Lathrop and sons--my experience

aeroflot

FNG
I wanted to share my experience with L&S but wanted to wait until I had tested them for a while. I tend to be a paralysis by analysis kind of guy and read everything on here/elsewhere before purchasing about 18 months ago. I had had numbness in my big toes with both Danners and Meindl. I also had had numbness along the outside of my left foot in Meindl. My last problem was an upturned big toenail on my left foot that would jab into the end of my boot at times while going downhill. This would send an electric jolt down my toe.

I had my consult with them and we talked for about an hour over the phone about problems I had had with previous boots. They explained what was causing my problems and what could fix them. They said I needed a wider footbox, a better heel cup and that they would mold the footboy on my left boot to vault over that upturned big toenail. They recommended either their custom package or the Lowa Tibets with custom synergy footbeds. I went with the full custom package. I ordered in February 2020 and got them in June. They talked to me when I put them on and went over fit, lacing, and care.

I can say for sure that these were the most comfortable boot I have worn out of the box and it hasn't changed a couple hundred miles in. I first wore to hunt Sept 2020 after wearing them around the farm for an 1-2 hours a day or so. I wore them all fall, this spring for bear, on a 50 miler with a 40# pack this summer, and finally for 12 straight days on a sheep hunt with a 55-75# pack. I did not clean them after every use like I have seen some recommend in order to keep the waterproof membrane functioning well. I did clean them and re-condition them in between each of the above major season changes. I have never had a hot spot. My numbness is gone. I don't get the electric jolt down my toe anymore.

Specifically, on the sheep hunt, I never had any leaking which I was nervous about after reading one of the reviews on here. For those that have waded rivers up in the north country using the gaiter/raingear-with-a-tie-around-the-boot method, I did have some water come over the tops of my boots and both my guide and I thought maybe it was because L&S is a little shorter boot compared to some of the other boots out there. Perhaps a taller boot would have helped prevent this. My dad wondered if I should have done gaiter over the top of the raingear. I was doing the raingear over the top of the gaiter like my guide did. Luckily, this was on the second to last day that we encountered the above knee wading. I ended up spending the last day and half with wet boots. But I got a ram on that last day, so all is well. Even walking with wet boots up the mountain and back, my feet were not slipping around in the boots and I never developed any blisters, etc.

Hope this is helpful for someone. I would definitely purchase these again.

medic man

FNG
Lathrop and sons have been nothing but good to me. The boots are a little stiff by design…. I won’t buy any other brand.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I am spoiled. Lathrop & Sons is located in the community where I work. Used their custom fit system and was able to have them adjust the Zamberlans I purchased to more specifically fit my feet. Great boots.

I do have a pair of their Elite Hunters and although the fit is great, they are stiff. Since I only get out west every year of so, they are really too stiff for most of my treks in the midwest.

Steve and James have been very good to work with.