot” and lower limb problems are not present to this day in cultures that do not wear shoes or only very soft shoes, or only sandals.

Everest porters:

tennis shoes-
View attachment 741974

Tennis shoes-
View attachment 741975

Tennis shoes-
View attachment 741976

Sandals-
View attachment 741977

And before the “well their feet are probably messed up”, no- they aren’t. Foot problems with them, and everywhere else in the world are at a way lower rate- sometimes near nonexistent, than in the modern world.

Feet are designed to carry weight and support one’s body and load. We (the modern world) have a weak feet, lower leg, and spine problem. As soon as a baby is born people put two caskets on their feet, the feet never develop muscular and tendon/ligament strength and stability, lower leg supporting structures never develop, injuries to knees and feet result, and then when you become an adult you get orthotic “supports”; meanwhile ignoring the very problem at its source- weak feet and legs.

“Supportive” footwear is just like most modern medicine- treat the symptom, not the disease and the root cause at its source.
What lightweight boot or shoe do you recommend for a fall, late October rifle elk hunt?

Has anyone wearing minimal footwear, barefeet style, Altras for toe splay, etc. had trouble with ski boots?

My ski boots are 10 years old now and have become unbearable. I'm curious if my foot has simply changed with time or if it's the transition in my footwear over the last ten years.

Now that I don't live in the mountains, I'm considering just snowboarding from now on. But curious if any of you toe splayers have found ski boots that work.

Pdzoller

WKR
No it isn’t. Weak feet are modern world thing- by and large “foot” and lower limb problems are not present to this day in cultures that do not wear shoes or only very soft shoes, or only sandals.

Everest porters:

tennis shoes-
View attachment 741974

Tennis shoes-
View attachment 741975

Tennis shoes-
View attachment 741976

Sandals-
View attachment 741977

And before the “well their feet are probably messed up”, no- they aren’t. Foot problems with them, and everywhere else in the world are at a way lower rate- sometimes near nonexistent, than in the modern world.

Feet are designed to carry weight and support one’s body and load. We (the modern world) have a weak feet, lower leg, and spine problem. As soon as a baby is born people put two caskets on their feet, the feet never develop muscular and tendon/ligament strength and stability, lower leg supporting structures never develop, injuries to knees and feet result, and then when you become an adult you get orthotic “supports”; meanwhile ignoring the very problem at its source- weak feet and legs.

“Supportive” footwear is just like most modern medicine- treat the symptom, not the disease and the root cause at its source.
With some quick googling you can find studies that support both points of view. Foot problems very much occur on a high level in developing countries. Conditions such as broken bones, lacerations, abscesses among a host of other ailments plague people in these areas. Most don’t have the option to complain. I do agree that with time a person can definitely toughen up. I’ll keep my boots and baby soft feet though.

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
As a culture, we are most certainly doing it wrong. There may be a time and place for heavy, stiff footwear. But shoes/boots that let our feet function properly is ideal.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve seen so many other people’s turned ankles from little rock’s and uneven terrain combined with light weight footwear that I feel like I’m reading advice from a different planet. Cutting cross country in rough terrain, loose shale, and all the crap we hike through I honestly wouldn’t hunt with someone in trail running shoes - I’ve helped a guy 5 miles cross country who couldn’t put weight on one leg and damned if I’ll ever volunteer for that misery again! They can hunt with someone else who can baby sit and be an echo chamber for that silliness.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
With some quick googling you can find studies that support both points of view. Foot problems very much occur on a high level in developing countries.

Not chronic issues due to not wearing supportive, stiff boots.

Conditions such as broken bones,

Nothing to due with not warring stiff boots.

lacerations,

abscesses

among a host of other ailments plague people in these areas.

The most common, and nearly only common issues in places wear people don’t wear shoes at all are parasites and fungus (mostly tropical)- nearly any covering and washing stops that.

Most don’t have the option to complain. I do agree that with time a person can definitely toughen up. I’ll keep my boots and baby soft feet though.

The stuff boot narrative is a marketing derived thing, just lots of things are. I have a pretty deep and wide personal experience with minimal versus supporting shoes among various people carrying heavy packs and crossing rough terrain starting in 2002 or so, and almost everyone I hunt with uses very minimal shoes for all animals and hunts.

MJB

WKR
Hauling or climbing up hill, stiff boots. Stalking, street running shoes so I can feel what's under my feet.

JohnB

WKR
Has anyone wearing minimal footwear, barefeet style, Altras for toe splay, etc. had trouble with ski boots?

My ski boots are 10 years old now and have become unbearable. I'm curious if my foot has simply changed with time or if it's the transition in my footwear over the last ten years.

Now that I don't live in the mountains, I'm considering just snowboarding from now on. But curious if any of you toe splayers have found ski boots that work.

I'm not sure where you are but I'd highly recommend finding a competent ski shop. They should be able to use heat to punch out your current boots to make them more comfy. Also it may be a good time to switch to a new boot which could still get punched out. I'd highly recommend trying some on and working with someone skilled to come up with a good fit.

TaperPin

WKR
The idea that marketing is responsible for heavy boots is ridiculous. Look at the careers that are entirely heavy lifting in steep terrain, like logging and firefighting - heavy boots have always been used. Ask a shot crew to give up their Nicks and Whites and watch what they say - we would have laughed at you until we snorted. Lol

Last edited:

Pdzoller

WKR
I’m not advocating for “stiff boots” in every situation. What I’m really trying to say is footwear is a tool. Use the right tool for the right job. If your boots or shoes make your feet hurt then they don’t fit.

@Formidilosus an argument could definitely be made that a boot could have cut down on most of the injuries and conditions I listed.
image.jpg

Yes I have more shoes than my wife 🤣

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
The idea that marketing is responsible for heavy boots is ridiculous. Look at the careers that are entirely heavy lifting in steep terrain, like logging and firefighting - heavy boots have always been used. Ask a shot crew to give up their Nicks and Whites and watch what they say - we would have laughed at you until we snorted. Lol

Not looking to argue your opinion on boots: to each their own, wear what you want. But at one time doctors would have laughed at the idea of washing their hands before surgery. Just pointing out that consensus doesn’t equal right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR

Yes. I used to wear skinny Scarpas when I wore dress shoes every day.

Covid happened and I wore sandals and Altras every day and my feet spread out. Went to HV Fischers and love them. Got to where I couldn’t wear the Scarpas for 20 minutes and they were once super comfy. I don’t even unbuckle the Fischers for lunch. That comfy.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't worn shoes in years. Like Fred Flintstone runnin round with bald feet.
Pretty sure Jesus didnt wear shoes either but I’m not 100% on that.

BBob

WKR
For guys using the lighter flexible footwear what models are you having luck with?
Vivo Magna’s and Gobi’s and Jim Green Barefoot for me. The Vivo Trackers are probably the most popular or the most talked about here. Gobi’s in the wild are pretty extreme, likely better off with the others mentioned ;)

Speaks

FNG
Short answer is yes we are doing it wrong, stiff soles, limited mobility, lots of drop etc all atrophy the musculature around the foot, weaken and stiffen connective tissue, etc

In day to day life I try to wear very minimalist footwear and even running shoes for hard surfaces while padded I really try and avoid drop (mainly using alta). If on steep rugged terrain and especially with a heavy pack there is a place for more supportive boots and I love my Crispi's for that, but 95% of the time I keep my feet and ankles as natural and mobile as I can.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What lightweight boot or shoe do you recommend for a fall, late October rifle elk hunt?

There are a couple. For info about how and why minimalist shoes, see-

Ya know @Formidilosus may have a point. My wife and I have been married over 33 years. In that time frame, I have only seen her wear a pair of shoes (sneakers) once. The rest of the time she has been in flip flops, nice ones, but still flip flops. We just came back from vacation, in Colorado where we stayed for 7 days, the rest was driving across country. We hiked a couple of "easy" really "easy" trails there and else where along the way. I had on Keens that I work in, and she wore her flip flops, my feet were sore every day, hers, didnt even blink. She is 54 and Im 57, we both weigh now more than we should but in our lifetime together she has never had feet problems, but I have, along with joint, ankle, and knee issues, and I am always looking for the best insert or supportive boot for work. I always thought it was just lucky for her, but after seeing how people from other countries wear next to nothing, I think now my wife had the right idea all along, but dont tell her I said it.

Gotcha_

FNG
I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis after an attempt at going to the typical stiff shanked “hunting boot.” Ill leave out the brand as that is not the point.

In this journey, I have been learning a lot about feet. Exo recently had a great podcast on this subject and basically pointed out that the hunting boot industry is very much marketing and those heavy, stiff boots are actually terrible for our feet. This resonates with me as they did jack my feet up.

Anyway, for thousands of years, people walked around without fancy expensive boots. Our modern society in general has unhealthy feet with lots of pain. I’m leaning more and more toward going to zero drop minimalist type shoes and boots.

Allow our feet to function the way God made them. I don’t think we can really improve on his design.

Any other thoughts or insights into this? Are we as a culture (including the hunting world) totally doing footwear wrong?
I got new boots this year, rhymes with whinnytrek.... anyway, having big bad problems with my feet. trying to figure out what to do. I feel like I sepnt a fortune on them but my old Solomon hiking boots that are crazy flexible can take 10 miles a day no prob...(except now they leak after 7 years)... Trying to figure out what to do. Thank you for posting this, definitely brought attention to me.

The level of understanding of foot and joint bio- mechanics some have is jaw-dropping, most of it obtained "one time at band camp years ago..."

😈

I say wear whatever feels best to you and your feet. But, after giving the barefoot style boots and shoes a chance. My feet have never been happier. They hurt if I throw on an old pair of traditional boots. Run, bike, hike in very thin shoes and love it.