Blister Care

Jdog

WKR
Last year I wore some Kenetreks on an extended sheep hunt. Boots were wet the entire trip and stretched which resulted in many blisters.

I have moved back to Lowas--never had an issue with them but want to ensure I have necessary supplies to care for blisters if needed.

What are you guys using to keep moleskin attached?

Adhesives? Dermabond?

Stid2677

WKR
Yep,, loose the moleskin and try some Leukotape. That stuff stays on better than anything else. I use it as a preventative measure, I tape up my problem areas before I even start.

Wrench77

WKR
Yep,, loose the moleskin and try some Leukotape. That stuff stays on better than anything else. I use it as a preventative measure, I tape up my problem areas before I even start.

^This, I can usually wear the Leukotape for 2-3 days before it needs changing. I put it on my heels before every trip and haven't had a problem since using it.

mtbshark

WKR
Leukotape is heaven sent, I now put it on before I leave the truck and replenish as needed. Na a hotspot this last season. Awesome.
I am in same boat as Stid2677

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
thanks guys. Gonna give the Leukotape a try.

Where are you guys purchasing it from?

60x

WKR
I have found moleskin to not only be useless but in many cases I think it makes things worse. I like the tape and for full on blisters I like that clear skin looking bandaids( can't thing of the exact name at the minute). I've used that with great success. Prevention is the key though

I heard about Leukotape from a guy in my office that runs ultra marathons and got a roll from Amazon last year. Used it the same way everyone else mentioned. Getting a blister never even entered my mind. It's also pretty breathable, so leaving it on for an extended period is not a problem. I gave away my moleskin, that tape lives up to the hype.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I haven't had many issues with blisters since my basketball days, but I always have moleskin and duct tape with me regardless. I'm going to have to check out this leukotape stuff though. The best stuff I've used for after getting blisters is Tincture of Benzoine. Slice the blister open and pour it in.

ethan

WKR
Band-aid brand makes a bandage specifically for blisters that works great. As soon as you get a hot spot you just put one of these on and forget about it for a couple of days. Even stays on in the shower. They come in a silver box, I've had great luck with them. You can pick them up at Wally World, or "China-Mart" as I like to call it!

aron

WKR
Leukotape works great. I try to get it on before a blister forms. Stays on for a few days even when wet and works awesome. I just take some off the roll and wrap it around a pen to carry in the field. Can get it if Amazon.

Rolo

FNG
In case no one has mentioned it, Leukotape is the ticket. :D Stuff stays on and in place for a few days, and I don't notice it's there. I have taken to just putting it on at the beginning of a trip just as a preventative measure. Amazon.

Ray

WKR
http://www.zombierunner.com/
These folks offer a variety of foot care systems for distance running/hiking.

In addition to the awesomeness of LeukotapeP you can use Tincture of Benzoin to close wounds and adhear bandages.

JoshTX

WKR
Duct tape has work ok for me in the past

This is what I use too. I use a daub of neosporin, moleskin on top of that and a small wrap of duct tape to keep in place. Any blisters I get usually are gone within a day or so.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Good find here with Leukotape. I have goofy heels and pre taping Duct tape was my only savior. I am gonna try it.

Attachments

• 100_2552.jpg
    100_2552.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 69

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good advice above on using tape or other products to keep pressure off hotspots. Tincture of benzoin can help lots of products adhere better if you have trouble getting them to stick. I am blessed with feet that don't blister easily, and have figured out which footwear systems work well for me (although I had a bad experience with a set of ill fitting zamberlans once that still makes me cringe). I still carry a little moleskin in our first aid kit, but it's more for padding or cushioning purposes and I haven't honestly used any in years. Have also had good luck using plain old band aids if applied as soon as I notice discomfort....

Can't emphasize prevention enough...got to pay attention to your feet as soon as you start feeling hotspots, and work to address the situation before an actual blister develops. In 2012, Luke and I joined a friend who had drawn a coveted sheep tag on his dream hunt. He experienced exactly the same situation Jdog described, with kenetreks stretching on him after getting wet. Our buddy figured he would just "power through" the discomfort when he felt the hotspots developing on both feet on the 18 mile hike into sheep country. By the time we set up base camp, our buddy had the worst blisters I have ever seen on his heels, and behind the toenails on both big toes. He was literally incapacitated, and we spent five days scouting sheep (some of them legal) while our buddy sat at the tent unable to walk more than a few feet. After much begging on his part, I reluctantly lanced the blisters on his toes with a sterile havelon blade to reduce the pressure enough for him to hobble the 18 miles back to the truck without ever getting to hike up the mountain.

Got to pay attention to your feet as soon as discomfort develops...while blisters aren't always avoidable, addressing hot spots right away can keep them from wrecking a hunt.