Blue Loctite Alternative??

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
So the consensus is that people can’t follow directions so instead of using thread locker from nasa’s tool box we will use nail polish from Ru Paul’s makeup drawer because it’s more reliable.
What directions do I need to follow?

All ears.

Reactions: NSI
So the consensus is that people can’t follow directions so instead of using thread locker from nasa’s tool box we will use nail polish from Ru Paul’s makeup drawer because it’s more reliable.
I laughed way too hard at this. I’m glad I wasn’t taking a drink of my beer when I read it!

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
Serious question.

Are female threads in actions, rings, bases etc. Designed and machined to a spec that is airtight with the screws?

Same question about helicopters and such? These have to be to spec right?

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I’m assuming the paint pens people are using are oil based is that accurate?

Kurts86

WKR

All ears.
If you have a singe failure its probably worth the $7 to get a different tube. It’s possible it was compromised or. Expired before you even got it. Loctite explains on their website how to read the date code and location of manufacture on their website.

Other than that use the smallest amount possible.

All ears.
See my post about using too much. How much thread locker did you apply?

For comparison When I install anything with small fasteners I put a drop of thread locker on the tip Of a screw driver or table and roll the threads over the edge of the drop of threadlocker. I then take the next screw and roll the threads together with the first screw to not only apply to the next screw but to get some of the excess off the first and I never have had an issue. With small screws it’s really easy to add too much and it will not dry properly.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
If you have a singe failure its probably worth the $7 to get a different tube. It’s possible it was compromised or. Expired before you even got it. Loctite explains on their website how to read the date code and location of manufacture on their website.

Other than that use the smallest amount possible.
It was multiple failures for multiple users from the same new tube over a several day period with proper prep and torque assembly.

FWIW, after the failures, the fasteners were degreased and dried and made ready for locker and torque.

Used this on the second application

IMG_0005.jpeg
It’s available in the welding section of your local purveyor.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
See my post about using too much. How much thread locker did you apply?

For comparison When I install anything with small fasteners I put a drop of thread locker on the tip Of a screw driver or table and roll the threads over the edge of the drop of threadlocker. I then take the next screw and roll the threads together with the first screw to not only apply to the next screw but to get some of the excess off the first and I never have had an issue. With small screws it’s really easy to add too much and it will not dry properly.
I certainly could have applied too much.

Kurts86

WKR
Serious question.

Are female threads in actions, rings, bases etc. Designed and machined to a spec that is airtight with the screws?

Same question about helicopters and such? These have to be to spec right?
Yes there are standard designations Class 1, 2 & 3 thread tolerances. Class 2 is standard and class 3 is tighter toleranced. Once you get into the fits you have an H# to describe how tight the fit is between both threads.

I’d have to read and add all the tolerances for given thread size and class but I can’t imagine both class 2 threads would create a gap that wouldn’t cure anerobic thread locker. That said screws are always a purchase part that often goes to the cheapest bidder and rarely sees QC.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Yes you’ve entered the twilight zone where instead of theorizing, people are using and shooting rifles in enough volume to find flaws or breakdowns in what is “known”.

Telling that you still haven’t quoted exactly what I have written that is incorrect, nor have you stated how much you shoot to “know” that what is being written is incorrect- but, you do have time to make memes.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I too have had failures…multiple in fact. This specific new tube on multiple applications after full degrease with acetone.

Fasteners loosened. The solution was still ‘wet’ and had not cured.

Multiple failures within the last 30 days.

View attachment 733424View attachment 733423
Permatex isn't a favorite of mine. It sucks compared to the Loctite counterparts in my experience

I certainly could have applied too much.
It’s really easy to do and tbh I was skeptical until I seen it myself (not with scopes but in the workplace) you wouldn’t think too much of an adhesive would have the opposite effect.

At the same time if the paint pen works for you use what works at the end of the day that’s what’s important.

Kurts86

WKR
It was multiple failures for multiple users from the same new tube over a several day period with proper prep and torque assembly.

FWIW, after the failures, the fasteners were degreased and dried and made ready for locker and torque.

Used this on the second application

View attachment 733441
It’s available in the welding section of your local purveyor.
So it was likely a bad batch of thread locker that multiple people used.

The solution was to then instead of getting a different batch, brand or similar thread locker was to use a completely different product not intended for the purpose. Was that because you couldn’t source another tube of thread locker? It just seems like a big jump to me as a remedial action.

BBob

WKR
Someone else mentioned loctite is not designed for threads under 6mm/1/4”
They recommend for under 6mm/1/4” to use 222. That is what I use for small fasteners. And yeah, all it takes is one small dot at the start of mby the first two threads. The pictures of drenched bolts using the wrong product might be a clue.

BBob

WKR
Maybe for the untrained the Ru Paul products just might be the better way to go ;)

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I simply want to prep, lock a torque and move on with more sh!t that matters.

Amazing that we allegedly landed a man on the moon 50’ish years ago but we can’t agree on how to securely lock down rifle fasteners.

BBob

WKR
Most Permatex products blow! Their silicone sealants also suck compared to the better brands out there. Years ago a manufacturer (Rockwell International) only allowed for two RTV brands to be used to retain warranty status, Dow Corning and GE. Permatex was specifically mentioned as a NO.

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
Yes there are standard designations Class 1, 2 & 3 thread tolerances. Class 2 is standard and class 3 is tighter toleranced. Once you get into the fits you have an H# to describe how tight the fit is between both threads.

I’d have to read and add all the tolerances for given thread size and class but I can’t imagine both class 2 threads would create a gap that wouldn’t cure anerobic thread locker. That said screws are always a purchase part that often goes to the cheapest bidder and rarely sees QC.
Thanks for the response! I did not know that.