Blackhorn 209 and non-sabot bullets not an ethical combination

BH209 definitely very popular but finding the "correct" primers was impossible to locate. As of today, I have not located any and sort of gave up for now and using Triple 7 which has been going boom much more consistently out of my CVA wolf. That's what I will hunt with this season. Maybe I will revisit BH209 someday, now that I own two containers of it and it has good shelf life.
Can you post a picture of the end of your current breech plug? Only asking because for my dads cva to fire BH209 it requires a different breach plug. It's dome like and shorter distance from the primer to powder.

BH209 like a nice engine, it does take a hot shotgun primer to send it. Just as I run 91 octane in my motorcycle.

I can bet your having a ignition issue. I will only use 777 if a hunt requires it.

I've had less failures using bh209 during hunting.

Which primer may work the best and most consistent is really tied directly to your breech plug and the outside temps. Western Powders always recommended Magnum primers because they had no idea what type of rifle or breech plug your rifle might have. And their whole goal was to have the powder go bang when the primer ignited it.

I really do not like to use Mag primers! they fill the flash channel more quickly with debris and wear the flash hole faster than a normal primer. Yet! there are rifles with breech plugs that are not really conducive to BH powder, so the safe thing is using a Mag primer.

I personally use Winchester W209's because they fit my Knight breech plugs better. but, as mentioned with the right BP all 209 Shotgun primers can work. also be aware there are 209 primers ot there specifically designed for Muzzleloaders - this are not the best bet with BH at all.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Them Cheddites will work if he would get some o-rings and if the flash channel is cleaned properly. Surely if its leaking that bad its belching T7 fouling into the breech also. Make very sure you take out the firing pin bushing and cleaned as directed in the manual.

Wait too long and it will be a rusted mess in there.

BH209 definitely very popular but finding the "correct" primers was impossible to locate. As of today, I have not located any and sort of gave up for now and using Triple 7 which has been going boom much more consistently out of my CVA wolf. That's what I will hunt with this season. Maybe I will revisit BH209 someday, now that I own two containers of it and it has good shelf life.
You might want to shop that BH209 around.

Guys are doing dirty things for a bottle of the precious.

Night with significant other is going rate around here for a bottle. Unfortunately for me the one neighbor likes dudes…ended up with three bottles! Hahaha!

OP
GCMan

GCMan

FNG
Now I need to some o-rings to go muzzleloader hunting? "Oh ****, I forgot the o-rings back at the truck." When someone first mentioned this, I thought they were teasing me. How did the early pioneers manage this? I'm sure they would have starved if their lives depended on BH209. This seems a little much. Reminds me of a girlfriend who only did gluten free. That didn't last very long.

IMG_20220808_181512_01.jpg

IMG_20220809_063626_01.jpg

OP
GCMan

GCMan

FNG
Them Cheddites will work if he would get some o-rings and if the flash channel is cleaned properly. Surely if its leaking that bad its belching T7 fouling into the breech also. Make very sure you take out the firing pin bushing and cleaned as directed in the manual.

Wait too long and it will be a rusted mess in there.
No mind. It's not an expensive gun so I won't worry. The gun serves to take game. T7 noticeable more difficult to clean then BH209. I can come back to the gun a week later and I have new layer of build up with t7. That was not an issue with BH209.

Now I need to some o-rings to go muzzleloader hunting? "Oh ****, I forgot the o-rings back at the truck." When someone first mentioned this, I thought they were teasing me. How did the early pioneers manage this? I'm sure they would have starved if their lives depended on BH209. This seems a little much. Reminds me of a girlfriend who only did gluten free. That didn't last very long.

View attachment 441077

View attachment 441078
That the same plug thats in dads. I would try a non muzzleloader primer before giving up on it! If you ever make it to KC, we can go shoot them. If it works I'll give you a pack of non muzzleloader primers. I've found a brick of them.

Respectfully disagree.

Up until Hodgdon took over, Western was doing yearly testing of their first lot number of BH209. There was no degrading and it remained consistent. If its stored properly, it has an unlimited shelf life.
Anything special your doing to store it?

I have a fair amount of it. Thanks to Walmart and going on clearance last fall.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Now I need to some o-rings to go muzzleloader hunting? "Oh ****, I forgot the o-rings back at the truck."
No you only need 1 oring to hunt but it sounds like you are happy with a filthy breech. I guess the obvious went right over you. It stays put in the primer pocket for 20 shots...maybe more.

ENCORE

WKR
Anything special your doing to store it?

I have a fair amount of it. Thanks to Walmart and going on clearance last fall.
Nothing special. My loading room is in the basement and I run a dehumidifier 24/7/365, keeping the humidity level no higher than 39%.

I have an additional dozen 10oz bottles not seen in the photo.

IMG_2426.JPG

OP
GCMan

GCMan

FNG
No you only need 1 oring to hunt but it sounds like you are happy with a filthy breech. I guess the obvious went right over you. It stays put in the primer pocket for 20 shots...maybe more.
Thanks. Didn't know that.. I'd like a picture of that. I thought they went around the primer before seating the primer in place and one per shot. Good to know.

OP
GCMan

GCMan

FNG
I did notice the T7 was forming balls or clumps in my little tin of powder that I use while on the range. I am assuming its picking up moisture. It still ignited fine for now. I think the shelf live for t7 is like one year and that was my sign to use it up. I just store in the garage but MO has very high humidity in the summer months.

OP
GCMan

GCMan

FNG
These are the primers I am using regardless of T7 or BH209. I also have some muzzy primers I started with.

Attachments

• IMG_20220818_092359943.jpg
    IMG_20220818_092359943.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 6
Thanks. Didn't know that.. I'd like a picture of that. I thought they went around the primer before seating the primer in place and one per shot. Good to know.
O-rings are a very simple fix for many of us with a leaky breech. If your primers come out looking like the one on the left below an o-ring may be the answer. They should all look like the right one.

0E191939-AA3F-4817-849C-1BEAF78C138D.jpegD58115EF-D197-47C0-95A0-BB13A80F9A32.jpeg

OP
GCMan

GCMan

FNG
O-rings are a very simple fix for many of us with a leaky breech. If your primers come out looking like the one on the left below an o-ring may be the answer. They should all look like the right one.

View attachment 441337View attachment 441338
Awesome. Appreciate that. I do get a lot of residue blow back especially with the T7 and the bigger the charge, the more residue I get. I can save a few and post them as reference.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Use Fed 209A or CCI 209 mag primers if you don’t want misfires.
I've gone through ~50 thor bullets using BH209 with specifically these primers and haven't ever had misfire in two CVA muzzies with the BH209 plug in a few years. This include range and hunting. Sorry but don't try to regulate away a combo that hasn't had a single issue for many folks using the right components.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would love to hear from someone shooting BH209 successfully from a CVA wolf and their entire setup.
I use an optima and an accura, can't comment on wolf but can't see how its different. BH breech plug, 100gr by volume, thor bullet pushed down with moderate force but nothing overly hard, CCI or Fed 209A primer. It has reliably gone boom.

BH209 definitely very popular but finding the "correct" primers was impossible to locate.

A few things one learns over the years (and I'm not that old) around reloading and gun stuff. Stock up on things you know you need (like a couple years worth) and ideally these things are desired by other people so when times get tricky barter for what you need. I needed some more 209s last year and I wanted CCI or Fed 209A only, so I traded some CCI small pistol primers (also desirable) for Fed 209A, now I have 500 of those which will last me for the foreseeable future.

Its not some crazy prepper mindset to have the components you need to be able to keep shooting for a couple years because in the last decade we've had a few waves of component shortages and they typically take a couple years to iron themselves out till the next one starts for whatever reason. Keep an ear out and resupply when something crosses your path at a reasonable cost. Trade as needed when you're in a bind.