BLM to open 22 mil acres in Western states to solar

This whole public land giveaway disgusts me. All these solar companies are being subsidized by our tax dollars. 100% of the panels are from China.

If you have OnX or another land view app, look at the images.
33.69932, -115.22241
View attachment 669202

33.82097, -115.38947
View attachment 669203

33.69887, -114.76187
View attachment 669206
In my comments about this, i mentioned specifically the privatization of public land by for profit companies who will likely maintain, patrol and install these solar panels.

Seeing this sh*t activates my “montana log cabin” mode….

Hnthrdr

WKR
In my comments about this, i mentioned specifically the privatization of public land by for profit companies who will likely maintain, patrol and install these solar panels.

Seeing this sh*t activates my “montana log cabin” mode….
Exactly! So if “we” collectively own the land, are companies going to be providing us with greatly discounted or free electricity? They are already subsidized like a mofo with our tax dollars and, then we are throwing them free land, likely nothing binding about clean up and we are losing land for essentially nothing? So giant corporations can make boat loads of money and enrich Chinese solar panel producers, this is all such a terrible idea

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Quick google search, there’s 15 million acres of BLM in California. Can we just have them carry 70ish percent of that load for their electric cars? Then the other 20ish percent can go in the area surrounding Portland and Seattle? I feel like that’s a fair compromise.

DuckDogDr

WKR
They are trying to get one of those abominations built here luckily the residents of my county are raising holy hell.
Our mayor and county planners made it very clear at our meetings … fuss all you want as long as the builders are paying them off they are going to push it through..

Had no less than 700 people show up at our meeting … even tried to require ecology study.
Bastards threw us out and passed it.

Lost all respect for politicians then and that was 20 years ago

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Our mayor and county planners made it very clear at our meetings … fuss all you want as long as the builders are paying them off they are going to push it through..

Had no less than 700 people show up at our meeting … even tried to require ecology study.
Bastards threw us out and passed it.

Lost all respect for politicians then and that was 20 years ago
Ya they thought it would sneak through. It would shut down some prime deer hunting ground as they want a three mile border of no hunting around it. Knowing the people who own land around it they have the money to fight it till the end

wyodan

WKR
Bumping this to remind people to submit public comments.
Where is the link to post comments at? I looked through several links in this thread, went to the BLM website, and could not find anything. Each dang ol' BLM page was full of their info, but nowhere to comment on this.

OP
GreenBoot

GreenBoot

FNG
Wed, Mar. 6: Virtual

For more details including specific time and venue information, please visit BLM’s ePlanning web site. Individuals who wish to attend one of the virtual public meetings, to be held via Zoom and scheduled for 11 a.m. MST on Monday, February 5 and Wednesday, March 6, can register online

Links:

Each variation/alternative also destroys farmland and agriculture land as well. They sad thing is that even if enough people comment/vote against it, it can be overruled by the government in favor of what they want to do.

Dude, this is what I absolutely do not understand. We have millions of acres of commercial and residential roofing across the country. Just incentivize homeowners more than they currently do. The grid infrastructure is right there already, in the cities.

As far as the farms go, I don't see this as anything different than what we use to do with oil and gas, it's just a different form of energy development and we need more electricity. Ultimately, when all factors are figured, it's prob not any better for the environment.
This is spot on. However what most people don’t do is think about it like this. Instead, they think it’s great because it’s green. However, I’m curious how cluttering 22 million acres with solar fields is considered green. Because when all things are in consideration, I’m pretty sure it’s a net negative for the environment.

Ole Land and the BHA boys worked right along with political and environmental wack jobs to give us all of this. Be sure to thank him for it.

lak2004

WKR
This is spot on. However what most people don’t do is think about it like this. Instead, they think it’s great because it’s green. However, I’m curious how cluttering 22 million acres with solar fields is considered green. Because when all things are in consideration, I’m pretty sure it’s a net negative for the environment.

Ole Land and the BHA boys worked right along with political and environmental wack jobs to give us all of this. Be sure to thank him for it.
I love the BHA bashing from an easterner on Western US topics. Why dont we keep the topic on point instead of bashing other sportsmen doing plenty of good work across the west? We all lose if we are more concerned about talking crap about other conservation organizations. BHA was a proponent of responsible renewable energy development, if we are going to be handed garbage policy from the government, might as well direct it to responsible placement since there is no stopping it.

The reason people don't care about placing solar on BLM lands is because they think it is all desolate desert. Same reason the horse lovers complain about removing feral horses from these lands. They can't see the harm thats been done because 99% have never visited these places. It's NIMBY'ism at its finest.

I love the BHA bashing from an easterner on Western US topics. Why dont we keep the topic on point instead of bashing other sportsmen doing plenty of good work across the west? We all lose if we are more concerned about talking crap about other conservation organizations. BHA was a proponent of responsible renewable energy development, if we are going to be handed garbage policy from the government, might as well direct it to responsible placement since there is no stopping it.

The reason people don't care about placing solar on BLM lands is because they think it is all desolate desert. Same reason the horse lovers complain about removing feral horses from these lands. They can't see the harm thats been done because 99% have never visited these places. It's NIMBY'ism at its finest.
I love seeing you western folks get all hot and bothered when Towney bends you over the stump. It’s comical to watch when hackles and tempers get flared because others aren’t willingly lining up to take it like the flat brimmed conservationists that call themselves BHA members.

17 square miles of solar panels IN THE DESERT to make less power than one of the reactors at the nuclear plant 10 miles down the road from my house.

lak2004

WKR
I love seeing you western folks get all hot and bothered when Towney bends you over the stump. It’s comical to watch when hackles and tempers get flared because others aren’t willingly lining up to take it like the flat brimmed conservationists that call themselves BHA members.
Just pointing out facts. I'm not mad at anything seems like you aren't well informed.