Best wheel gun setup for griz protection?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys that carry the 329 pd on your chest. Please give me an honest review.

I need to go this route but have been putting it off. Learned it is easy to leave your weapon on pack while taking care of an animal and not realize it.

sorry my reading skills evidently aren't that great :)

mine is a S&W 69 (2.75"), not a 329; it carries very nicely in the Razco attached to my bino harness- it's easy to draw and always handy (if you keep the harness on); for me processing a game animal is always the most "delicate" time hunting in grizzly country- Montana bears have very much adapted to the sound of a rifle shot equating to food

my comment that "kicks like a mule might be kind" still stands though :D

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I think if you are familiar with the 1911 and that’s what you like then a 10mm one would absolutely be useful although it’s not a common weapon in bear country. As was pointed out, even the ultralight revolvers can shoot 255g bullets bit can those 1911s handle a 220g ? And even so, you only get one more round than a revolver. Like I said though, if you’re a 1911 guy and like them, sure.

For me personally, I like 1911s but never considered getting one in 10mm.
Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated.

sorry my reading skills evidently aren't that great :)

mine is a S&W 69 (2.75"), not a 329; it carries very nicely in the Razco attached to my bino harness- it's easy to draw and always handy (if you keep the harness on); for me processing a game animal is always the most "delicate" time hunting in grizzly country- Montana bears have very much adapted to the sound of a rifle shot equating to food

my comment that "kicks like a mule might be kind" still stands though :D
May I ask what bino harness you use? I have a muley freak but see on the website Razco mentions the FHF.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's a FHF (medium I think)

I'm pretty sure they have two mounting systems- one to work with the FHF and another that works with other harnesses

Beendare

WKR
I have a SW 629 classic .44 with a 5" barrel that is a great revolver but it gets heavy packing it all over holy hell. I think if I was buying a new revolver specifically for Big bears...it would be the 329PD. I know a few guys using them and they have not had any issues with up to 300gr hard cast loads.

I've borrowed a buddies and shot a fair amount of HC cartridges through it. Its a beast for recoil but a good trigger and its accurate.

I now carry a stock G20 SF 10mm with the underwood 200gr HC loads and wouldnt go back to my revolver mainly because I draw and shoot that Glock platform a lot...so its intuitive for me. The 329 is about the same weight as the G20.

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
What revolver do you shoot the best/are most comfortable with?

I have slide guns and cylinder guns. I shoot each of them quite well and I shoot a lot. While I love the S&W 460 XVR and get a rush out of shooting it, I wouldn't want to have to use it in a "crisis moment." All the years that I guided, I carried a Ruger RedHawk .44Mag with a 6" barrel. I shoot it well and it comes to point quickly for me. Even with that the couple of times that I actually drew it because a grizz was quickly approaching my hunter and I, it was still a strange feeling holding it on the bear and praying that the bear turned and went another direction. (fortunately they all did and I never had the experience of a Grizz with a .44 caliber bullet in it coming for me!)

I've settled on a 329 with X-Frame grips loaded with 265gr copper wide meplat bullets that act similarly as heavier hardcast lead. It's light enough that I will bring it when I should, yet effective enough. I've had a couple 500's and I certainly would rather have it on me if I needed to shoot a bear with a handgun, but I could never find a good way to carry it along with the other gear.

If there were a lighter weight but strong 45 colt revolver, or 4" 480 Ruger out there, I may favor one of those but I think my 329 setup is about as the most practical as I can get.

TheGDog

WKR
From a single individuals weapon, what is the most number of rounds an individual involved in a DL shooting against Grizz or Brown has managed to fire successfully during the charge of said Bear?

Just asking since a lot of times many of us cite having those higher round counts as a big positive about using said weapon. But I wonder honestly... what is the average number of rounds people are able to successfully squeeze off whilst hunting for bears and they've had one of these large bears initiate a charge from 50yd and under?

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
It is an individual choice for everyone. If in grizzly territory I carry my Ruger Super Redhawk Toklat .454 Casull loaded with 325 gr. hard cast loads. The 5" barrel is obviously lighter weight than the long barrel versions, but you pay for it in the recoil department, it is quite stout. Carried in a Simply Rugged chest rig.

From a single individuals weapon, what is the most number of rounds an individual involved in a DL shooting against Grizz or Brown has managed to fire successfully during the charge of said Bear?

Just asking since a lot of times many of us cite having those higher round counts as a big positive about using said weapon. But I wonder honestly... what is the average number of rounds people are able to successfully squeeze off whilst hunting for bears and they've had one of these large bears initiate a charge from 50yd and under?
I have read it will be one and done. That is reason to carry as much horsepower as you can. IMHO

Outlaw99

WKR
To everyone using a razco holster; have any of you had issues with the tightness of the detent? I have one for my 329, and no matter what I do, it is still a lot more grippy than I’d like.

Carry/ shoot what your both comfortable and proficient with. These posts come up all the time and I think it’s unfair to make blanket statements that this or that is too heavy or just plain kicks too hard.

I have both a 329 and a G20; I carry and shoot them both often. I shoot them well and have confidence in both. I don’t want to spend a day at the range sending a 100 44’s with the 329, but short sessions to practice and maintain confidence are fine.

Trr15

WKR
I recently picked up a 460 s&w w/5” barrel from another guy on here. That’ll be my bear country side arm for the foreseeable future. It’s a beast of a handgun and the muzzle blast is pretty impressive, but the recoil isn’t as bad as I had expected. I just got a Gunfighter chest rig for it and and can carry it comfortably under my bino harness. Pretty happy with the setup based on the few hikes I’ve taken it on so far. Can’t imagine carrying it on a belt/pack belt.

TheGDog

WKR
The G29 I just picked up, other than swapping out to Trijicon night sights and adding an OLight Valkyrie Mini-2 (I think it was Beendare? that turned me on to them, thank you!). I *might* do a trigger replacement/improvement. And that's it. Dig this thing! A "FistFul of Fireball" I call it!

After the mods seems like the perfect back-country weapon. Small enough, compact, not too terribly heavy, definitely Accurate.

I have read it will be one and done. That is reason to carry as much horsepower as you can. IMHO

Yeah man... I figure at best... at best... since placement is crucial... you're talking one shot where you take a few extra milliseconds to try and place it right... then likely remainder of possible shots are just "center of moving blob" and hope you don't get lacerated or punctured bad before he dies.

slvrslngr

WKR
An option not yet mentioned, is the S&W 629 Mountain Gun. Lighter than the standard models, heavier than the Scandium frame. Might take some effort to find one.

Regardless of what you decide to carry, they’re all a compromise. Weight, capacity, firepower. Whatever you buy, practice, practice, practice!

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if this was mentioned but switching the grips on the 329 over to x-frame grips makes a world of difference. Honestly like a completely different gun to me. I mostly shoot plinking loads through mine but do run 310 hard cast hand loads that are pretty hot through it as well. The x frame grips make it pain free

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
To everyone using a razco holster; have any of you had issues with the tightness of the detent? I have one for my 329, and no matter what I do, it is still a lot more grippy than I’d like.

my Razco is very secure, but drawing hasn't been any issue- very smooth/quick presentation

might give them a call, there might be a simple fix?

dla

WKR
A loaded 329 is 31oz. A loaded G20 is 40oz. The weight matters. You aren't going to get 15 shots. (6) 44mag rounds will put a lot of hurt on a critter.
The 10mm is essentially a 357mag - not a 44mag.