Minimalist shoe/boot - transition process

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
There have been a few threads that cover gear, but can anyone share anything they feel is important about their transition process? How long, what you did, when you experienced changes, etc.?

I've just purchased my first Vivo minimalist shoes - Tracker Forest ESC and Primus Trail II FG. I've worn the ESCs out and about, but not yet in the woods. I started to think/wonder (danger!) if I'm better to be barefoot in the house, vs wearing either of the pairs I have. Then walking through the airport, I noticed I was still striking my heel but I also realized I don't know if that changes, if so whether it takes time, if or when I will notice a change, etc.

TIA

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I do not find heel striking with walking to be an issue, with running the impact forces are much higher. However, with both walking and running, the key is shorter stride length to avoid heel striking.

If you start having aches or pains, you might should alternate minimalist and normal shoes for a bit. I have heard of this, but never talked to anyone who needed to do it.

Barefoot will be better than a minimalist shoe, so just socks at home would be my recommendation.

As a disclaimer, I'm not a hard core minimalist footwear person, I mix them in but do not always use them. Primarily because I have not always found minimalist shoes I want to wear.

I consider my work boots minimalist, they are not quite zero drop, but they have no built in support or padding for the foot. I think a hard core minimalist would tell me I'm wrong.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I do not find heel striking with walking to be an issue, with running the impact forces are much higher. However, with both walking and running, the key is shorter stride length to avoid heel striking.

If you start having aches or pains, you might should alternate minimalist and normal shoes for a bit. I have heard of this, but never talked to anyone who needed to do it.

Barefoot will be better than a minimalist shoe, so just socks at home would be my recommendation.

As a disclaimer, I'm not a hard core minimalist footwear person, I mix them in but do not always use them. Primarily because I have not always found minimalist shoes I want to wear.

I consider my work boots minimalist, they are not quite zero drop, but they have no built in support or padding for the foot. I think a hard core minimalist would tell me I'm wrong.

I’m with you on that. I know there is a lot of benefits to using minimal shoes to build strength in the feet but I’m not a die hard and I’m certainly not 100% minimalist. I’ve do notice benefits of wearing my bearfoot shoes at work m-f but I don’t do much outside of that. My kettlebell workouts are done barefoot as well but when I’m out hunting and hiking, I just wear regular boots.

safeskies

FNG
I adapted to minimalist shoes for running, which took some time to build up the endurance using the slightly different stride and muscle groups. Basic hiking I'm fine with a minimalist shoe/boot, but if I'm wearing a heavy pack I revert back to a normal boot with small inserts. That seems to work best when a slow hikeout with a heavy pack is in the forecast.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This is part of what I've been wondering. Do I just wear the shoes and things will work out, or do I need to (or can I help the process by) taking affirmative steps, like shortening my stride? I just spent some time on the treadmill and shortened my stride to reduce heel strikes. Wow - that's a big difference! Not pain or anything, but I'm used to being able to walk a certain speed, in part due to my long stride, and shortening it put me at the back of the treadmill more than I was used to.

Thanks. I figured at home no shoes (which has been much of my life since Covid started, due to working from home) made sense. My transition so far has been brief, but without any pain. I will be forced to alternate with normal shoes, as unfortunately I'm in a line of work that most minimalist shoes would not "fit in" but I spend much less time in the office than before, and I'm looking into some options that look more like "business" shoes.

amassi

WKR
This is part of what I've been wondering. Do I just wear the shoes and things will work out, or do I need to (or can I help the process by) taking affirmative steps, like shortening my stride? I just spent some time on the treadmill and shortened my stride to reduce heel strikes. Wow - that's a big difference! Not pain or anything, but I'm used to being able to walk a certain speed, in part due to my long stride, and shortening it put me at the back of the treadmill more than I was used to.

Thanks. I figured at home no shoes (which has been much of my life since Covid started, due to working from home) made sense. My transition so far has been brief, but without any pain. I will be forced to alternate with normal shoes, as unfortunately I'm in a line of work that most minimalist shoes would not "fit in" but I spend much less time in the office than before, and I'm looking into some options that look more like "business" shoes.
I wear vivo treckers to work 90% of the time now, changed the laces out to brown. Coat of waterproofing and the fit right in. For days where I absolutely need a dress shoe, I have some zero drop wide dress shoes. I think the brand is birch? They're a nice shoe when a shoe is required

To help with the new stride try pulling your foot up with your glutes/ hamstring instead of pulling it with your hip flexor. Some videos on pose running method might make better sense

K_Wells

FNG
I like the look of the Lems 9-5 for zero drop, foot shaped dress shoes. I wear their waterproof boulder boot too work most days and it’s been ok so far. I had to stretch the backs of my legs out each morning once I started wearing zero drop shoes but after a while I was fine. I’m on my feet all but 50ish minutes a day and my feet have felt better this year than ever before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Today I had my first pain (shin splints) that I associate with the transition. I was only walking, but I was with my wife and she set a pace I should not have maintained. The pain ended when I stopped. So far. Just figure this is part of the process and doing less is the fix.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Today I had my first pain (shin splints) that I associate with the transition. I was only walking, but I was with my wife and she set a pace I should not have maintained. The pain ended when I stopped. So far. Just figure this is part of the process and doing less is the fix.
Depends, if it is muscle pain from your shins not being use to it (what it sounds like) doing it periodically will help strengthen them.

If it is tendon pain (unlikely as this usually takes time to develop and usually continues for a bit after you stop), then slowly down is probably need.

Also, where on your shin? Back of the shin is likely muscle. Front, outside of shin on the upper half is likely muscle. Front of the shin on the lower half is usually tendon.

Muscle recovers fast, think of recovery time like that between workouts (24 to 72 hours). Tendon heals slowly, think in terms of days to weeks. Active recovery stoll applies to tendons though.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Depends, if it is muscle pain from your shins not being use to it (what it sounds like) doing it periodically will help strengthen them.

If it is tendon pain (unlikely as this usually takes time to develop and usually continues for a bit after you stop), then slowly down is probably need.

Also, where on your shin? Back of the shin is likely muscle. Front, outside of shin on the upper half is likely muscle. Front of the shin on the lower half is usually tendon.

Muscle recovers fast, think of recovery time like that between workouts (24 to 72 hours). Tendon heals slowly, think in terms of days to weeks. Active recovery stoll applies to tendons though.
It could be a variety of things, including my first exercise in the Primus Trail II shoes. Prior walking around (town, airports, etc.) have been in the Trackers. The pain was front outside upper half. All good now!

I ran into several false starts trying to transition to zero drop running shoes over several years that each ended in injury. What ultimately worked (and has worked great for 10 years and counting) is rebuilding my body with Mark Rippetoe’s starting strength program. I developed the strength and flexibility to squat like any two year old and have since worn zero drop minimalist shoes for daily living, hiking, hunting, 2 marathons and a trail 50 miler. Having the muscle balance and strength to squat to full depth (weighted or not) translates to a healthy body.

If your quads are burning as you hike up hill you’re totally unbalanced. Your glutes should be doing the work. If you can’t squat to full depth barefoot without falling backwards do this several times a day: grab ahold of something solid in front of you, lower yourself till you bottom out, then stand up using your glutes with weight evenly balanced between the balls of your feet and heels. Eventually you’ll be able to do this without holding on to anything. You should feel a stretch just below your glutes and below your calves. These muscles have shrunk and atrophied from a lifestyle of sitting in chairs and wearing elevated heel shoes.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I ran into several false starts trying to transition to zero drop running shoes over several years that each ended in injury. What ultimately worked (and has worked great for 10 years and counting) is rebuilding my body with Mark Rippetoe’s starting strength program. I developed the strength and flexibility to squat like any two year old and have since worn zero drop minimalist shoes for daily living, hiking, hunting, 2 marathons and a trail 50 miler. Having the muscle balance and strength to squat to full depth (weighted or not) translates to a healthy body.

If your quads are burning as you hike up hill you’re totally unbalanced. Your glutes should be doing the work. If you can’t squat to full depth barefoot without falling backwards do this several times a day: grab ahold of something solid in front of you, lower yourself till you bottom out, then stand up using your glutes with weight evenly balanced between the balls of your feet and heels. Eventually you’ll be able to do this without holding on to anything. You should feel a stretch just below your glutes and below your calves. These muscles have shrunk and atrophied from a lifestyle of sitting in chairs and wearing elevated heel shoes.
Don't forget to tell people to turn their toes and knees out and not let their knees turn inward. Many of us where taught the toes straight ahead, don't break 90 degree bull crap.

I have been wearing minimalist shoes for a few years now, I wear them for daily use and mostly to work out. Like others have stated, with a pack or just being out in the woods, I am back in a boot. Over the last year I have started to take my squatting and mobility more serious than just working out. Like stated above, doing several full range of movement squats throughout the day has seemed to help me the most. If I am at home, I like to work out in barefeet as well.

Wow great info. I have minimalist shoes that I wear from time to time with not ill effects. But I do have a desk job so I think I can definitely work on becoming more balanced.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Update - FWIW.

I've been wearing my Vivo Tracker Forest ESCs as much as possible without any more pain. I think the shorter stride did the trick, and like others have said, by not striking the heel the "normal way" - I don't have to tighten my laces at all.

I'm currently trying to find a low-cut casual (not gym) shoe that isn't ugly AF and doesn't scream "I hike!" for casual situations. I've gotten over Mrs. Fwafwow complaining about the ESCs, but eventually I will be in shorts and if I wear boots and shorts.... I know that I am going to be in the ugly shoe camp with minimalist shoes, I am just trying to minimize that factor. So many of the boots that look decent (Lems Boulder Summit, Chelsea, Boulder, or Vivo Tracker) would be great if in a low-cut (and for the Trackers, without the aggressive sole).

I've given up on finding minimalist dress shoes. The Carets are very close, but having black rubber soles doesn't equate to a work/suit dress shoe - for me.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Update - FWIW.

I've been wearing my Vivo Tracker Forest ESCs as much as possible without any more pain. I think the shorter stride did the trick, and like others have said, by not striking the heel the "normal way" - I don't have to tighten my laces at all.

I'm currently trying to find a low-cut casual (not gym) shoe that isn't ugly AF and doesn't scream "I hike!" for casual situations. I've gotten over Mrs. Fwafwow complaining about the ESCs, but eventually I will be in shorts and if I wear boots and shorts.... I know that I am going to be in the ugly shoe camp with minimalist shoes, I am just trying to minimize that factor. So many of the boots that look decent (Lems Boulder Summit, Chelsea, Boulder, or Vivo Tracker) would be great if in a low-cut (and for the Trackers, without the aggressive sole).

I've given up on finding minimalist dress shoes. The Carets are very close, but having black rubber soles doesn't equate to a work/suit dress shoe - for me.
If you have a cobbler in your area, you could have the heal removed on a pair of dress shoes. This should be pretty easy on shoes with leather soles.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If you have a cobbler in your area, you could have the heal removed on a pair of dress shoes. This should be pretty easy on shoes with leather soles.
I thought of that, but the width of my existing shoes would still be an issue, and I would need to consider how a heel-less “normal” shoe would look. The Carets have a “fake” heal, so I thought of buying them and having a cobbler add a leather half sole.

sneek-ee

WKR
Update - FWIW.

Here's your zero drop comfy dress shoes.

As far as shorts/casual, what are you looking for?
Lots of zero drop tennis shoe styles out there that look 100% normal for everyday casual wear.