BLM Solar Plan - April 18 comment deadline

Hey folks - the BLM Solar Plan is a West-wide programmatic Environmental assessment (Fancy word for a big project to identify suitable areas for something, in this case solar energy) that has potential to greenlight development of many areas throughout the West for industrial scale solar activities. The are seeking comments before April 18 on this plan, so it would be a good chance to tell them where these activities are NOT suitable. I think there is a good chance if a large number of folks emphasize that critical ranges for big game be kept off the table, that they actually will. Take a chance and weigh in!

Lots of resources and background info on a very similar thread here: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/mule-deer-migration-routes-with-trcp.352012/#post-3579420. This will link you to a good discussion @robby denning has with the good folks at TRCP, as well as some commenting pages and ways to make your voice heard. There are even sample letters you can copy/paste, borrow, plagiarize, or otherwise cannibalize to craft your comments.

OP
Bull_n_heat
Honest question because I'm ignorant about this subject. But can't we put panels all over our city center buildings? Tops of covered parking lots, etc. Serves dual purpose that way, shade and power harvesting as one example.
Agreed here. I think this is exactly where this type of energy development should be placed, but in many cases (without sounding too cynical) these are not prioritized because companies can't make a bunch of money off of these small installations. In many cases, state legislatures actually have tried to dis-incentivize "net-metering" of these small solar producers. I think instead, we should be telling our elected officials to promote this activity (and probably incentive or even (gasp!) subsidize them) because it produces more jobs per kilowatt (think of all the techs involved in small scale installations), promotes individual-based energy independence, and helps keep tracts of lands from being swallowed up by yet more human development. These decisions are usually decided at a local or state level, but not by BLM.

For this proposal in particular because of this, arguments about rooftop solar are probably not as effective (you are more than welcome to mention them though). What BLM is essentially doing is trying to identify where they can use ~20,000 acres in each state for industrial scale solar. They have basically already have decided that they want to do this and are trying to decide where they should. Our job is to tell them where they should NOT. Suggest they steer towards abandoned strip mines, reclaimed coal fields or degraded areas first- not valuable, intact, wildlife habitat! I don't like giving up any of the American estate to this stuff, but there are better places than others if we have too (same way I feel about mining, energy, etc.)

Easiest way to comment is to send them straight to [email protected]

Honest question because I'm ignorant about this subject. But can't we put panels all over our city center buildings? Tops of covered parking lots, etc. Serves dual purpose that way, shade and power harvesting as one example.
Exactly