Bone broth?

16Bore

WKR
Any of you felllas drinking this stuff? My buddy drinks it religiously. 10g protein per cup.

K

Kootenay Hunter

It's not miracle juice, but it's healthy

You get a lot of nutrients you many not get out of a regular diet, including collagen and all the goodness in the marrow, it's good for the gut too.

...in reference to the stuff you make yourself with all sorts of 'useless' bits....dunno about the powdered stuff...I prefer to stay away from processed stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Banned
OP
16Bore

16Bore

WKR
This stuff ain’t cheap by a long shot. Might be good to add to ramen noodles.😝

K

Kootenay Hunter

Get some bones from our local butcher, other odds and ends make a the broth better such as chicken and pigs feed for the cartilage that provide collagen. You can make liters for cheap and freeze for cooking or just drinking.

We use an instant pot to speed things up,but still takes 24 hrs. Can make amazing broths for Ramen, etc. roast/smoke bones first for extra flavour...

After I butcher, I bust up bones with a hammer and chuck them in a big pot. Legs, shoulder blades, etc. anything but spine these days. I have smoked and roasted them and it adds to flavor but it isn’t essential. I add some chunked veggies - onions, carrots, garlic - and some salt. Cook it low and slow for 6-8 hours and then strain out the chunks. I freeze in mason jars and use as stock or broth for soups or just drinking.

DWinVA

WKR
I make it with my deer and wild turkey bones. I freeze it in 2"x 2" cubes to use in cooking, drinking and smoothies. Good stuff.

God Bless.

jfs82

WKR
I make it with my deer and wild turkey bones. I freeze it in 2"x 2" cubes to use in cooking, drinking and smoothies. Good stuff.

God Bless.
Same, I cook it down til its reduced to unpalatable strength, then freeze it into cubes. Bunch of roasted bones, some herbs and veggies, splash of wine (Most commercial ones use vinegar to help break stuff down in the bones but wine tastes better)

OP
16Bore

16Bore

WKR
Well damn, “bone broth” ain’t nothing but a flat brim hipster term for stock. I should have my chef card revoked and turn in my Globals. I’m the king of stock, there is non higher, sucker MC’s should call me sire...

Fook me....

OP
16Bore

16Bore

WKR
Can I save myself by saying that what’s “left” of one of those grocery store roasted chickens makes one hell of a stock.

I'm with you... it's just broth.

I mean it's delicious but it's still just broth.

Yes and no..... This is just relaying her justifications to me so take it for what its worth. It differs from standard broth because of cook time. You can boil stock down to broth in a short amount of time but to make true, healthy bone broth (whereas you reap some health benefits) the bones have to cook low and slow for much longer. I know she's got a set of bones in a slowcooker full of water for 24-36 hours. Evidentally the difference is when doing it quick, the nutrients aren't pulled out of the bones like they are when cooked over time. She also turns her nose up at any of the commercial, store sold stuff..... Apparently it's not made with the same care or quality as when you make it yourself and are able to cook it longer (according to her).

again, I haven't taken the time or interest to look into the science. This is just regurgitated from her talking about it. I just have to run bones through a saw to get them to manageable size and end up using a fair amount of stock for soup so it's a win-win in my house.

It's not miracle juice, but it's healthy

You get a lot of nutrients you many not get out of a regular diet, including collagen and all the goodness in the marrow, it's good for the gut too.

...in reference to the stuff you make yourself with all sorts of 'useless' bits....dunno about the powdered stuff...I prefer to stay away from processed stuff.

Pretty much my wife's thoughts verbatim. She's much smarter than I......

jspradley

WKR
Yes and no..... This is just relaying her justifications to me so take it for what its worth. It differs from standard broth because of cook time. You can boil stock down to broth in a short amount of time but to make true, healthy bone broth (whereas you reap some health benefits) the bones have to cook low and slow for much longer. I know she's got a set of bones in a slowcooker full of water for 24-36 hours. Evidentally the difference is when doing it quick, the nutrients aren't pulled out of the bones like they are when cooked over time. She also turns her nose up at any of the commercial, store sold stuff..... Apparently it's not made with the same care or quality as when you make it yourself and are able to cook it longer (according to her).

again, I haven't taken the time or interest to look into the science. This is just regurgitated from her talking about it. I just have to run bones through a saw to get them to manageable size and end up using a fair amount of stock for soup so it's a win-win in my house.

I read some interesting articles about this, and the extra cook time doesnt really pull nutrients out of the bone as much as proponents would like to believe, even when acid is used.

Home made broth is still super healthy stuff, lots of collagen and all that other good stuff and way better tasting than the store bought stuff.

OP
16Bore

16Bore

WKR
Stock has to sit for quite awhile to be right. Don’t boil it or you get cloudy foam. Slow, like maybe a bubble on occasion.

When I make it out of the roasted chicken I save any meat that comes off, then make rice with the stock instead of water. Add the meat when it’s done. Even better is you start a base with onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil, then “toast” the rice a bit before adding the all elusive “bone broth”........ha!

I’ve been known to eat it for dinner for a week.

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
Heck with broth.....I follow my mother's family recipe handed down for Ox tail vegetable soup with egg noodles, how a long narrow piece of cartilage can taste so darn good and make everything else come together.....

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
It's the collagen that you need from the bone broth. For the most part humans tend to eat the muscle meat nowadays and not organ meat so much. So it's good to try to get some stuff you don't get from just the regular cuts. Plus, of course, if you make your own bone broth you know what's in it.

Sister has breast cancer and they have a Cook book that specifically
asks for Miracle Bone broth from both Beef and Chicken.All kinds of
vegetables including beets and seaweed.Broth must be simmered for
extended periods of time before all ingredients tossed and broth reduced. 🔥