Paradox: Minimalist Winter Boots + brief reviews

kyleds8

FNG
Hello,

I've recently gotten into minimalist (zero-drop, wide toe box) shoes, and I really dig the way I'm walking and striking the ground. This summer I tested out Belleville's Mini-mil's and VitaBarefoot's Tracker boots.

The Mini-mil's are super light, comfortable, and great for hot-weather, however the tread is not aggressive, they suck water like a camel in the desert, and I struggle to get them properly tight, foot sliding on steep descents.

The Barefoot Trackers barely feel like a boot, as comfortable and lightweight as a workout shoe. Super flexible, nice wide toe box, stay tight on my feet. My insoles quickly delaminated, so I have been wearing them without, and the ground feel is insane, too much for me with long days in the mountains on scree and talus really wearing on my feet. Great for silent stalking. The tread is not as aggressive as I am used to on my heavy mountain boots, but so far without snow has been fine. Although they are advertised as waterproof, the trackers are at best water resistant. The major downside to these boots is that they are breaking down very quickly, the soft leather is scuffing badly, and the rand breaking from the leather. I think that these boots are made for casual hikers, and cannot deal with hard backcountry use.

Neither of these boots will do when the snow starts falling this deer season, let alone for my late cow tag and lion hunting in deep snow. If anyone has ideas for zero-drop, minimalist type winter boots, capable of both deep snow, and a fair bit of hiking, I would greatly appreciate suggestions. I have looked at mukluks a little, but they seem like more of a flatland boot...

many thanks,

Kyle

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve been wearing zero drop minimalist footwear for almost ten years now, and it’s been the best thing in the world as far as thwarting pain and problems with my feet,back, etc.
That being said, the hardest thing is finding footwear that fit the bill in really cold weather. I have tried different things and what I’m using right now is a pair of military boots I picked up 5-6 years ago or so. They are Rocky SV2 insulated, the made in the USA ones. They are zero drop but they are heavy and not really minimalist. This year I have been hunting in Lem’s full leather boots. So far they have been pretty good, but I haven’t tried them yet in cold weather. They might work with gaiters down into the 20’s or so with good merino socks.
The Rockys however are bomb proof and I’ve worn them in deep snow and zero degree weather all day and been comfortable. One thing I would like to try is a good pair of mukluks. I haven’t gone that route yet because the Rockys work. But if I had to do it again, I probably would have tried mukluks first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
I’ve been wearing zero drop minimalist footwear for almost ten years now, and it’s been the best thing in the world as far as thwarting pain and problems with my feet,back, etc.
That being said, the hardest thing is finding footwear that fit the bill in really cold weather. I have tried different things and what I’m using right now is a pair of military boots I picked up 5-6 years ago or so. They are Rocky SV2 insulated, the made in the USA ones. They are zero drop but they are heavy and not really minimalist. This year I have been hunting in Lem’s full leather boots. So far they have been pretty good, but I haven’t tried them yet in cold weather. They might work with gaiters down into the 20’s or so with good merino socks.
The Rockys however are bomb proof and I’ve worn them in deep snow and zero degree weather all day and been comfortable. One thing I would like to try is a good pair of mukluks. I haven’t gone that route yet because the Rockys work. But if I had to do it again, I probably would have tried mukluks first.

I thought about those Lems, significantly cheaper than the barefoot trackers, but the tread didn’t look up to steep terrain, how have they been?

This will be my first winter in zero-drop, not sure about how gaiters will work with no heel for bottom strap to catch on...

these rockys? -

Titan_Bow

WKR
I thought about those Lems, significantly cheaper than the barefoot trackers, but the tread didn’t look up to steep terrain, how have they been?

This will be my first winter in zero-drop, not sure about how gaiters will work with no heel for bottom strap to catch on...

these rockys? -

There’s not much tread on the Lems, but they are not too bad. I’ve been elk hunting in them this year in some pretty gnarly stuff. The soles are a little “gummy” so they stick pretty good to rock. Steep and wet or steep and sandy, they don’t do well though. They have so much ground feel that you slow down a bit and really are more deliberate with your steps, which I really like about them.
Yep those are the Rockys I have. They are not a minimalist boot but they are zero drop (or close to it). They are comfortable, warm, and keep your feet dry all day however

OP
K

kyleds8

FNG
Interesting. Agreed, improved ground feel slowing down is great. I find myself more thoughtful of sign and terrain. There's a happy medium I think, and rockhopping in the barefoot trackers with no insoles pushed me way over...

looks like it might be the mukluks this winter :)

Been down the minimalist route for about 6 years now. Have you looked at the Xero Excursion boot? Its waterproof, got a pretty grippy sole, and light weight. Not insulated. I've been wearing the Altra Lone Peak 4 mid, Lem Boulder Boot, Vibram 5 fingers as well. The Lems are comfortable but have minimal tread/grip. For everyday wear they are my go to. I have a leather water proof pair as well as a few pairs of the canvas type. Altras are light, have good tread, a thicker sole like the Lems but are not waterproof. The Xero's have a thinner sole and provide more ground feel but not overly harsh. I used both the Altra and Xero's this year on a Colorado muzzleloader elk hunt with no issues. Although the Altras didn't feel as supportive while side hilling on steeper slopes. Xero also has a "winter" boot that I haven't yet tried yet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Neither of these boots will do when the snow starts falling this deer season, let alone for my late cow tag and lion hunting in deep snow. If anyone has ideas for zero-drop, minimalist type winter boots, capable of both deep snow, and a fair bit of hiking, I would greatly appreciate suggestions. I have looked at mukluks a little, but they seem like more of a flatland boot...

many thanks,

Kyle

I’ve used all the shoes mentioned, as well as a bunch more. Have you tried the newer Vivo Barefoot Tracker Forest ESC? I have been wearing them for the last few months. They have excellent tread, they breath as only a leather shoes can, and they are the first shoes I’ve had in a long time that haven’t leaked. I haven’t went through tons of water, but stream crossings and 18+ inch snow hasn’t been an issue.
F44A310E-2771-4FEC-AFF1-90C39FCBE1AC.jpeg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have been looking at those. Was sizing atypical for you? Using their online picture app they're recommending a size smaller than I ever wear.

I used the same size as my tennis shoes.

Reactions: Stu

I do zero drop but not in the mountains...but if I were to try then I might go with Freet boots.

Dobermann

WKR
I have been looking at those. Was sizing atypical for you? Using their online picture app they're recommending a size smaller than I ever wear.

I've also been rocking the Vivo Barefoot Tracker ESC, based on Form's recommendation here on the Slide - haven't tested them as much as Form, but have done some short hikes and they've been great.

Vivo also have a sizing guide which you print out, and then map *both* of your feet - there's then instructions for how much extra space to add, which takes you to a line that shows exactly what size should fit you ... rather than guessing based off the size of other shoes (and manufacturers seem to use different standards for this), you get exactly what Vivo say your size should be - in their sizing.

Both my partner and I recently used it - our two key lessons were: first, it worked perfectly for both of us (and we have weirdly proportioned feet), and two, we both had feet of quite different lengths - had we only measured one foot on their tool, or gone by what a shoe salesperson in store quoted as a size from a Brannock device, but only based off one foot, then we would have purchased the wrong size.

Hope that helps!

ODB

WKR
Might be a naive question…but why is zero drop or wide considered “minimalist?”

I just learned about zero drop from another thread - I got some Altra shoes because of the wide footbed because I have 4E feet and they are great. Turns out they are zero drop - something I had never heard of until two days ago.

isn’t a proper fit just proper fit?

help a brother out…

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I just learned about zero drop from another thread - I got some Altra shoes because of the wide footbed because I have 4E feet and they are great. Turns out they are zero drop - something I had never heard of until two days ago.

help a brother out…

Do you understand the major difference in body mechanics and movement between “minimal” shoes and “supportive” shoes?

Titan_Bow

WKR

help a brother out…

The main difference is that “minimalist” refers to something that provides minimal support, the idea being it allows for your natural body mechanics to work. Shoes like Vibram Five Fingers, Xero shoes, Vivo Barefoot. A lot of them are not much more than a protective pair of socks, which again does not interfere with your bodies natural way of functioning.
Zero drop can be minimalist, but they are not always. Zero drop simply means there is no “wedge” or height difference between your toe and heel. Most every shoe out there, even if it does not have a visible external heel, has some differential between the heel and toe. The main idea is to create a wedge of foam cushion underneath your heel. The problem though, is if you are used to barefoot style and minimalist shoes, your bodies natural mechanics are to use the front of your feet as a shock absorber, not to use your heel. Once you put a cushioned heel shoe on, it forces you to heel strike which ultimately isn’t a natural thing for humans. So zero drop shoes can still be regular shoes, I have a pair of Rocky boots that are zero drop, but they have a shank, weigh a lot, and are basically normal boots, just happen to be zero drop. Altra Lone Peaks are the same. They have a thick cushioned in sole, and offer some level of protection and reinforcement compared to a minimalist shoe.

sargent

WKR
I am looking for a the same thing. I bought a pair of Altra Lone Peak All Weathers. They are water resistant at best as well. If you are looking for something to keep your feet dry in deep snow, look elsewhere.

help a brother out…
The only stupid questions are the ones we don't ask.

Broad overview:
Barefoot shoes or minimal shoes are both fairly undefined terms, but what it's meant by them is this; shoes that aid in the natural function of the foot, ankle, leg, body mobility.

Once you restrict the bodies natural function, you weaken it.

The toes are naturally meant to be the widest point of the foot, especially when the foot is flexed/under stress.
Are shoes shaped like that?
Meaning popular shoes are in effect crushing the feet, hence why most people in the first world have pointed feet.
Feet shaped like shoes, instead of shoes shaped like feet.

I got into minimal footwear due to relentless injuries which is probably common for most people.
Like you I have quite wide feet and also quite large 13UK or 14US.

Most people, infact every single person whose told me their story of switching to minimal footwear who then says it caused them injuries it take me about five minutes to work out why and how they got their injuries and how to not get those going forward.
Often their version of minimal footwear is to blame, (as a popular example Salomon do not make any natural/minimal shoe or boot) but sometimes other things like not understanding natural body mechanics and the effects different styles of footwear can have on body mechanics.

With your Altras, because the sole is so thick you can treat them like any normal shoe, and likely notice no difference except maybe more comfortable toes.

If you want a to try another shoe the Merrell trail glove is a great option. With that its wide, looks normal, no structure in the shoe to cause issues and a grip level suitable for mixed terrain. Difference being though that the sole is quite thin, so you may find you want to make adjustments to your stride.

They're great for stalking to.

I've been wearing all types of minimal footwear for fifteen years.
Terriaplana, was rebranded to vivobarefoot.
I stopped wearing vivos six or seven years ago but ultimately I've come back to them.
They are overpriced, and not robustly enough made, (for hard outdoor use) however they are often one of the best options and for boots are the absolute best option.

The only other brand I haven't tried that I want to is Lems, and their leather boot.
Much like the vivibarefoot tracker boot though they are lifestyle boots.

The newer Vivo boots offered as mentioned above are vivos effort at bridging that gap.

Also using real leather polish rather than the stupid sprays increases not just the leathers ability to remain water proof but also increases durability.

Freets were also mentioned earlier. Having met the owners of the company, a retired couple who love the outdoors I can tell you they are good people.
If looking for an option to try minimalist footwear and boots that is 100% the company to start with.
Foot size can change if wearing minimalist footwear for all your shoes, and it can happen within 6 - 24 months.
I went from a size 12 to a size 14.

ElPollo

WKR
I actually came to this thread for my wife who has been looking for zero drop hiking boots. The whole minimalist thing does not work so hot in angry Texas mesquite country or the Sonoran desert with jumping cholla. Where she works everything is covered in 2-3” spines or hot black rock. Even the Altras and the other non-minimalist options available do not provide sufficient foot protection to keep the spines from going through the sole. Anyone have thoughts on this? Seems there is a at least a small market out there for tougher, zero-drop, non-minimalist hiking boots. Any desert folks out there that have experience with this?

ledflight

WKR
@ElPollo I have looked for that myself. I have a pair of Otz boots - foot shaped, zero drop, but not as minimal as Lems for example. However Otz is defunct as a company. I just found some on poshmark and ebay recently so maybe check those places.
One of my pairs of Altra came with a stone guard insole add - a flat thin flexible layer that might help stop sharps from getting through. Maybe there's more like options this out there.